Talk:La Noche Triste
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|A fact from this article was featured on Wikipedia's Main Page in the On this day... section on July 1, 2007 and July 1, 2008.|
Disagree with decision to move this section from Hernan Cortes
I think it is a mistake to have moved this section from Hernan Cortes. I agree that both that article and this one need quite a bit of editing but I think we should consider moving some or all of this back to the Hernan Cortes article. I'm not going to do that but I think the idea deserves discussion. It is true that some of the text is "not encyclopedic" but most of the content of the La Noche Triste article is and so the "not encyclopedic" criticism is not sufficient to warrant moving this out of the Hernan Cortes article.
If it make sense to move La Noche Triste out of the Hernan Cortes article, then it would also make sense to move other descriptions of military campaigns e.g. the defeat of the Tlaxcaltecas or the Destruction of Cholula. Richard 00:33, 26 March 2006 (PST)
I feel bad to assess this differently from how the Aztec Project already has. But this is a pretty short article, with no infoboxes or pictures. I suppose the existence of so many other closely related articles (Siege of Tenochtitlan, The massacre in the Main Temple, Tenochtitlán) force this article to be shorter; so much of what could be said here is already covered in other places. Still, there are plenty of articles much longer and much more detailed that have a B-class designation... LordAmeth 17:13, 4 August 2006 (UTC)
- You needn't apologize. The article is poor, and biased. "Big epsiode"? C'mon. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 02:40, 7 May 2009 (UTC)
However he did despair and of all he lost he asked after only one, Martin Lopez, the shipbuilder. When told he was alive he said, "Vamos, que faltamos nada." ("Let's go for we lack nothing.") What the fuck is this supposed to mean? Especially that first sentence... it's unsalvageable! Can the original author clarify? Stormchaser (talk) 16:31, 1 May 2008 (UTC)
- Not the original author (whom I suspect may have been dead for quite some time) or the one who put it here (I only just arrived), and it appears that the passage is no longer present in the article, but its grammar is entirely correct and its meaning perfectly clear: it is merely written in a style now somewhat old fashioned. (Sounds like Prescott, which would make it 1840's.) Perhaps explication would demonstrate if any of the information is worth retaining. Here goes:
heCortés diddespaired because so many of his personnel had been killed or captured and of all those he thought he had lost he asked after only one man, Martin Lopez, the shipbuilder. When told heLopez was alive he said, "Vamos, que faltamos nada." ("Let's go for we lack nothing."), since as long as they had someone who could build boats they could still escape.
- Clearer? 18.104.22.168 (talk) 07:36, 1 July 2008 (UTC)
WikiProject Military history/Assessment/Tag & Assess 2008
- Generous. I know, I know, nothing lower. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 02:41, 7 May 2009 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on La Noche Triste. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20050630075920/http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/cortes/ to http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/cortes/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.