|Vehicle||Gemilang Coachworks bodied MAN A95s|
|Began service||26 November 2017|
|Frequency||3-4 minutes (peak)|
up to 10 minutes (off-peak)
|Journey time||65 minutes|
|Timetable||Transport for NSW|
B-line B1 Route
In November 2015, Transport for New South Wales (TfNSW) announced the construction of a 27 kilometre bus rapid transit network between Newport on the Northern Beaches and the Sydney central business district. It began operating on 26 November 2017 as route B1 between Mona Vale and Wynyard Park. A planned extension to Newport was later cancelled. The route is operated by double deck buses.
Route B1 services stop at nine B-Line stops at Mona Vale, Warriewood, Narrabeen, Collaroy, Dee Why, Brookvale, Manly Vale, Spit Junction and Neutral Bay. Commuter car parks are being built at Mona Vale, Warriewood, Narrabeen, Dee Why, Brookvale and Manly Vale.
Buses on the B-Line will trial Mobileye, a new forward-facing collision avoidance technology system which has been developed by Intel.
In the first year of operation to November 2018, 5.9 million passengers were carried.
Changes to Northern Beaches bus network
- Discontinuation of 23 routes such as E84, E86, E87, L84, L85, L87, L88, 130, 140, 153, 179, 187 and 190
- Introduction of 4 new routes in addition to route B1
- Reduction of service times and frequency to L90
- Extension of M30 from Spit Junction to Taronga Zoo, replacing daytime route 247 services
- Renumbering non-discontinued L routes to E routes
To operate the B-Line, 38 Gemilang Coachworks bodied MAN A95s were purchased. They have audio/video systems on board that announce the next stops, along with connections and places of interest at the stop. Painted in a dedicated yellow and blue livery, these are the first double deck buses to be operated by a NSW government operator since the Urban Transit Authority withdrew its last Leyland Atlanteans in 1986.
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
All B-Line bus stops incorporate a real-time passenger information display that displays the departure time, destination, route number and number of passengers on board the next few buses to arrive at the stop (including non B-Line services).
Wynyard Park is the southern terminus of the line. The B-Line drops off passengers on York Street and picks up passengers from Stand B on Carrington Street. This stop connects the B-Line to train services at Wynyard railway station.
The Neutral Bay citybound bus stop is located on Military Road between Rangers Road and Wycombe Road. Citybound B-Line buses depart from Stand A, along with all other citybound buses. Commuters can change here for bus services towards Chatswood, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydenham, North Sydney and Milsons Point The northbound bus stop is located between Young Street and Waters Road. Northbound B-Line buses depart from Stand E, along with all other Northern Beaches buses. Commuters can change here for buses towards Balmoral Beach, Taronga Zoo and Mosman Junction.
Spit Junction (Mosman)
The Spit Junction citybound bus stop is located on a newly built pedestrian plaza on Clifford Street. This bus stop started operating concurrently with the B-Line, with the older bus stop located closer to the junction of Military Road and Spit Road being closed. To facilitate its construction, a disused Greater Union cinema was purchased and demolished. The northbound bus stop remains in the same location on Spit Road although, like all other stops, fitted with new seating and real-time passenger information displays.
The Manly Vale bus stop is located on Condamine Street north of Kenneth Road. The bus stops at Manly Vale feature weather protection. The bus stop also features one of the six new commuter car parks which have been planned for B-Line bus stops. The Manly Vale B-Line commuter car park consists of a three-stories structure which has 150 spaces and incorporates around 9000 plants in a breathing green wall, helping to reduce air pollutants for nearby residents.
Brookvale (Warringah Mall)
Serves the nearby Westfield Warringah Mall shopping centre. Commuters can change here for bus services towards Chatswood, Frenchs Forest, Manly as Northern Beaches surrounds. A commuter car park is available at this stop.
Commuters can change here for peak hour services to Chatswood. A commuter car park is available at this stop.
A commuter car park is available at this stop.
A commuter car park is available at this stop.
- Newport B-Line
- No B-Line extension to Newport Australian Bus issue 89 September 2018 page 9
- New B-Line to transform Northern Beaches Bus travel Transport for NSW 9 November 2015
- Mike Baird's B-Line rapid bus routes for northern beaches Sydney Morning Herald 9 November 2015
- Thousands of new transport services starting at a stop, wharf and station near you Transport for NSW 15 October 2017
- "State Transit route B1". Transport for NSW.
- Sydney Metro MAN A95 buses delivered Australasian Bus & Coach 30 November 2017
- Making a B-Line for safety Transport for NSW 13 September 2018
- B-Line success - $5.9 million passenger trips in first year Transport for NSW 6 December 2018
- Northern Beaches and Lower North Shore bus service improvements Transport for NSW 9 October 2020
- "State Transit route BN1". Transport for NSW.
- Northern Beaches bus service plan Transport New South Wales
- Bus Changes November 2017 Archived 2017-10-29 at the Wayback Machine, Transport NSW Info
- MAN double-deckers for Sydney Northern Beaches Australasian Bus & Coach 15 September 2016
- B-Line Australian Bus Panorama issue 32/4 January 2017 page 27
- Room at the top: double deckers return to Sydney Sydney Morning Herald 24 August 2012
- "Wynyard - CBD". Your Say B-Line Northern Beaches. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Neutral Bay". Your Say B-Line Northern Beaches. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Mosman and Spit Junction". Your Say B-Line Northern Beaches. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- Spit Junction cinema to be demolished to make way for B-Line rapid transit bus service North Shore Times 27 January 2016
- Work begins to clear old cinema building at Spit Junction Transport for NSW 27 February 2017
- "Manly Vale". Your Say B-Line Northern Beaches. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- Manly Vale Car Park Junglefly
- "Brookvale". Your Say B-Line Northern Beaches. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Dee Why". Your Say B-Line Northern Beaches. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Collaroy". Your Say B-Line Northern Beaches. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Narrabeen". Your Say B-Line Northern Beaches. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Warriewood". Your Say B-Line Northern Beaches. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Mona Vale". Your Say B-Line Northern Beaches. Retrieved 25 May 2018.