The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II
|The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II|
|Genre||Reality game show|
|Created by||Mary-Ellis Bunim
|Presented by||T. J. Lavin|
|Starring||Winners and teammates
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of series||26|
|No. of episodes||16 (Reunion & 3 Specials included)|
|Location(s)||Pedasí, Panama and Ørsta, Norway|
|Running time||Episode 1: 90 minutes (including commercials);
All other episodes: 60 minutes (including commercials)
|Original release||January 6– March 24, 2015|
|Preceded by||Free Agents|
|Followed by||Battle of the Bloodlines|
The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II is the 26th season of MTV's reality game show, The Challenge, and the sequel to the show's 22nd season, Battle of the Exes. Filming occurred in Pedasí, Panama and Ørsta, Norway in August and September 2014, with former cast members from MTV's The Real World, The Challenge, and Are You the One? competing. With Are You the One?, this season marks the first to feature cast members from a show not produced by Bunim-Murray Productions.
The season was dedicated to cast members Diem Brown and Ryan Knight, both of whom died in November 2014, two months after filming ended. Brown was featured in an MTV special titled "We Heart Diem" that aired on December 9, 2014.
A launch special, "EX-tra Baggage," hosted by T. J. Lavin and Battle of the Exes champion Camila Nakagawa, aired on December 30, 2014. The season premiered on January 6, 2015, and concluded on March 24, 2015, with the Reunion and "The S... They Should've Shown" specials.
- 1 Cast
- 2 Format
- 3 Pre-season romantic backgrounds
- 4 Gameplay
- 5 Game summary
- 6 Battle of the EX-iled
- 7 Episodes
- 8 Dedications to Diem Brown and Ryan Knight
- 9 Notes
- 10 References
- 11 External links
- Note: There were two "Johnny" castmembers — Johnny Devenanzio & Johnny Reilly. Johnny Devenanzio was appointed by his nickname "Bananas" throughout the whole season.
|Male partner||Female partner||Team||Ex-iled||Eliminated|
|Jordan Wiseley||Sarah Rice||Jordan & Sarah||N/A||Winners|
|Leroy Garrett||Theresa González||[d]Leroy & Theresa||N/A||Runner-Up|
|Jay Mitchell||Jenna Compono||Jay & Jenna||N/A||Third Place[a]|
|Johnny "Bananas" Devenanzio||Nany González||Bananas & Nany||Episode 5||Episode 10/11[d]|
|Leroy Garrett||Nia Moore||[d]Nia & Leroy||N/A|
|Wes Bergmann||Theresa González||[d]Wes & Theresa||N/A||Episode 9/10|
|Zach Nichols||Jonna Mannion||Zach & Jonna||Episode 8||Episode 8|
|Johnny Reilly||Averey Tressler||Johnny & Averey||Episode 7||Episode 7|
|Adam Kuhn||Brittany Baldassari||Adam & Brittany||Episode 6/7||Episode 6/7|
|John "JJ" Jacobs||Simone Kelly||John & Simone||Episode 3||Episode 5|
|Ryan Knight||Jemmye Carroll||Knight & Jemmye||Episode 4||Episode 4[b]|
|Dustin Zito||Jessica McCain||Dustin & Jessica||Episode 1||Episode 3[c]|
|Chris "CT" Tamburello||Diem Brown||CT & Diem||N/A|
|Thomas Buell||Hailey Chivers||Thomas & Hailey||Episode 2||Episode 2|
- Note: CT & Diem were also paired together in the original Battle of the Exes challenge.
Battle of the Exes II follows the same format as the original Battle of the Exes challenge (click here for further information), with the following differences:
- After the first eight "Dome" games, a losing team will have a chance to re-join the competition in "Battle of the EX-iled," which will pit a newly eliminated couple against the winner of the previous week's "Ex-iled" winner. Ex-ile matches and mini episodes were shown on MTV.com and MTV aired a Battle of the EX-iled Recap special after episode 6 showing progress in ex-iles up to that point.
- At the end of the season, three teams will compete in the final challenge — for a share of a $350,000 prize (up $50,000 from the original Exes challenge). The first-place team wins $250,000, second-place wins $70,000 and third-place wins $30,000.
Pre-season romantic backgrounds
- Adam & Brittany: On the first season of Are You The One?, Brittany immediately fell in love with Adam. After two sentences, Adam decided he wasn’t interested but Brittany was convinced they were a perfect match. She spent the duration of the season cooing over Adam, but Adam was only interest in taking Brittany to the boom boom room. Despite Brittany’s feeling, they were not a perfect match.
