Talk:Deed poll

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Law (Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Law, an attempt at providing a comprehensive, standardised, pan-jurisdictional and up-to-date resource for the legal field and the subjects encompassed by it.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.

Isn't a deed poll stictly UK only? If it is, that should go into the article. [[User:GK|gK ¿?]] 13:52, 22 Dec 2004 (UTC)

No---Deed poll is used to obtain a legal name change in Australia . Felix the Cassowary 09:56, 6 Jan 2005 (UTC)

Then perhaps it is a common to the Commonwealth? gK ¿? 19:43, 6 Jan 2005 (UTC)

England and Wales[edit]

I am slightly confused, because the CAB say that in England and Wales you can change your name by merely adopting a new one, provided there is no intent of fraud or deception. They add that there is no legal way to change your name; in certain circumstances, however, third parties may require evidence of the name change, and a deed poll is one of a number of ways to prove this change. If no-one objects, I'll update the page to reflect that.

See eg

Tom Yates 15:33, 10 April 2006 (UTC)

You are right in part, you do not need a deed poll or statutary delcaration in Enland and Wales, however it is not true to "say there is no legal way to change your name", rather the only legal way to change your name is by using the new one. DP and SD are just to help you convince the eg DVLA and passport authority that you have. It is all explained in Name change#United Kingdom. Billlion 17:15, 10 February 2007 (UTC)

I have changed United Kingdom to England, Wales and Northern Ireland as deed poll does not exist in Scots law. I should know I have changed my name by this process. Davidkinnen 11:06, 17 August 2005 (UTC)

Deed polls are valid in Scotland too. The difference in Scotland is that you can also change your name by recording it on the birth certificate. [User:Gixz|Gixz]] (talk) 00:28, 7 September 2012 (UTC)

The article is still wrong. It states "In some other jurisdictions, a person may simply start using a new name without any formal legal process". As noted above, this is also true in England and Wales, not just "other jursidictions". — Preceding unsigned comment added by Reilly (talkcontribs) 07:08, 29 December 2011 (UTC)

other uses[edit]

Deed Poll is speaking not only used as a mean to change one's name. I have included its use in conveyancing context here. Any other forms of use of Deed Poll? My research shows that there is actually no limitation as to the use of Deed poll - so long it expresses an intention thats ok. --Sunnyhsli 03:54, 19 October 2005 (UTC)

"Not a contract"?[edit]

"It is strictly speaking not a contract because it only binds one party and expresses an intention instead of a promise."

How is it not a contract? For example, in a deed of change of name, wouldn't it be a contract between the person and the government that both will use the new name in, say, tax correspondence? --Damian Yerrick 16:12, 4 November 2005 (UTC)

No, it's a promise by one individual or group thereof to use a different name from their current one. The government may choose to honour it, but that's up to them. Strib 11:33, 13 January 2006 (UTC)