From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Aviation / Aircraft (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of the Aviation WikiProject. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the project and see lists of open tasks and task forces. To use this banner, please see the full instructions.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
Checklist icon
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by the aircraft project.


"The longeron system also requires that the fuselage frames be closely spaced (about every 4 to 6 inches). "

In this passage, are frames synonymous with formers? -- Paul Richter 04:09, 21 December 2006 (UTC)

I am a aircraft strucrural engineer and haven't heard the term "formers" used except for ribs in an aircraft wing. Skin is directly fastened to wing ribs so it is accurate to say that they "form" the shape of the wing. So the destinction could be that skin directly attaches to formers whereas skin does not attach directly to frames (also called belt frames or rings).
In typical frame and stringer construction the frame is the inboard most member upon which the stringers are attached. The stringers may be directly fastened to the frames or float above them. If the stringers float then they are attached with stringer tie clips (sometimes generically called standoffs). Finally, the skin is fastened to the stringers.Jebix 21:40, 3 March 2007 (UTC)