- Bananas & Nany: The two had a brief dalliance outside of The Challenge After completing her season of The Real World Las Vegas (2011), Nany developed a fling with Bananas. They tried to make it last, but they didn't work well as a couple. Since their fling ended, they have tried to keep a distance from each other on other challenges. Towards the end of Free Agents, the two started to develop a closer friendship, and realized that they worked well together. Nany has stated that she can still feel the spark between them on some occasions.
- CT & Diem: The two were paired together in the original Battle of the Exes season (click here for further information), and placed second in the Viking Quest final challenge. The two next competed in Rivals II, however, Diem felt that CT's political game interfered with their trust, with CT winning the competition with his rival partner Wes Bergmann, and Diem falling just short of the final challenge with her rival partner Aneesa Ferreira.
- Dustin & Jessica: The two developed a brief relationship during Free Agents, after a newly-single Dustin was reluctant to hook up with anyone, following his breakup with his original girlfriend — his Real World: Las Vegas (2011) housemate Heather Marter. Jessica hoped to re-connect with Dustin after the season, however, she stated during the Free Agents reunion that she discovered that Dustin hooked up with another girl.
- Jay & Jenna: When Jay entered the Real World: Ex-Plosion house, he was kind of a "player" who boasted that he had a couple of girls at home. One of those girls was Jenna, who entered the house as his ex. Jay tried to put his "player" ways in the past, however, Jenna never felt she was getting the respect — or label — she deserved when dating Jay. It was revealed during the Real World: Ex-Plosion reunion show that the two had broken up, as Jenna had grown tired of Jay's cheating ways.
- John & Simone: At the beginning of the first season of Are You The One?, the two spent a good amount of time hanging out, but they discovered that they were not a perfect match early into the season. Once they began pursuing other people during the filming of their show, jealousy erupted and bitter words were exchanged.
- Johnny & Averey: The two were season sweethearts on their season of The Real World: Portland, and in one episode, the two engaged in sexual intercourse in a public restroom. After the season, Averey left her Hooters job in Arizona and moved in with Johnny in Boston. However, the two broke up following accusations of cheating on Averey's part. Johnny later exacted revenge on Averey by hooking up with Nany González during Free Agents, to the disgust of Averey.
- Jordan & Sarah: The two had a short-lived dalliance during Rivals II, before Sarah was removed from the competition as a result of her rival partner, Trishelle Cannatella, quitting the show following a verbal scuffle with Aneesa Ferreira and complaints of the conditions of the house that the cast resided in.
- Knight & Jemmye: The two were season sweethearts on their season of The Real World: New Orleans (2010), with Knight being the first white boy that Jemmye had ever slept with. The two continued to date after the show. However, once Jemmye found out that Knight had cheated on her with an ex-girlfriend, she broke up with him and gave away his clothes to the homeless. On Battle of the Seasons (2012), the two worked well together, despite the fact that Jemmye said she would get back with Knight "over her dead body." On Rivals II, their relationship soured, as Knight's main role in the house was bothering Jemmye, even going as far as to pour ketchup on her during an argument (Jemmye suffers from "mortuusequusphobia").
- Leroy & Nia (replaced by Theresa in Episode 11[d]): Leroy & Nia were rumored to have hooked up on Free Agents, after the two were spotted exiting a bathroom together in a suspicious manner that Nia told the camera was a "protein shake." Additionally, in the Reunion's bonus footage, Nia was shown eating Oreos and peanut butter out of Leroy's toes. Leroy later revealed in a special for Rivals III that he and Nia did hook up.
- Thomas & Hailey: The two were high-school sweethearts prior to the Real World: Ex-Plosion season. Hailey is the girl Thomas lost his virginity to, but Thomas was distraught when he found out Hailey was not as innocent. During the Ex-Plosion season, negative feelings resurfaced when Hailey entered the house. Thomas accused Hailey of ruining his experience and his relationship with housemate Jamie Larson. The two got into a fight which ended with Hailey leaving the show earlier to save their friendship.
- Wes & Theresa: During her Challenge debut on Fresh Meat II, Theresa had crushes on Wes, as well as Kenny Santucci, but wasn't sure of who she wanted more. Initially, she was attracted to Kenny, but once he denied her advance, she turned her attention towards Wes. The two were shown making out numerous times, once even on the house pool table. Wes' attraction towards Theresa faded once Kenny (and Wes' best friend Danny) confirmed that Theresa was indeed interested in Kenny first. On Rivals II, Theresa found a new attraction, Leroy, and the two hooked up in the top bunk of Wes' bunk bed. Wes proceeded to call Theresa "the trashiest girl in the house" during the "Frenemies" challenge, because she hooked up with a garbage man and said that he's used to picking up other men's garbage.
