|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the KickassTorrents article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This page was nominated for deletion on 11 September 2012 (UTC). The result of the discussion was keep.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
KAT Domains Seized: Information Incorrect
STOP POSTING INACCURATE INFORMATION.
Would the editors please stop people from posting misleading and inaccurate information? The only domain that the FBI seized was KAT.cr. The other domains were taken offline voluntarily by the administrators, as reported by the torrent news site Torrentfreak:
The proxy sites were taken offline voluntarily after KAT.cr was seized by feds. They only seized the domain name, NOT the site itself nor the servers. Get the facts straight.
More info to be added.
|This edit request has been answered. Set the
- Not done: it's not clear what changes you want to be made. Please mention the specific changes in a "change X to Y" format. EvergreenFir (talk) 03:36, 23 July 2016 (UTC)
- I think it would be too early, per WP:CRYSTAL. And only the domain name was seized. nyuszika7h (talk) 18:37, 23 July 2016 (UTC)
- It is still a website, just offline at the moment. People have dug the grave of The Pirate Bay on numerous occasions but it came back again. Although WP:CRYSTAL has to be taken into account, this article on TorrentFreak suggests that a KAT comeback may be difficult due to the thorough way in which the site's operations have been infiltrated by the U.S. government. Anyway, watch this space.--♦IanMacM♦ (talk to me) 19:28, 23 July 2016 (UTC)
New url - kat.am?
- Not done Not official, it's just one of the many unofficial mirrors. nyuszika7h (talk) 15:26, 24 July 2016 (UTC)
- Kat.am seems to have a fairly accurate mirror of kat.cr. However, there are no signs that it is officially endorsed by kat.cr, and there are tools for downloading and mirroring an entire website that allow this sort of thing to be done either with or without the owner's permission, eg HTTrack Website copier. This means that kat.am and similar sites will not be added to the article unless there is reliable sourcing that they are officially linked to kat.cr.--♦IanMacM♦ (talk to me) 13:00, 27 July 2016 (UTC)
- The .am domain is Armenia, and kat.am was registered by someone named Zahir Khan in India on 21 July 2016, which is one day after kat.cr went offline. It's doubtful whether this mirror has any sort of official status, so it should be visited with caution.--♦IanMacM♦ (talk to me) 16:01, 27 July 2016 (UTC)
KAT.am is now offline, and according to this TorrentFreak article it occurred after pressure from the Motion Picture Association. There may be various mirrors, but anyone who runs a site at kat.anything is likely to be targeted.--♦IanMacM♦ (talk to me) 05:38, 31 July 2016 (UTC)
- Re this edit: the giveaway sign that a site is an unofficial mirror is that the logins do not work, and do not bring up the correct user account and all its previous forum posts, uploads etc. This is because website copying tools like HTTrack Website copier cannot access material that requires a login. This has happened before with The Pirate Bay, and although the mirrored sites were superficially convincing, the logins did not work. When this occurs, it is dangerous to hand over user names and passwords in case they fall into the hands of scammers. There is no indication that KAT is endorsing any of the current mirror sites.--♦IanMacM♦ (talk to me) 08:29, 31 July 2016 (UTC)
Adding kat.am and kickasstorrents.website
I would like to add the mirrors "kat.am" and "kickasstorrents.website" in the section "Arrest of the alleged owner" in the following paragraph now that the two are no longer up. Their popularity can be judged from various sources such as The Verge, Times of India, Venture Beat, and Torrent Freak.
Following the seizure of the original KAT domain multiple unofficial mirrors have been put online. These have no connection to the original team who have been urging users to exercise caution. A number of these mirrors—most notably the popular kat.am and kickasstorrents.website—have since been taken down.
- I'm not sure this is really necessary. The mirrors so far have been a straggly bunch which are clearly not endorsed by the site's original owner. As noted in the section above, KAT.am is no longer online. There would be a whack-a-mole game involved in adding every kat.something domain which might last for only a few days. Also, as stated above, there is the risk of unofficial mirrors of KAT being used by scammers. So in line with WP:EL, it isnt necessary to mention any URL which is not the official one. There is also an element of WP:NOTHOWTO as it is not the job of Wikipedia articles to give advice.--♦IanMacM♦ (talk to me) 13:04, 2 August 2016 (UTC)
Re this edit: kickass.cd is a rubbish quality mirror where half of the features do not work and the forum has not been updated since July 2016. The source which mentions it is not reliable. TorrentFreak has been in contact with the people at KAT and they are not endorsing any of the current mirrors created by bandwagon jumpers who have nothing to do with the original site.--♦IanMacM♦ (talk to me) 22:29, 1 October 2016 (UTC)