Selected anniversaries for the "On this day" section of the Main Page
|Please read the selected anniversaries guidelines before editing this box.
December 28: Day of the Holy Innocents (Western Christianity)
- 893 – An earthquake destroyed the city of Dvin, Armenia, causing about 30,000 casualties.
- 1768 – Taksin the Great was crowned king of the newly established Thonburi Kingdom in the new capital at Thonburi, present-day Thailand.
- 1907 – The last confirmed sighting of the now-extinct huia (pictured) took place in the Tararua Ranges, North Island, New Zealand.
- 1973 – U.S. President Richard Nixon signed the Endangered Species Act into law, a wide-ranging environmental law designed to protect critically imperiled species from extinction as a "consequence of economic growth and development untempered by adequate concern and conservation."
- 2009 – A suicide bomber attacked a Shi'ite commemoration in Karachi, Pakistan, during a procession on the Day of Ashura, the holiest of days for followers of Shia Islam.
Thomas Babington Macaulay (d. 1859) · Maurice Ravel (d. 1937)
Twelve Days of Christmas
Today the postman left me four colly birds. Now really, they're beautiful, but don't you think enough is enough? You're being much too romantic.
Agnes18.104.22.168 (talk) 19:45, 7 November 2015 (UTC)