- Zach & Jonna: The two met on Battle of the Seasons (2012), where Jonna was instantly attracted to Zach, despite the fact that she had a boyfriend back home. Before she pursued any sort of relationship with Zach, a teary Jonna called her boyfriend to break it off so she would not be a cheater, and hurt him more once he saw the show. The two were almost inseparable on the show, with Zach doing anything in his power to keep Jonna's Team Cancun safe until they came in last place on that season's final mission and were eliminated. Zach moved to Los Angeles to continue dating Jonna, but he realized they were too different and broke it off and never looked back. Jonna stated that she grew frustrated when Zach did not return her calls of texts for a two-year period.
- I Got You Babe: Teams have to advance from one tall building to another, on a tightrope that is suspended 500 feet (150 m) above ground. The female partners advance on the tightrope, while their male partners are suspended on an overhead tightrope in a "Superman" position, and have to drop a rope toward their partners in order to advance on the tightrope. Teams are disqualified if the female partner falls off the tightrope. The team that advances from one building to another in the fastest time wins the Power Couple, while the team whose female partner falls off the rope in the fastest time is automatically sent to the Dome.
- Winners: Wes & Theresa
- Disqualified: Dustin & Jessica, John & Simone, Bananas & Nany, Zach & Jonna, Sarah & Jordan, Jay & Jenna, Knight & Jemmye, Leroy & Nia, Adam & Brittany
- Rounding the Bases: This challenge consists of a series of four tasks on a baseball diamond.
- First base: Each team has to race across a bamboo lane, place a card between each other's lips, and either "suck" or "blow" in order to advance the card around bamboo poles. If a team drops the card, they have to start from the beginning. The three last-place teams (out of twelve) are eliminated from the challenge, while the last-place team at the first base is automatically sent to the Dome.
- Second base: Each team has to unscrew a contraption — in a "sexually suggestive" manner; the male partner is positioned in front of and has to unscrew a pair of baseballs, while the female partner is positioned in front of and has to unscrew a baseball bat, and place the parts in a box at the finish line. The three last-place teams (out of nine) are out.
- Third base: Each team has to lick off peanut butter at their designated stations in order to reveal numbers needed for a combination to unlock a pair of poles. The three last-place teams (out of six) are out.
- Home plate: Three teams remain at the final phase of the challenge. Each partner has to grab a 30-foot pole, 60 feet apart, insert the tip of one pole into another, and push until one pole pops out at the other end. The first team to advance their poles wins the entire challenge.
- Winners: Bananas & Nany
- On Again, Off Again: Teams have to spin on a wheel that is attached by ropes to a zip line above a pond, swim around a buoy at the opposite side of the pond, then return to the shore and ring a bell. Two teams (four players) compete at a time on the spinning zip line. The team with the fastest time wins the Power Couple, while the team with the slowest time is automatically sent to the Dome.
- Winners: Jordan & Sarah
- The Brush Off: First, the girls have to run and jump into a large square pool of red paint, and cover themselves with as much paint as possible, then race up a cargo net, where their male partners will be positioned on a platform, next to a series of hanging canvasses that have 12 white squares. The girls will then transfer the paint with their bodies to their male partners, who will jump onto their designated canvas, and try to cover 12 white squares within a three-minute time limit. The challenge is played in two separate heats — of five and four teams — and the team whose male partner covers the most squares within a three-minute time limit wins, while the team whose male partner covers the fewest squares is automatically sent to the Dome.
- Winners: Zach & Jonna
- Open Arms: Teams have to advance on a zip line above a pond, swim around a buoy at the opposite side of the pond, then return to the shore and ring a bell. First, the female partner is positioned on a heavy bag, while the male partner is positioned on a sled, and after each zip line is released, the guys will attempt to jump toward their female partners, then each teammate will swim together. Unlike the aforementioned "On Again, Off Again," only one team competes at a time. The team with the fastest time wins the Power Couple, while the team with the slowest time is automatically sent to the Dome.
- Winners: Wes & Theresa
- Don't Forget About Me: Teams have to solve a memory puzzle while hiking up and down a mountain. First, the guys will lift up a 300-pound steel door out of the sand that is connected to a rope for as long as they can. Under the steel door is an answer key that contains various colors of squares and rectangles, which the female partners will have to memorize. Whenever the girls feel that they have memorized the answer key enough, or their male partners are unable to keep the steel doors from shutting, each partner will be required to hike up a mountain with a bag containing their puzzle pieces, to their designated puzzle station, which the girls will have to solve. The process continues back and forth, and the first team to correctly solve their puzzle wins the Power Couple. Initially, the last team to correctly solve their puzzle would be automatically sent to the Dome; however, due to time constraints and the reduced amount of daylight, host T. J. Lavin explained to the last four teams that the team with the least amount of correctly-solved puzzle pieces would be sent to the Dome instead.
