Talk:List of ships sunk by submarines by death toll
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Setting 300 as the minimum death toll for listing
The number is somewhat arbitrary, but it approximates the upper limit of a destroyer crew; and, since destroyers are much more numerous than cruisers, battleships and aircraft carriers, their inclusion would produce a much longer list.Thewellman (talk) 02:31, 5 December 2010 (UTC)
- There is a problem with the sorting system. When sorted by the number of deaths the order is decided only by the first number. The order becomes ...833, 9343, 930, 935, 956. Is the comma separating thousands causing this? Ristipiste (talk) 18:08, 6 November 2012 (UTC)
Somewhat misleading information
A fairly obvious error is introduced when writing '9,343 German refugees', '1,621 Axis POWs', '935 British soldiers'. Obviously not all the people who died on the ships in question were what the article claims to be. Can we be sure that all the people on the Wilhelm Gustloff were German for example? And even if they were, there were also the sailors manning the ship, guards, etc, etc. Those lost were not all refugees, or POWs. The figures should simply be stated without further embellishment. To aid clarity however, a 'type' section could be introduced ('battleship', 'troop transport', 'passenger liner', etc) as well as a nationality field, the nationality referring to the ship in question, rather than those aboard.
A further point, a note should be added to cases such as the Wilhelm Gustloff, Laconia, Tatsuta Maru, etc, where the numbers are an estimation, or are in some way unclear or disputed. If there is no objection, I'll do this in the next day or so. Benea (talk) 03:44, 27 July 2011 (UTC)
Is there any particular reason why there is no mention of the Khedive Ismail which, according to her Wikipedia article, suffered 1,297 fatalities when she was sunk by a Japanese submarine in 1944? RASAM (talk) 22:51, 29 August 2011 (UTC)
Where is Armenia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_hospital_ship_Armenia 18.104.22.168 (talk) 18:25, 28 February 2012 (UTC)
- Armenia was sunk by aircraft (like SS Cap Arcona, RMS Lancastria, HMT Rohna, and Thielbek) and therefore not included in this listing of ships sunk by submarines.Thewellman (talk) 18:46, 28 February 2012 (UTC)
HMS Hogue (1914)
- The article on Hogue, despite being a good article, is actually looking dubious. Though there's a source for the casualty figures of 48, it doesn't fit with the numbers lost that day. Most sources don't give a ship by ship breakdown of casualties unfortunately, but there's general agreement that around 1,400 men died. A little under 1,100 of them were from Aboukir and Cressy (our articles have 527 and 560 respectively, totalling 1,087 men). The remainder must be from Hogue, so the figure of around 375 looks right. The dead are actually listed in Don Kindell's casualty lists, and though there is a mild discrepancy, 373 names are listed. Sources give the numbers rescued from Hogue as being 29 officers, 352 men; total 381, i.e well short of her total complement of around 750 men. Benea (talk) 15:42, 14 October 2014 (UTC)
RMS Lusitania death toll
The article on the RMS Lusitania states 1198 casualties; this page says 1201. Someone who knows about such things needs to clear up that discrepancy. John D. Goulden (talk) 03:46, 7 November 2014 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on List of ships sunk by submarines by death toll. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120312064714/http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~vanderkp/junyopg8.html to http://members.iinet.net.au/~vanderkp/junyopg8.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20100707023550/http://www.colonsay.org.uk/arandoraPt1.htm to http://www.colonsay.org.uk/arandoraPt1.htm
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140105004956/http://www.lucavalente.it/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=69 to http://www.lucavalente.it/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=69
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.