|Tahira Qazi |
|Native name||طاھره قاضی|
1 July 1951|
16 December 2014 (aged 63)|
Army Public School Peshawar, Pakistan
|Cause of death||Murder by shooting|
33° 58′ 46″ N, 71° 32′ 41″ E
Early life and career
Tahira Qazi was born on July 1, 1951 in Mardan, Pakistan where she attended early schooling. She completed her master’s degree in English from University of Peshawar and started her teaching career in the 1970s. Tahira was principal of Army Public School, Peshawar since 2006 and was set to retire in May 2015. According to her students she was English teacher. One of her students told regarding her in an interview, "The first thing that comes to my mind is that she was very strict and good in English."
On 16 December 2014, Taliban militants attacked Army Public School Peshawar. Tahira Qazi tried to protect the children and jumped forward in front of the militants and said, "I am their mother. Talk to me." She was killed by a shot to the head.
Tahira Qazi was laid to rest in Landi Arbab village.
- "In praise of … Tahira Qazi | Hugh Muir | Comment is free". The Guardian. 2014-03-13. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "'I Shall Rise and Shine' ‹ Newsweek Pakistan". Newsweekpakistan.com. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Marszal, Andrew. "Inside the Pakistan school: harrowing images reveal full terror of Taliban attack". Telegraph. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Ahmed, Riaz. "Tahira Qazi: Life lived on principles - The Express Tribune". Tribune.com.pk. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Mansoor, Halima. "Tahira Qazi: To mother, with love - The Express Tribune". Tribune.com.pk. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Tahira Kazi: Peshawar school principal who was burnt alive by Taliban for marrying a Pak army officer : Neighbours, News - India Today". Indiatoday.intoday.in. 2014-12-17. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Lower Macungie woman recalls her sister's death as part of Pakistan's 'darkest day' - The Morning Call". Mcall.com. 2015-03-03. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Hughes, Chris (2014-12-17). "Pakistan school attack: Brave teacher torched by Taliban terrorists after ''over my dead body'' vow - Mirror Online". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Taliban School Invasion: Principal burnt alive before pupils because she married a soldier" (in German). Pulse.ng. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Pakistan's valiant, unsung heroes | ARY NEWS". Arynews.tv. 2015-02-28. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "The complete list of recipients of awards on Pakistan Day - The Express Tribune". Tribune.com.pk. 2015-03-24. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "School carnage victims to get bravery award - Pakistan". Dawn.Com. 2015-03-06. Retrieved 2015-05-13.