- Winners: Wes & Theresa
- Are You The One?: Host T. J. Lavin asks each team a series of trivia questions, which includes spelling, sports, geography, pop culture and U.S. history. The challenge is played in multiple rounds, and each player is wrapped in a blanket that is hanging from a platform suspended above water. If teams correctly answers a question, they will stay in the game, but will get an "X" for each wrong answer. If a team gets two X's, each teammate is dropped into the water. The first team to be dropped into the water is automatically sent to the Dome, while the last team hanging wins the Power Couple.
- Winners: Jay & Jenna
- Speed Dating: Teams have to jump back and forth from one tractor trailer to another, while each trailer is moving side-by-side at a speed of 30 mph on a runway. Each team is positioned on one trailer, with an empty wall that has an arrow slot, while attached to a safety harness that is hanging from a platform on one trailer. Each partner alternates retrieving several colored balls from the opposite trailer. The goal is to deposit as many balls into the arrow slot on the wall as possible, before the trailers reach the end of the runway. The guys must stay on the outside of their female partners in order to avoid having their safety harness tangled up, and midway through the runway, the trailers will separate when they reach smoke signals, making it impossible for any partner to jump. A player must wait for their partner to return to the wall on one trailer before jumping onto the opposite trailer. The team that deposits the most balls into the wall wins the Power Couple, while the team that deposits the least amount of balls is automatically sent to the Dome.
- Winners: Leroy & Nia[e]
- Wrecking Ball: Players from each team are positioned on a square platform suspended 30 feet above water, and have to knock opposing players off the platform with a swinging canvas bag. Players can also use two dodgeballs to knock other players off. The last player standing on the platform wins the Power Couple for their team, while the first team to have both players to fall into the water is automatically sent to the Dome.
- Winners: Jordan & Sarah
- Don't Let Me Down: In the first-ever nighttime mission in Challenge history, teams have to descend down a series of five ropes hanging from the top of a 50-story building. Each team starts on a plank, and descends down each rope at the same time. When each partner reaches the end of a rope, they must transfer to the next rope together. If a player falls, their teammate can continue, however, the best performance is determined by which team descends the furthest together. If no team advances to the bottom rope, where a bell is located, the team that descends together the furthest and in the fastest time wins the Power Couple as well as an automatic bid to the final challenge. The team that descended the shortest distance is automatically sent to the Dome.
- Winners: Jordan & Sarah
- Pole Position: Teams have to advance up a 25-foot structure, with ladders on both sides, and a bell at the top. Each partner faces each other, has their hands and feet strapped together into wooden poles, and have to use the wooden poles to advance up the ladder. The team that advances to the top and rings a bell first wins.
- Played by: Adam & Brittany vs. Dustin & Jessica
- Banded Together: Teams will be joined together by a rubber band rope at one pole, and the teams must work together and work their way to the pole on the opposite side of the field, and hold onto the pole. The farther the teams advance from one pole, the more difficult it will be to reach the pole. The team that reaches the other pole first and holds on for five seconds wins. Note: Challenge previously used during the original Battle of the Exes.
- Played by: Johnny & Averey vs. Thomas & Hailey
- He Said, She Said: Similar to "I Can" from The Duel, teams bet on how much of a specific food item that a player of the opposing team can eat within a three-minute time limit. If a player succeeds, that player earns one point for their team, but if a player fails, the opposing team earns the point. This Dome game is played in a best-of-three rounds, and the first team to accumulate two points wins.
- Played by: Adam & Brittany vs. John & Simone
- Breaking Up: Teams have to pull on a rope that is connected to a wrecking ball, then use the wrecking ball to crash upward through two levels of cinder blocks within their designated towers. The first team to crash their wrecking ball through both layers of cinder blocks wins.
- Played by: Adam & Brittany vs. Knight & Jemmye
- Strung Out: Much like "Hog Tie" from The Ruins, players from each team are suspended by their arms and feet under poles, and have to shimmy their way from one side of the pole to the other, then ring a bell, and return to the starting line, where their partners will try to do the same. The girls begin the relay race under the poles, and the guys have to wait until their female partners have returned to the starting line. The first team to advance both players to one side of the pole and back wins.
- Played by: Leroy & Nia vs. Bananas & Nany
- Stacking Up: Similar to "Stacking Stairs" from The Duel, teams have to stack up a tower of crates from the ground, toward a 20-foot high bell. The guys will try to balance on the crates, while receiving crates from their female partners. The first team to reach their bell wins.
