||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (September 2009)|
|Original work||TekWar (1989)|
|Films and television|
|Films||See TekWar (TV series)|
|Television series||See above|
|Video games||William Shatner's TekWar|
TekWar is a series of science fiction novels created by William Shatner and ghost-written by science-fiction author Ron Goulart, published by Putnam. The novels gave rise to a comic book series, video game and later TV movies and a series, both of the latter featuring Shatner.
The 23rd century universe is centered around "tek"—an illegal, addictive, mind-altering digital drug in the form of a microchip. The drug has the effect of simulated reality (as shown in the films and series), and taps into "the matrix" hyperspace. The protagonist, Jake Cardigan, is a former police officer who is framed for dealing in the drug four years before the start of the story. Having been sentenced to 15 years' cryo-imprisonment, he is released early. After discovering that Walt Bascom, the powerful head of a private security firm, arranged for the early release, Jake goes to work for Bascom as an investigator dedicated to tracking down the real Tek lords.
Shatner began to write notes that would become the novels on the set of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, and is quoted to say that the original book was an attempt to blend elements from Star Trek and T. J. Hooker. There are strong similarities between the story of the initial Tek novel (and TV pilot) and Ron Goulart's 1985 novel, Brainz Inc., which involves a murder mystery involving an heiress who is presumed dead and her android duplicate, who shares her memories and personality. Unlike the Tek story the earlier novel's plot is played for humor.
- TekWar (1989) ISBN 0-399-13495-6
- TekLords (1991) ISBN 0-399-13616-9
- TekLab (1991) ISBN 0-399-13736-X
- Tek Vengeance (1993) ISBN 0-399-13788-2
- Tek Secret (1993) ISBN 0-399-13892-7
- Tek Power (1994) ISBN 0-399-13997-4
- Tek Money (1995) ISBN 0-399-14109-X
- Tek Kill (1996) ISBN 0-399-14202-9
- Tek Net (1997) ISBN 0-399-14339-4
Comic book series
In 1992, Tekwar was adapted in to a comic book series.
A new Tekwar comic book adaptation, entitled Tek War Chronicles, by Shatner and comic book writer Scott Davis was released by Bluewater Productions on June 24, 2009. As of 2010, Tek War Chronicles is available digitally exclusively through Devil's Due Digital.
Television films and series
The Tekwar novels became a film and television franchise in 1994.
|Title||USA Release||Running Time|
|TekWar||23 January 1994||97 minutes|
|TekWar: TekLords||20 February 1994||96 minutes|
|TekWar: TekLab||27 February 1994||105 minutes|
|TekWar: TekJustice||14 May 1994||100 minutes|
|TekWar TV series|
|Episode||Episode Title||USA Release|
|1||Sellout||22 December 1994|
|2||Unknown Soldier||29 December 1994|
|3||Tek Posse||5 January 1995|
|4||Promises to Keep||12 January 1995|
|5||Stay of Execution||19 January 1995|
|6||Alter Ego||2 March 1995|
|7||Killer Instinct||9 March 1995|
|8||Chill Factor||30 March 1995|
|9||Deadline||6 April 1995|
|10||Carlotta's Room||13 April 1995|
|11||Deep Cover||10 June 1995|
|12||Cyberhunt||17 June 1995|
|13||Zero Tolerance||24 June 1995|
|14||Forget Me Not||1 July 1995|
|15||The Gate||20 January 1996|
|16||Skin Deep||27 January 1996|
|17||Redemption||2 February 1996|
|18||Betrayal||19 February 1996|
- Shatner, William; Fisher, David. (2008). Up Till Now: The Autobiography. Thomas Dunne. p. 246. ISBN 978-0-312-37265-1.
- "Chemicals, Drugs & Potions > Tek (TekWar)". Tv Acres. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- "Tek Headz". Net.saipan.com. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
-  Archived June 24, 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "www.retrovisionmag.com". www.retrovisionmag.com. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- "Tekheadz". Net.saipan.com. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- ""Tekwar Chronicles" Hits Stores This Week". Sliceofscifi.com. 2009-06-22. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- "LEE SULLIVAN ART comics". Leesullivanart.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- "William Shatner's Tek World Trading Cards". Shatner-store.stores.yahoo.net. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- TekWar at the Internet Movie Database
- TekWar: TekLords at the Internet Movie Database
- TekWar: TekLab at the Internet Movie Database
- TekWar: TekJustice at the Internet Movie Database
- TekWar at the Internet Movie Database
- Sellout at the Internet Movie Database
- Unknown Soldier at the Internet Movie Database
- Tek Posse at the Internet Movie Database
- Promises to Keep at the Internet Movie Database
- Stay of Execution at the Internet Movie Database
- Alter Ego at the Internet Movie Database
- Killer Instinct at the Internet Movie Database
- Chill Factor at the Internet Movie Database
- Deadline at the Internet Movie Database
- Carlotta's Room at the Internet Movie Database
- Deep Cover at the Internet Movie Database
- Cyberhunt at the Internet Movie Database
- Zero Tolerance at the Internet Movie Database
- Forget Me Not at the Internet Movie Database
- The Gate at the Internet Movie Database
- Skin Deep at the Internet Movie Database
- Redemption at the Internet Movie Database
- Betrayal at the Internet Movie Database