|Thiol has been listed as a level-4 vital article in Science. If you can improve it, please do. This article has been rated as C-Class.|
|WikiProject Chemistry||(Rated C-class, High-importance)|
|Sources for development of this article may be located at|
Is there a chemical compound BiSH...maybe.
Is there information about when mercaptans became -thiols? I'm looking for a date or a conference where this change has occured. Both terms are currently being used to varying degrees. Still 19:07, 6 October 2005 (UTC)
It seems like we should define "thiolate" in the header, since the referring page will often mention "thiolate" instead of "thiol" and the casual reader will want to see quickly what a "thiolate" is. The relative reactivities of thiol and thiolate per se aren't important for the header, but it seemed a good setting in which to define/contrast thiol and thiolate, as well as a basic point worth giving extra emphasis. But maybe there's a better way of introducing thiolate? WillowW 10:42, 3 June 2006 (UTC)
- I'm not chemically educated, which is why I entered the comment in the article text. I have now however created a redirect from thiolate to thiol. There were actually a couple of links directed to thiolate. __meco 10:55, 3 June 2006 (UTC)
I am affraid that the mercapto prefix is no longer used in the IUPAC rules. One should use sulfanyl or sulphanyl instead of mercapto...
When thiol is added to the end of an alkane name, how is the resulting word pronounced? For example, would methanethiol be pronounced "methane thiol" as if it were two words, or would it be "meth-an-eth-i-ol?" Hellbus (talk) 07:14, 1 January 2009 (UTC)
- As if it were two words, i.e. "methane thiol".
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Thiol. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20121219043254/http://www.chelationtherapyonline.com:80/technical/p114.htm to http://www.chelationtherapyonline.com/technical/p114.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.