- Played by: Johnny & Averey vs. Adam & Brittany
- Hooking Up: Several ropes with carabiners are hanging from the top of the Dome. Each team has to attach the carabiners to their opponent's back, which will launch their opponent to the top of the Dome. The game is played in same-gender battles, in a best-of-three rounds, and the first team to win two rounds wins.
- Played by: Leroy & Nia vs. Johnny & Averey
- Hammer It Home: Teams have to use a sledge hammer to advance an eye beam from one end of a track to another, where a bell is located. The guys will start by hammering the beam to the halfway point, where their female partners will take over. The first team to advance their beam to the end of the track wins.
- Played by: Jordan & Sarah vs. Zach & Jonna
- Hall Brawl: Similar to the original "Hall Brawl" in Battle of the Seasons (2012), Players must run through a narrow hallway past another contestant to ring a bell. However, this time the male players will go first and then tag their female partner at the other end of the hall. The players who ring the bell first in the best two out of three heats, wins the elimination.
- Played by: Leroy & Nia vs. Wes & Theresa
- X-Battle: Players battle one-on-one against each other, trying to wrestle an "X" from their opponent's hands. Played in same-gendered heats, the first team to two points wins. In the event of a tie, a coin-flip will determine the gender that would go against each other in one sudden death round. Note: Challenge previously used during the original Battle of the Exes.
- Played by: Leroy & Theresa[d] vs. Bananas & Nany
- Sweaters: Each team must accumulate one liter of sweat, and with a squeegee, a towel and a sponge, then transfer the sweat to a measuring cup. If neither team accumulates one liter of sweat within a 60-minute time limit, the team that transfers more sweat into their cup wins, while the losing team is permanently eliminated from the competition.
- Played by: Dustin & Jessica vs. Thomas & Hailey
- Mental Problems: Players from each team have to transfer 36 colored coconuts from a gunny sack to their designated 6x6 puzzle grid in the sand. A player is allowed to transfer no more than two coconuts at a time, and only one player per team at a time. In addition, no coconuts of the same color can be placed in the same column or row. The first team to correctly solve their puzzle wins, while the losing team is permanently eliminated from the competition.
- Played by: John & Simone vs. Dustin & Jessica
- The Ring: Teams compete in a tug-of-war, while standing on platforms. Each player competes against a player of the same gender, has to pull on a rope with a ring in the middle, and try to knock their opponent off their platform. The game is played in a best-of-five rounds, and the first team to win three rounds wins.
- Played by: Bananas & Nany vs. John & Simone
- Control Issues: Teams compete in a tug-of-war, and must wrestle a two-foot pole from their opponent. The game is played in same-gender battles, in a best-of-three rounds, and the first team to win two rounds wins.
- Played by: Bananas & Nany vs. Adam & Brittany
- Take Out: Teams have to use a pair of bamboo poles to pluck out four round items from a deep rectangular ditch (one of them a soccer ball), and place the items inside their designated circle, with the poles. The first team to deposit all of their items into their circle wins.
- Played by: Bananas & Nany vs. Johnny & Averey
- It Takes Two to Tangle: Similar to "Knot So Fast" from Battle of the Seasons (2012), players from each team have 20 minutes to create as many knots using 200 feet of rope within a dome-shaped structure. After those 20 minutes are up, teams must untie their opponents' knots. The team who unties the opposing team's knots first wins the elimination.
- Played by: Bananas & Nany vs. Zach & Jonna
The Final Challenge is a two-day race from a Norwegian fjord to the top of Mount Slogen. Prior to the start of the race, host T. J. Lavin explains that a team must complete the Final Challenge in order to get paid. To start, each team takes a helicopter ride, then will be dropped into the water, where they will have to swim to the shore to their first checkpoint, "Kayak The Fjord." Each team must kayak their way through the fjord, where they will change into their team uniforms, then sprint to the third checkpoint, "Mind Games." Each team has 30 minutes to unscramble a five-word sentence with a pile of rocks marked with letters. (The five-word sentence is "You will respect the trolls.") The third checkpoint is "Don't Flip Your Lid," where each team has to flip a series of six cards with the Flag of Norway from the edge of a table into a series of six glasses filled with liquid fish eggs. Each team must consume one glass prior to flipping the cards. A team is required to consume a full glass for each time that they fail to flip a card into the glass after three attempts. (Note: Jay & Jenna were disqualified at this checkpoint, after Jay was unable to consume the liquid, leaving Jordan & Sarah and Leroy & Theresa as the only teams competing in the final.) Each team then sprints to the fourth checkpoint, "Get Your Rocks Off," in which teams have 30 minutes to grab five rocks from a rockpile, and then toss the rocks from a distance into a bucket. Prior to this checkpoint, each team is required to consume a tube of liquid caviar. If players from each team misses, they must sprint back and continue the process of collecting rocks from the rockpile until they toss a total of five rocks into the bucket. The fifth checkpoint is a bicycle ride to the Slogen trailhead. The sixth checkpoint is a "Rest Stop," where teams must take their place either within their designated zone next to a campfire, or on top of their beds. On day two, the final race is a grueling climb to the top of Slogen, in which the first-place team wins $250,000 and the second-place team wins $70,000. Since Jordan & Sarah made it to the rest stop first, they earned a five-minute headstart before Leroy & Theresa.
