|WikiProject Africa||(Rated Stub-class)|
Bibliographic suggestions about the The Caliphate of Hamdallahi by Mauro Nobili
Please see comments about the publications underneath them.
- Ba, A.H., Daget, J., 1955, L’empire peul du Macina (1818–1853), Dakar, Institut Français d’Afrique Noire.
This is the main reference study on the topic which is based on oral sources, now a bit outdated.
- Sanankoua, B., 1990, Un empire peul au xixe siècle: la Diina du Maasina, Paris, Karthala – ACCT.
This is a reduced version of the thesis by Sananoua (1984). It’s a work mainly focused on the administration of the caliphate.
- Brown, W.A., 1968, “Toward a chronology for the Caliphate of Hamdullahi (Māsina)”, Cahiers d’Études Africaines, 8 (31), p. 428-434.
It’s a tentative to provide a chronological order to the “facts” related to the caliphate on the based on the analysis of some manuscript sources. The article appears in the unpublished version of the thesis.
- Brown, W.A., 1969, The Caliphate of Hamdullahi, ca. 1818–1864: A study in African history and tradition, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Wisconsin.
His thesis represents the only substantial contribution to the topic in English. It’s very raw and little worked.
- Johnson, M., 1976, “The economic foundations of an Islamic theocracy: The case of Masina”, Journal of African History, 17 (4), p. 481-495.
This is a classical contribtion to the topic in English.
- Bohas, G., Saguer, A., Salvaing, B., Kouloughli, D.E., 2011, L’inspiration de l’éternel: éloge de Shékou Amadou, fondateur de l’empire peul du Macina, par Muḥammad b. ‘Alī Pereejo, Brinon-sur-Sauldre, Grandvaux – VECMAS.
This is a recent translation of the hagiography of the founder caliph Ahmad Lobbo. It contains a very important introduction, which represents nowadays the best introduction to the history of caliphate.
- Nobili, M., Mathee, M.S., 2015, “Towards a new study of the so-called Tārīkh al-fattāsh”, History in Africa, 42, p. 37-73.
- Mauro Nobili, « A propaganda document in support of the 19th century Caliphate of Ḥamdallāhi: Nūḥ b. al-Ṭāhir al-Fulānī’s “Letter on the appearance of the twelfth caliph” (Risāla fī ẓuhūr al-khalīfa al-thānī ʻashar) », Afriques [En ligne], 07 | 2016, mis en ligne le 12 décembre 2016, consulté le 27 juin 2017.
These two works are focused on the role of writing and the processes of authority building in the caliphate. These studies suggest a new theory in relation to the famous chronical story of Tarikh al-fattash which the author believes that it is a work of the 19 century.
- Youssouf Diallo, "Barani : une chefferie satellite des grands États du XIXe siècle," Cahiers d'études africaines Année 1994 Volume 34 Numéro 133 pp. 359-384 AND Mirjam de Bruijn and Han van Dijk, "Ecology and Power in the Periphery of Maasina: The Case of the Hayre in the Nineteenth-Century," The Journal of African History, Vol. 42, No. 2 (2001), pp. 217-238
This is a study on two peripheries of the caliphate.
Recommendation collected during the ECAS workshop Workshop ECAS Basel 2017 - Literature and sources about African cities and open access. --Iopensa (talk) 14:04, 28 June 2017 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Hamdullahi. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110722215725/http://www.sgg.gov.ml/Ccm/ccm25juill07.pdf to http://www.sgg.gov.ml/Ccm/ccm25juill07.pdf
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.