Talk:MCG (disambiguation)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Disambiguation
WikiProject icon This page is within the scope of WikiProject Disambiguation, an attempt to structure and organize all disambiguation pages on Wikipedia. If you wish to help, you can edit the page attached to this talk page, or visit the project page, where you can join the project or contribute to the discussion.
 

Joseph_McGinty_Nichol[edit]

"Joseph_McGinty_Nichol" redirects to McG (I'm assuming this is a popular abbreviation of his name), which comes up as a page that does not exist and even searching for Joseph McGinty Nichol gives the same result. Is there a page on Nichol that has gone missing? I probably won't check back but I know you guys are usually pretty good about this stuff so I'll leave it to a pro to fix it.

Requested move[edit]

The following discussion is an archived discussion of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.

The result of the move request was: no consensus for move. Favonian (talk) 10:25, 27 September 2011 (UTC)


MCG (disambiguation)MCGRelisted. Vegaswikian (talk) 23:25, 19 September 2011 (UTC) no primary topic — 2.26.128.138 (talk) 14:46, 12 September 2011 (UTC)

  • Oppose. In my opinion, the cricket ground is the clear primary topic (search the google news archive, for example). Anyway, this is not uncontroversial, so please take it to a full discussion if you disagree. Jenks24 (talk) 15:22, 12 September 2011 (UTC)
    • Also, I think it's worth noting that MCG has uncontroversially redirected to the cricket ground since 2003. And looking at Special:WhatLinksHere/MCG, I can't see any links that are intended for anything other than the cricket ground. Jenks24 (talk) 15:45, 12 September 2011 (UTC)
      • People have been cleaning up the links to the Galaxy Catalogue. There have been many instances of that linking to MCG. 70.24.244.20 (talk) 06:09, 20 September 2011 (UTC)
        • Really? The Galaxy Catalogue looks pretty obscure. MCG was viewed 22,981 times last month, while Morphological Catalogue of Galaxies was only viewed 251 times. Even if every single person that read the Galaxy Catalogue article had to view the cricket ground article first (i.e. they searched for MCG, not the full name), then we still only inconvenienced a fraction over 1% of the people who searched for MCG. We should note change to cater for that 1% when doing so would inconvenience the other 99% of readers. Jenks24 (talk) 13:36, 20 September 2011 (UTC)
  • Oppose Much though I detest cricket, I really cannot see any other of the uses listed coming anywhere near to Melbourne Cricket Ground as the primary use. Interesting to note that the proposer hasn't even bothered to try and justify the statement "no primary topic". Skinsmoke (talk) 03:22, 13 September 2011 (UTC)
  • Support; mcg already properly redirects to MCG (disambiguation), and while capitalization differences can be used to distinguish titles (as with McG), I don't think it's a good idea for redirects to differ in that way. Melbourne Cricket Ground received fewer hits in June than McG did, and only twice as many as microgram. Powers T 12:58, 13 September 2011 (UTC)
  • Support MCG is also a galaxy catalog, widely used in astronomy, much more likely to be internationally used in scholarly material than a cricket ground. 76.65.129.5 (talk) 05:22, 15 September 2011 (UTC)
The above discussion is preserved as an archive of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.