- The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Winners: Jordan & Sarah
- Runners-up: Leroy & Theresa
- Third: Jay & Jenna[a]
|Episode||Power Couple||Dome contestants||Dome game||Dome outcome|
|#||Challenge||Last-place team||Winners' selection||Winning team||Losing team|
|1||I Got You Babe||Wes & Theresa||Adam & Brittany||Dustin & Jessica||Pole Position||Adam & Brittany||Dustin & Jessica|
|2||Rounding the Bases||Bananas & Nany||Johnny & Averey||Thomas & Hailey||Banded Together||Johnny & Averey||Thomas & Hailey|
|3[c]||On Again, Off Again||Jordan & Sarah||John & Simone||Adam & Brittany||He Said, She Said||Adam & Brittany||John & Simone|
|4||The Brush Off||Zach & Jonna||Knight & Jemmye||Adam & Brittany||Breaking Up||Adam & Brittany||Knight & Jemmye|
|5||Open Arms||Wes & Theresa||Leroy & Nia||Bananas & Nany||Strung Out||Leroy & Nia||Bananas & Nany|
|6/7||Don't Forget About Me||Wes & Theresa||Adam & Brittany||Johnny & Averey||Stacking Up||Johnny & Averey||Adam & Brittany|
|7||Are You the One?||Jay & Jenna||Johnny & Averey||Leroy & Nia||Hooking Up||Leroy & Nia||Johnny & Averey|
|8||Speed Dating||Leroy & Nia[e]||Jordan & Sarah||Zach & Jonna||Hammer It Home||Jordan & Sarah||Zach & Jonna|
|9/10||Wrecking Ball||Jordan & Sarah||Wes & Theresa||Leroy & Nia||Hall Brawl||Leroy & Nia||Wes & Theresa|
|10/11||Don't Let Me Down||Jordan & Sarah||Leroy & Nia[d]||Bananas & Nany||X-Battle||Leroy & Theresa[d]||Bananas & Nany|
|11/12||Final Challenge||Jordan & Sarah||2nd place: Leroy & Theresa; 3rd place: Jay & Jenna[a]|
|Jordan & Sarah||SAFE||SAFE||WIN||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||DOME||WIN||WIN||WINNERS|
|Leroy & Theresa[d]||N/A||DOME||SECOND|
|Jay & Jenna||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||WIN||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||DNF|
|Bananas & Nany||SAFE||WIN||SAFE||SAFE||OUT||SAFE||OUT|
|Leroy & Nia[d]||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||DOME||SAFE||DOME||WIN||DOME||DQ|
|Wes & Theresa[d]||WIN||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||WIN||WIN||SAFE||SAFE||OUT|
|Zach & Jonna||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||WIN||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||OUT|
|Johnny & Averey||SAFE||DOME||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||DOME||OUT|
|Adam & Brittany||DOME||SAFE||DOME||DOME||SAFE||OUT|
|Knight & Jemmye||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||OUT|
|John & Simone||SAFE||SAFE||OUT|
|CT & Diem||SAFE||SAFE||OUT|
|Thomas & Hailey||SAFE||OUT|
|Dustin & Jessica||OUT|
- The team won the competition.
- The team did not win the final challenge.
- The team could not finish the final challenge and received third place but were disqualified and received no money since they did not finish.
- The team won the "Power Couple" mission and put another team into the Dome.
- The team was not selected to go into the Dome.
- The team won in the Dome.
- The team lost in the Dome, was sent to "Battle of the Ex-iled," and was later permanently eliminated during "Battle of the Ex-iled."
- A contestant was removed from the competition due to illness, so his/her partner was also eliminated.
- A contestant was disqualified from the competition, but his/her partner later received a replacement teammate in the Dome.
