Sydney bus route 190X
Westfield Warringah Mall
|Timetable||Transport for NSW|
Sydney bus route 190X is a peak-hour limited-stop bus service operated by State Transit between Avalon and Wynyard station. Until it was curtailed from Palm Beach to Avalon in December 2020, it was the longest commuter bus route operated by State Transit with a distance of 42 kilometres (26 mi).
On 3 August 1953, route 150 Palm Beach to Wynyard station was renumbered 190. In April 1986 Mercedes-Benz O305 articulated buses replaced Leyland Atlantean double-deckers after curves on Barrenjoey Road were widened at Bilgola. In the 1990s, route 190 services were renumbered as L90 to designate it was a limited stops service. It was also extended from Wynyard station to Railway Square. In October 2015, this latter section was withdrawn when bus routes along George Street were withdrawn to facilitate CBD and South East Light Rail construction works.
The route is known for its ocean scenery along the journey. It is also popular with hikers planning to walk from Palm Beach back towards Sydney. In March 2013 Australian diecast model company Transit Graphics released a 1:76 scale model of a Mercedes-Benz O305 bus operating on route L90.
Route 190 was discontinued when the B-Line opened on 26 November 2017. L90 was reduced to a 60 minute frequency during weekday off-peaks and weekends. On 3 May 2020 this route was renumbered 190X to standardise route numbers. In December 2020 it was curtailed to become a peak-hour only service from Avalon to Wynyard. In October 2021 it will be included in the takeover of region 8 by Keolis Downer Northern Beaches.
As at December 2020, route 190X operated via these primary locations:
- Frost, Carleen (28 October 2010). "2hrs 5mins – Sydney's longest bus trip". The Manly Daily. Archived from the original on 11 July 2012. Retrieved 18 January 2011.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- Travers, Greg (1982). From City to Suburb...a fifty year journey. Historic Commercial Vehicle Association. p. 101. ISBN 0959601627.
- Withdrawal of Deckers from Avalon / Palm Beach Services Fleetline issue 130 May 1986 page 84
- $51M bendy bus investment Australasian Bus & Coach 6 July 2011
- A new CBD bus network Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine Transport for New South Wales
- Askin, Pauline (26 December 2008). "Travel Postcard: 48 hours for beachlovers in Sydney". uk.reuters.com. Archived from the original on 28 May 2021. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- Jellie, Dugald (19 August 2008). "Along the broken shore". smh.com.au. Archived from the original on 7 November 2012. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- "Sydney Buses (Route L90) Mercedes-Benz O305G". Archived from the original on 27 January 2021. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- Bus Changes November 2017 Archived 2017-10-29 at the Wayback Machine, Transport NSW Info
- New bus service plan for the Northern Beaches and the Lower North Shore B-Line
- Bus service changes in May Archived 3 May 2020 at the Wayback Machine Transport for NSW 20 April 2020
- "State Transit route 190X". Transport for NSW.
- Northern Beaches and Lower North Shore bus service improvements Transport for NSW 9 October 2020
- New Bus Operator to Electrify Fleet Transport for NSW 28 May 2021
- Route 190X timetable Transport for NSW 20 December 2020