Ten Brothers (Chinese: 十兄弟; pinyin: Shí Xiōngdì) is a Chinese legend known to be written around the time of the Ming Dynasty (1368 to 1644). It has been told and spun off in various adaptations, and remains popular since it is one of the oldest Chinese legends to feature characters in a superhero fashion.
The more modern version of the story has the couple swallow ten pearls and give birth to ten brothers. Each one of the brothers then possesses a different supernatural power, though he develops his power as the story progresses. At the end the brothers battle some form of an antagonist, and they only win when working in unity. However, if the ten brothers come in touch with limestone, their power disappears and they become helpless.
- 1st and Oldest Brother - Capable of seeing miles away with his binocular eyes, sometimes identified as Mazu's guardian Qianliyan
- 2nd Brother - Capable of hearing miles away, sometimes identified as Mazu's guardian Shunfeng'er
- 3rd Brother - Has herculean strength.
- 4th Brother - Has ability to stretch and is invincible.
- 5th Brother - Capable of flying.
- 6th Brother - Has a solid impenetrable head and the smartest.
- 7th Brother - Can grow in height.
- 8th Brother - Capable of tunneling underground.
- 9th Brother - Has a huge mouth that can blow wind and shout loudly.
- 10th and Youngest Brother - Can cry a river; heal any illnesses if he cries on people.
- The Five Chinese Brothers, 1938 American book by Claire Huchet Bishop, illustrated by Kurt Wiese
- Seven Chinese Brothers, 1990 children's picture book by Margaret Mahy, illustrated by Jean and Mou-sien Tseng
- Ten Brothers, 1959 Hong Kong black and white film by director Wui Ng
- Ten Brothers vs the Sea Monster (十兄弟怒海除魔), 1960 film
- Ten Brothers, 1985 series by ATV
- Ten Brothers, 1995 Hong Kong film by director Lee Lik-Chi
- Ten Brothers, 2007 series by TVB
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 2, 2007. Retrieved January 27, 2007.[self-published source?]
- 君島 久子「王さまと九人の兄弟」の世界 ; ISBN 4000223992[page needed]
- Sam, Chris W.C; et al. (28 September 2008), "The Goddess of the Sea and Her Guardians", The Macau Daily Times, Macao: Macau Times Publications.
- "Ten Brothers (1959)". FilmAffinity.com. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "The Ten Brothers Vs. the Sea Monster (1960)". Hkmdb.com. 1960-02-25. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "Ten Brothers (1995)". Hkmdb.com. 1995-12-23. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on August 9, 2009. Retrieved November 15, 2009.