Battle of the EX-iled
|Episode||Ex-ile contestants||Ex-ile game||Ex-ile outcome|
|#||Current Inhabitant||Recent Challenger||Winning team||Losing team|
|1||Dustin & Jessica|
|2||Dustin & Jessica||Thomas & Hailey||Sweaters||Dustin & Jessica||Thomas & Hailey|
|3||Dustin & Jessica||John & Simone||Mental Problems||John & Simone||Dustin & Jessica|
|4||John & Simone||Knight & Jemmye||N/A[b]||Knight & Jemmye|
|5||John & Simone||Bananas & Nany||The Ring||Bananas & Nany||John & Simone|
|6/7||Bananas & Nany||Adam & Brittany||Control Issues||Bananas & Nany||Adam & Brittany|
|7||Bananas & Nany||Johnny & Averey||Take Out||Bananas & Nany||Johnny & Averey|
|8||Bananas & Nany||Zach & Jonna||It Takes Two to Tangle||Bananas & Nany||Zach & Jonna|
|Bananas & Nany||EX-ILE||EX-ILE||EX-ILE||EX-ILE||RETURNED|
|Zach & Jonna||OUT|
|Johnny & Averey||OUT|
|Adam & Brittany||OUT|
|John & Simone||EX-ILE||EX-ILE||OUT|
|Knight & Jemmye||OUT|
|Dustin & Jessica||EX-ILE||EX-ILE||OUT|
|Thomas & Hailey||OUT|
- The team won the Ex-ile competition, and returned to the actual game.
- The team won in the Ex-ile.
- The team was in the Ex-ile, but did not compete against any team.
- The team wasn't in the "Battle of the Ex-iled" competition.
- The team lost the Ex-iled match, and was permanently eliminated from the game.
- A contestant was removed from the competition due to injury, so his/her partner was also eliminated.
|Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|1||318||"Where Is The Love?"||January 6, 2015||0.78|
|2||319||"I Will Always Hate You"||January 13, 2015||0.91|
|3||320||"Love Sick"||January 20, 2015||0.84|
|4||321||"Crazy Stupid Love"||January 27, 2015||1.01|
|5||322||"Love, Sweat, and Tears"||February 3, 2015||0.99|
|6||323||"Love Hurts"||February 10, 2015||0.75|
|7||324||"That's the Way Love Goes"||February 17, 2015||0.83|
|8||325||"You've Lost That Loving Feeling"||February 24, 2015||0.76|
|9||326||"Total Eclipse Of The Heart"||March 3, 2015||0.83|
|10||327||"Lovers In The Dark"||March 10, 2015||1.03|
|11||328||"Bye Bye Love"||March 17, 2015||1.01|
|12||329||"The Greatest Love of All"||March 24, 2015||1.03|
The Reunion special aired on March 24, 2015, after the season finale and was hosted by Zuri Hall. The cast members who attended the reunion were Jordan, Sarah, Leroy, Theresa, Jay, Jenna, Johnny "Bananas," Nany, Wes, Nia, Zach, and Jonna.
Dedications to Diem Brown and Ryan Knight
In November 2014, two months after filming ended, tragedy struck the Battle of the Exes II cast twice.
On November 14, 2014, Diem Brown died at the age of 34, following a decade-long battle with cancer. Brown was diagnosed with cancer for a third time in June 2014, though she had kept this information private. Two months later, media reports indicated that she collapsed during filming of Battle of the Exes II, and was subsequently airlifted to a New York-area hospital, where she was diagnosed with colorectal cancer — her third cancer diagnosis since she made her Challenge debut on Fresh Meat in 2006.
On November 27, 2014, Ryan Knight was found dead at the age of 28, following a house party in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Four months later (March 2015), autopsy results determined that Knight died of acute mixed drug and alcohol intoxication.
- Jay & Jenna were disqualified during the Final Challenge, after they failed to complete the third checkpoint. Prior to the Final Challenge, host T. J. Lavin explained that a team was required to complete the final challenge in order to earn any money.
- No "Battle of the Ex-iled" was held after Episode 4. Knight & Jemmye forfeited due to Knight suffering a dislocated shoulder following the "Breaking Up" Dome.
- Diem fell severely ill following the "Rounding the Bases" challenge in Episode 2. At the beginning of Episode 3, T. J. Lavin delivered the news that Diem was medically unable to continue competing. CT was sent home as a result of being partnered with Diem.
- Prior to the final Dome elimination in Episode 11, Nia was sent home following an incident in which she verbally and physically assaulted Jordan, temporarily leaving Leroy without a female partner. After Wes & Theresa were eliminated by Leroy & Nia in Episode 9, Theresa was subsequently brought back to the competition as Leroy's replacement partner for the "X-Battle" Dome. Leroy & Theresa hooked up and had sex during Rivals II. The relationship caused waves due to the Wes, Leroy, and Theresa love triangle and for the infamous Jungle voting in Episode 5 of Rivals II.
