Talk:Bamboo painting

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Something seems to have beem lost in translation. The subject here is Ink paintings of bamboo. In English, "Ink bamboo" would be a type of bamboo that provided ink. One might similarly not expect to find chalk sketches of sitter's heads under the title Chalk head. Etc. --Wetman (talk) 02:33, 4 July 2009 (UTC)

The appeal has been made to me at my talkpage "A case can be made that the use of bamboo brushes and ink to paint a still-life depicting a section of a living bamboo plant is a genuine motif of East Asian visual art worthy of enumerated recognition." Every educated person is aware of this grand Chinese and Japanese tradition of scholar painters. The subject is without question well worth a competent and comprehensive Wikipedia article; however, the title "Ink bamboo" would not come up as a chapter heading in any literate discourse on East Asian arts. I simply suggest Ink paintings of bamboo as a better, more fluently idiomatic alternative.--Wetman (talk) 20:14, 4 July 2009 (UTC)
I know there are modern versions in other media, but just Bamboo painting Book ghits seems the usual term, or maybe Ink bamboo painting. Both of these should at least be redirects. Johnbod (talk) 22:11, 4 July 2009 (UTC)