Talk:The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge
|WikiProject Contract bridge||(Rated C-class, High-importance)|
User Newwhist provides more information
User:Newwhist/Official Encyclopedia of Bridge provides some information on the 1935 Encyclopedia and the International Edition of OEB, as well as titled editors for all six editions of OEB.
Newwhist's main interest in the encyclopedias seems to be their bibliographies. Last fortnight Newwhist contributed to wikipedia bibliographies of Terence Reese and Edwin Kantar. --P64 (talk) 17:23, 15 April 2010 (UTC)
Editors by edition
The sixth edition Foreword by Henry Francis names the editors who "supervised" editions 2-5, without the middle initials that users P64 and Newwhist have previously provided here.
There are two spelling differences from our data: Diane Hayward, not Hayword; Dorthy Francis, not Dorothy. For Dorthy the front and inside covers confirm the foreword.
Henry Francis himself also says that he, "editor-in-chief of this edition, also served in that capacity for the third, fourth, and fifth editions. We currently list Richard L. Frey for edition three. (Previously I have provided data by reference to personal copies of editions 1, 3, and 4, but I no longer own the third, nor does this library have it.)
I have alerted User:Newwhist without revising the list of editors. When we do revise I propose to eliminate the source notes, insofar as I learn that discrepancies are based on our/my clerical errors. --P64 (talk) 18:50, 13 March 2011 (UTC)
- It is correct that my main interest in the OEB relates to bibliographies. I have all 6 editions plus the 1967 British Bridge Players' Encyclopedia edition plus the 1935 Culbertson Encyclopedia of Bridge. My edit material is at List of bridge books and magazines. The material at my Userpage is rough copy and should not be relied upon. Newwhist (talk) 15:14, 14 March 2011 (UTC)
Working on this article I have examined editions 1, 4, and 6 and consulted HOLLIS catalog (Harvard University) entries for editions 1, 2, and 5. The sixth edition Foreword confirms the identities of editors except that it names Henry Francis editor-in-chief for editions 3 to 6. For edition 3, our listing matches the rough copy by User Newwhist who owns all six editions (above). --P64 (talk) 16:25, 14 March 2011 (UTC)
7th Edition forthcoming 2011
Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Contract bridge#7th Encyclopedia forthcoming --P64 (talk) 18:04, 1 August 2011 (UTC)
2012-11-19: We have covered the 7th edition for some time, in section 7, namely The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge#Seventh edition - 2011. -P64
- Several hours ago, a one-time editor (ISP) deleted our rendition of the Contents of "CD2". I have restored that, and also rewritten the text in section 7, both without examining the book. The deletion may have been in good faith, for our rendition of the contents is difficult to believe.
- What should be examined?
- chapter numbers --perhaps 2-3 and 27-33?
- chapters repeated in both volumes --chapters 2-3? if so, we should say that in the text, to preempt confusion
- number of distinct chapters --does volume two comprise 9 chapters (and 3 app's), the number we list, of which 7 are distinct, as appears by examination? We say 8 chapters in the section preface so there is at least one mistake somewhere.
- --P64 (talk) 21:50, 19 November 2012 (UTC)