- In the "Speed Dating" challenge, Zach & Jonna transferred the highest amount of balls from one tractor trailer to another. However, their eleventh and winning ball was not counted due to Zach jumping from one trailer to another before Jonna had returned to the starting position of one trailer, which had been explained in the rules by T. J. Lavin. Therefore, Zach & Jonna, Leroy & Nia and Wes & Theresa finished in a three-way tie, and the team with their balls transferred in the fastest time — Leroy & Nia — were declared the winners.
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II at MTV.com".
- Webber, Stephanie (August 23, 2014). "Diem Brown of MTV's The Challenge Is Battling Cancer For the Third Time". Us Weekly. Retrieved August 23, 2014.
- Donnelly, Matthew Scott (December 4, 2014). "The 'Challenge' Is Back With New 'Exes,' Big Money And An Online-Redemption Competition". MTV. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- Bricker, Tierney (December 4, 2014). "MTV Dedicates Upcoming Challenge to Diem Brown and Ryan Knight". E! Online. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- "We Heart Diem at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II – "Ex-tra Baggage" Special – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Reunion – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Episode 1 "Where is the Love?" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II cast – Johnny "Bananas" and Nany – at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II cast – CT and Diem – at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Free Agents Episode 2 "Love in the Fast Lane" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Free Agents Reunion – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Real World: Portland Episode 3 "Hot and bothered" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II cast – Johnny and Averey – at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Rivals II Episode 2 "New Girl" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Rivals II Episode 3 "The Dark Knight Rises" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II cast – Leroy and Nia – at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Episode 2 "I Will Always Hate You" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Episode 3 "Love Sick" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Episode 4 "Crazy Stupid Love" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Episode 5 "Love, Sweat, and Tears" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Episode 6 "Love Hurts" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Episode 7 "That's The Way Love Goes" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Episode 8 "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Episode 9 "Total Eclipse of the Heart" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Episode 10 "Lovers In the Dark" – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Episode 11 "Bye Bye, Love" – Video at MTV.com".
- "Battle of the EX-iled Episode 2 – Video at MTV.com".
- "Battle of the EX-iled Episode 3 – Video at MTV.com".
- "Battle of the EX-iled Episode 5 – Video at MTV.com".
- "Battle of the EX-iled Episode 7 – Video at MTV.com".
- "Battle of the EX-iled Episode 8 – Video at MTV.com".
- "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II Episode 12 "The Greatest Love of All" – Video at MTV.com".
- "Battle of the EX-iled Episode 4 – Video at MTV.com".
- Bibel, Sara (January 8, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'The Haves and the Have Nots' Wins Night' 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Switched at Birth', 'Dance Moms', 'The Real World' & More". Zap2it. Retrieved January 8, 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 15, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Pretty Little Liars' Tops Night + 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills', 'The Curse of Oak Island' & More". Zap2it. Retrieved January 19, 2015.
- Metcalf, Mitch (January 22, 2015). "SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 25 Tuesday Cable Originals (& Network Update): 01/20/2015". ShowBuzzDaily. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- Kondology, Amanda (January 28, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Tops Night + 'Pretty Little Liars', 'The Haves and the Have Nots', 'Sons of Liberty' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (February 4, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Mary Jane' wins night, 'The Have and Have Not' + Plus 'Pretty Little Liars'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- Kondology, Amanda (February 11, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'The Haves and the Have Nots' Tops Night + 'Being Mary Jane', 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (February 19, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: '19 Kids and Counting' Wins Night, 'Being Mary Jane', 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Cougar Town' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 19, 2015.
NOTE: Scroll down to the comments section.
- Kondology, Amanda (February 25, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Being Mary Jane' Tops Night + 'The Haves and the Have Nots', '19 Kids and Counting', 'Pretty Little Liars' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (March 4, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: College Basketball & 'Being Mary Jane' Win NIght, 'The Haves & The Have Nots', 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Rizzoli & Isles' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 4, 2015.
- Kondology, Amanda (March 11, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'The Haves and the Have Nots', 'Pretty Little Liars' & 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Top Night". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (March 18, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Pretty Little Liars', 'The Haves & The Have Nots' & 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Win Night, 'Being Mary Jane', 'Rizzoli & Isles' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 18, 2015.
- Kondology, Amanda (March 25, 2015). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Pretty Little Liars' Tops Night + 'The Haves and the Have Nots', 'If Loving You is Wrong' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- Vick, Megan (January 20, 2015). "'Battle of the Exes II': Diem Brown knew she was sick". Zap2it. Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- Ossad, Jordana (November 14, 2014). "Diem Brown, 'Challenge' Star, Dies After Brave Cancer Battle". MTV. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- Kenneally, Tim (March 18, 2015). "‘Real World’ Star Ryan Knight Died of Accidental Overdose, Medical Examiner Says". TheWrap. Retrieved March 18, 2015.