The Belle Album
|The Belle Album|
|Studio album by Al Green|
|Released||December 6, 1977|
|Al Green chronology|
|Rolling Stone||(favorable) 1978|
The Belle Album is the 12th studio album by soul musician Al Green. It is his first album recorded without longtime producer Willie Mitchell, owner of Green's former label, Hi Records. With Mitchell and his label Green also abandoned the famed Hi Rhythm Section, which had previously played a large part in defining Green's distinctive musical style. This also marks the first instance in which Green plays lead guitar on his records.
The Belle Album is one of the last in a string of secular recordings made by Green; he had recently converted to Christianity and had been ordained as a pastor, and thereafter he began creating gospel records exclusively.
All songs written by Al Green, Fred Jordan and Reuben Fairfax, Jr.
- "Belle" – 4:50
- "Loving You" – 3:32
- "Feels Like Summer" – 3:42
- "Georgia Boy" – 7:01
- "I Feel Good" – 5:20
- "All N All" – 3:39
- "Chariots of Fire" – 3:50
- "Dream" – 7:33
- Al Green – vocals, acoustic and electric guitar
- Reuben Fairfax, Jr. – bass guitar, bell lyre
- James Bass – electric guitar
- Margaret Foxworth, Linda Jones, Harvey Jones – background vocals
- Purvis Leon Thomas – clavinet, Fender Rhodes piano
- Johnny Brown – acoustic piano, Fender Rhodes piano
- Fred Jordan – Fender Rhodes piano, Roland String Ensemble, Polyphonic Orchestration, trumpet, flugelhorn
- John Toney – drums, Syndrum
- Rob Payne – Syndrum
- Ardis Hardin – drums
- Buddy Jarrett – alto sax
- Darryl Neely – trumpet, flugelhorn
- Ron Echols – tenor and baritone sax
- Wynn, Ron (November 1, 2001). Review: The Belle Album. Allmusic. Retrieved on 2011-01-03.
- Rosen, Jody (May 2, 2006). Review: The Belle Album Archived 2010-12-28 at the Wayback Machine.. Blender. Retrieved on 2011-01-03.
- Christgau, Robert (May 2007). Review: The Belle Album Archived 2010-12-28 at the Wayback Machine.. Blender. Retrieved on 2011-01-03.
- Christgau, Robert (January 30, 1978). "Consumer Guide: The Belle Album". The Village Voice. Archived from the original on 2011-01-03.
- Product Notes – The Belle Album. Muze. Retrieved on 2011-01-03.
- Marcus, Greil (February 23, 1978). Review: The Belle Album. Rolling Stone. Retrieved on 2011-01-03.
- Hoard, Christian (November 2, 2004). "Review: The Belle Album". The New Rolling Stone Album Guide: 345–346.
- Staff (April 1989). "The 25 Greatest Albums of All Time". Spin: 48.
- Larkin, Colin (March 1, 2002). "Review: In a Silent Way". Virgin Encyclopedia of Popular Music: 141.