Batavia, New Hampshire
MapQuest and Google never heard of it, and neither have I...
Per the style guide ([]) I removed the dictionary definitions (dicdefs):
--Commander Keane 10:44, 13 July 2006 (UTC)
Something roughly corresponding to the so-called "dicdef" was restored because it is the primary meaning of this term from which ALL other uses (including the following ones) are derived. Feel free to modify the phrasing as needed, but this needs to be in there. You wouldn't have an article about "Athens" and then go on to discuss the town in Georgia without mentioning its namesake.
Batavia is more important as the older name of Jakarta
The name Batavia is more important as the old name of the Indonesian capital Jakarta. So it would be appropriate if the name is given to an article corresponding to old Jakarta. And the present article can be renamed and listed in the disambiguation page. Please report on this talk page if this should not be done, along with the reason to keep the current article in this name. Aravind V R (talk) 13:52, 15 March 2009 (UTC)
- I agree; a random check of Special:WhatLinksHere/Batavia seems to indicate that they mostly refer to today's Jakarta. I think the page Batavia should be either a redirect to History of Jakarta or a proper article on the name Batavia for Jakarta during colonial times (1619–1942). This article here could either be merged into the existing article on Betuwe, e.g. as a section "History", or into Batavians (more difficult in my opinion), or be renamed to "Batavia (region)" (following the Italian example).
- It was Mausy5043 (talk · contribs) who of this article. I have informed that user about this discussion. Michael Bednarek (talk) 15:31, 15 March 2009 (UTC)
- After two weeks without objection, I'm now going to move this article to Batavia (region) and modify the links in Batavia (disambiguation), id:Batavia (nama) and it:Batavia (regione) accordingly.
- During the move operation, the Wikipedia software will create a REDIRECT page at Batavia pointing to Batavia (region); I will modify that redirect to point to History of Jakarta. -- Michael Bednarek (talk) 02:59, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
- I rather think that some text in the Betuwe article can be removed or moved. The two names are absolutely related, but I haven't seen many claims that they're exactly the same area and this would be hard to verify. Betuwe is the modern name for the region (Batavia is never used anymore) and would be appropriate for the region now. Bataaf van Oranje (Prinsgezinde) (talk) 10:15, 8 July 2016 (UTC)
- I have answered on the Betuwe article. We should keep discussion in one place.--Andrew Lancaster (talk) 19:18, 14 February 2018 (UTC)
- As mentioned there, I think the quality of both articles would be better merged.--Andrew Lancaster (talk) 22:41, 21 February 2018 (UTC)