|WikiProject United States / Ohio||(Rated C-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Cities||(Rated C-class, Low-importance)|
I removed the reference to the 'trash-tabula' website. Irrelevant, at best. I left the terms 'Trash-tabula' and 'Ashta-beautiful'. Anyone who has lived there knows that both of these terms are used freely to describe one's attitude towards the city.
Some additional trivia about Ashtabula: Father Guido Sarducci, a character created and played by Jay Novello, who was born in Ashtabula, became a regular on Saturday Night Live shows.
Patti Prince (formerly Patti Del Prince of Harmon Road in Ashtabula) is the wife of Pat Cooper, ethnic Italian comedian and actor.
Kurt Vonnegut mentions "Ashtabula" in his novel Breakfast of Champions on page 192 of my Bantam paperback copy.
In the movie Abbott and Costello In the Navy there is a jackass whose name is "Ashtabula."
More Ashtabula trivia: In the Novel Serpico, the hero's birthplace is stated as Ashtabula, Ohio. Interestingly, the Wikipedia article makes no mention of Ashtabula's annual Blessing of the Fleet, its Marine Museum, or the history of Ashtabula Harbor. Other ethnic groups in Ashtabula until the 1980's had significant numbers of Americans of Irish, Portuguese, and Eastern European descent. Ashtabula historically was industrialized by trade on the Great Lakes and the shipment of coal and iron ore. This was shipped to Ashtabula via large cargo vessels and then transferred at its railhead. These materials were then shipped to Youngstown, Pittsburgh and other venues for the manufacture of steel. Ashtabulans who attend college often resettle in Columbus or Cleveland after graduation. Like many young Ohioans, they may leave the state and be drawn to urban centers like Chicago, Washington D.C., and other venues. M.E. Copas
I think someone needs to add a pronunciation key to the article. I've always pronounced it "ash-tuh-BYU-la", but I heard someone on the radio today pronounce it "ash-TAB-yula". Oldiesmann (talk) 02:19, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- You are correct, it is pronounced "ash-tuh-BYU-la". Automated voices and those unfamiliar with the town will mis-pronounce it, often emphasizing the "TAB" or sometimes, "STAB" in the middle of the name. I lived in this city for 18 years. [If I knew]/[When I learn] how to make a pronunciation key, I [would]/[will] do so. --Avicennasis @ 03:52, 11 February 2010 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 4 external links on Ashtabula, Ohio. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive http://www.webcitation.org/64vfLAeJ2?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.census.gov%2Fgeo%2Fwww%2Fgazetteer%2Ffiles%2FGaz_places_national.txt to http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/files/Gaz_places_national.txt
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20130911234518/http://factfinder2.census.gov to http://factfinder2.census.gov
- Added archive https://timetravel.mementoweb.org/memento/2010/http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/files/2010_place_list_39.txt to http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/files/2010_place_list_39.txt
- Added archive http://www.webcitation.org/6YSasqtfX?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.census.gov%2Fprod%2Fwww%2Fdecennial.html to http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.