Talk:Glossary of golf

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Glossaries
This article falls within the scope of the WikiProject Glossaries, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Glossaries on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
What is a glossary? It's a specialized type of annotated (stand-alone) list article, where the annotations are descriptions of the terms listed. Glossaries serve the primary functions of lists as well as present definitions to assist topic identification, link selection, and browsing. List structuring and annotation is covered in WP:LISTS, and glossary formatting is covered at Wikipedia:Manual of Style (glossaries).
WikiProject Golf (Rated C-class, Top-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Golf, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Golf-related articles on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Top  This article has been rated as Top-importance on the project's importance scale.


"professional average result" sounds like a backronym to me, especially as the word 'par' has a meaning of 'equality' that predates golf. Does anyone have a reference for this supposed acronym? Varitek 16:30, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC)

Thinking about it, 'par' presumably predates professionalism, too. It's gotta be a backronym. Varitek 16:31, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC)

Golf professionalism predates the first use of "par" (with respect to golf), which, according to the OED, was first used in 1898. Old Tom Morris, among others, was considered a professional some 30 years before, during the 1860's. This acronym has roughly the same legitimacy as the "gentlemen only, ladies forbidden" expression for the word "golf." -turnberry 15 Dec 2004

i.e., none whatsoever . . . Varitek 21:34, 15 Dec 2004 (UTC)


Birdie links to an article about the shuttlecock, chip, drive and shank to disambiguation pages that don't even mention golf, eagle and albatross to articles about the birds, and so on (I haven't tested them all). There seems to be no point in linking most of these terms to anything. Shantavira 17:44, 16 July 2005 (UTC)

I have now checked and removed all the spurious wikilinks as there is never likely to be a whole article about most of these terms. The links were just misleading. Shantavira 13:09, 17 July 2005 (UTC)

Gimmes vs conceded strokes[edit]

Can anyone elucidate the precise distinction here? At first wink it looks like terminology, or "formality" thereof or otherwise. Alai 04:08, 7 September 2005 (UTC)


I don't think that it's a case of "most golfers consider it cheating" I think it's pretty straight forward lying or misrepresentation. The USGA rules of golf describe it at in section 6-2 and 6-6b. Basically giving a handicap that a golfer is not entitled to disqualifies him or her

Nineteenth Hole[edit]

Is it appropriate to add a reference to "The Nineteenth Hole" ? This is very common slang, in the UK at least, meaning the club house and specifically the bar in the club house. It is easily citable but may not be appropriate in a Glossary of Terms....? It is not obviously part of the rules but it is a custom that most golfers follow. There are more people who are more familiar with the concept of the nineteenth hole than with the name given to a stroke such as a "banana ball" or varieties of the game such as a "bye", terms which are included in this glossary. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Matiu matiu (talkcontribs) 14:41, 27 March 2012 (UTC)

glaring omission[edit]

Someone with a command of both concepts and simplified explanation should undertake "Through the green", the most ubiquitous term in the rules of golf

Undertaken. Paul M. Parks (talk) —Preceding comment was added at 04:05, 20 December 2007 (UTC)

2007-02-7 Automated pywikipediabot message[edit]

--CopyToWiktionaryBot 00:14, 7 February 2007 (UTC)


"Schreckbagger" looks like a plant to me, and it was also translated to wiktionary. Discussing here because of greater visibility...

Specifically, aside from the form of the definition (ps?), it is above Sandbagger rather than the appropriate alphabetical space.

...And I've never heard it, but I'm sure there are many words that come into that class. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by (talk) 02:43, 15 February 2007 (UTC).

This is pretty clearly vandalism. It was added in 23 October 2006 by an anonymous user who also made other unexplained and somewhat odd changes. The "has a swing like a dying octopus" (from his description for "Hack") might somehow mean something concrete in golf, but it looks like a plain insult. (Edit: Was not, in fact, removed. The words "dying octopus" were also still there, literally. I find this hard to believe.)
Almost all 56 Google hits for "Schreckbagger" are references or quotes from this article. I think that says it all.

--- Arancaytar - avá artanhé (reply) 15:06, 16 March 2007 (UTC)

Don't see why a link to is necessary. Looks like an easy way to drive traffic.

For the Car Bounce[edit]

Anyone really ever heard of this term? I intend to delete it. Also, hardly belongs under 'J'. JJ (talk) 13:17, 2 April 2008 (UTC)


It would be good if someone would propose a format for these terms that is consistent. The formatting is all over the mat. JJ (talk) 13:35, 17 February 2009 (UTC)

I agree with JJ. The syntax is also all over the place: some definitions are adverbial clauses ("When...," which a professional editor would not allow), noun phrases ("The act of..."), sentence fragments ("Refers to..."), complete sentences (the definition of "All Square"), and on and on. Most definitions in this article are noun phrases so the simplest fix would probably be to make them all noun phrases if someone has the patience and know-how to tackle it. Billfalls (talk) 22:20, 16 May 2010 (UTC)

Up and Down[edit]

Would the author of this entry, or someone else who knows, fix the last sentence? 'A variation is called "up and in"' makes no sense as a sentence and is also ambiguous: do you mean that the phrase "up and in" means the same as "up and down" or has a slightly different meaning? Depending on the meaning, it would be clearer to say '"Up and in" is an equivalent expression' or 'The related term "up and in" refers to...,' followed by a definition. Billfalls (talk) 22:02, 16 May 2010 (UTC)

Hole In One Insurance[edit]

Forgive me (first time poster) but I noticed the Hole in One Insurance entry includes this addendum: "Hole in one insurance is also available for individuals to cover the cost of a round of drinks in the event of them achieving a Hole in one."

Is that an example of someone vandalizing the page in jest? I lack the expertise to amend it myself, so I'm offering it to all of you. Alt-3 (talk) 17:55, 19 June 2011 (UTC)

No - it's true. I just fixed the link to Amex's Hole in One insurance product which specifically mentions this. GXDruid (talk) 20:18, 19 June 2011 (BST)


I can't find "plunk" mentioned anywhere except here and sites that quote the entry here. Zyxwv99 (talk) 23:08, 8 October 2012 (UTC)

Hanging lie[edit]

I don't see an entry here for "hanging lie." The OED defines it as a downhill lie sloping in the direction of play, dating from 1909, but most online golf dictionaries have it as "feet above the ball" or "feet below the ball." Google gives both of the last two definitions. One discussion board mentions the last two conflicting definitions, and says they are used with nearly equal frequency, slightly favoring the former. Probably the OEDs definition was the original, then the meaning shifted. Even though the term is now worse than ambiguous, a clarifying entry might be helpful. Zyxwv99 (talk) 23:16, 8 October 2012 (UTC)

Obsolete terms[edit]

I have added a link to "Obsolete golf clubs", but IMHO a good glossary should include terms that, while they may not be in common use (esp. in North America), are part of the literature and history and may still be in use in some places. I'll bet that at St. Andrews they still speak of "mashies". Most glossaries include some words marked as "old", "obsolete", "archaic", etc., and it would be good to have them all in one place so someone looking up a golfing word in a 1920s novel can find it here. I am an amateur philologist but not a golfer, so over to you golf aficianados! D A Patriarche (talk) 17:12, 27 February 2014 (UTC)