Texas Department of Insurance
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) regulates insurers and other companies that conduct insurance business in Texas, and assists Texas-based insurance consumers. TDI was founded in 1876 as the Department of Insurance, Statistics and History. The agency is headquartered at the William P. Hobby State Office Building at 333 Guadalupe Street in Austin, Texas, United States.
The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) Fraud Unit is the state law enforcement agency responsible for enforcing laws relating to fraudulent insurance acts In the United States, insurance fraud is the second most costly white-collar crime next to tax evasion. TDI Fraud Unit criminal investigators work on a variety of cases; for example, claimant fraud, workers' compensation fraud, insurer fraud, life settlement fraud, and mortgage fraud. TDI Fraud Unit criminal investigators are licensed state of Texas peace officers, have full state police powers (armed, make arrests, and conduct investigations into violation of state laws), and have statewide jurisdiction. Fraud Unit criminal investigators specialize in financial crime and regularly conduct joint investigations with city, county, other state (DPS, Attorney General's Office), and federal law enforcement (FBI, IRS-CID, United States Postal Inspection Service, US Government OIGs, etc.), and other government agencies. Once a TDI Fraud Unit criminal investigator has completed a criminal investigation, the case is referred to a County, District and/or U.S. Attorney in order to seek indictment and prosecution. The TDI Fraud Unit employs criminal investigators, prosecutors, and crime analysts.
- "History." Texas Department of Insurance. Accessed January 30, 2017.
- "Contact Information." Texas Department of Insurance. Accessed January 30, 2017.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Texas Department of Insurance. June 26, 2015. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- Spurgeon, Brad (9 March 2015). "An Overview of the Texas Department of Insurance". Brad Spurgeon Insurance Agency Inc. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "About". Texas Department of Insurance. January 6, 2017. Retrieved January 30, 2017.