The Daily Northwestern
|Owner(s)||Students Publishing Company|
The Daily Northwestern is the student newspaper at Northwestern University which is published on weekdays during the academic year. Founded in 1881, and printed in Evanston, Illinois, it is staffed only by undergraduates, many of whom are students at Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism.
It is owned by Students Publishing Company, which also publishes Syllabus, the university yearbook. Current circulation is in excess of 7,500. The Daily Northwestern is the only daily for both Northwestern and Evanston.
The paper's offices are located on the third floor of Norris University Center on the Evanston campus.
In 2015, The Daily launched "The Campaign for the Future of The Daily Northwestern," a five-year fundraising campaign.
The Daily descends from two earlier publications, the Tripod and Vidette, the older of which began publishing in 1871. In 1881, in what is considered The Daily's founding moment, the two papers merged to become The Northwestern, which would only gradually shed its literary-journal roots. Publication increased to five days a week by 1910. Independence from the university followed in 1923.
Notable alumni of The Daily Northwestern
- J.A. Adande - ESPN.com sports columnist
- Michael John Anderson - former editor, New York Times Book Review
- Kim Barker - ProPublica, author of "The Taliban Shuffle"
- Geraldine Baum - New York Bureau Chief for the Los Angeles Times and Pulitzer Prize winner
- Saul Bellow (published first short story in The Daily) - Nobel Prize-winning novelist
- Stephan Benzkofer - Chicago Tribune news editor
- Christine Brennan - USA Today sports columnist
- Elisabeth Bumiller - New York Times White House correspondent
- Rance Crain - president of Crain Communications Inc.
- Lester Crystal - retired executive producer, News Hour with Jim Lehrer
- R. Bruce Dold - Pulitzer Prize-winning editorialist, Chicago Tribune
- John J. Edwards III - Wall Street Journal deputy business editor
- Jonathan Eig - journalist and author
- David T. Friendly - film producer and Academy Award nominee
- Al From - Democratic Leadership Council CEO
- Jack W. Fuller - former Tribune Co. president and Pulitzer Prize winner
- Georgie Anne Geyer - editor, foreign correspondent, Chicago Daily News, L.A. Times
- Bob Greene - former columnist, Chicago Tribune; author
- Donal Henahan - Pulitzer Prize winner for music criticism
- Adam Horvath -- Wall Street Journal world news editor
- Stephen Hunter - Pulitzer Prize-winning film critic, Washington Post
- Maura Johnston - Music editor, Village Voice
- Jonathan M. Katz - author, former Associated Press correspondent
- Walter Kerr - Famed Pulitzer Prize-winning theater critic for the New York Times, namesake of a Broadway theater
- Vincent Laforet - Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer
- Robert Leighton - The New Yorker cartoonist
- Kerry Luft -- Chicago Tribune senior editor
- Jeffrey R. Lyon - Pulitzer Prize for Explanatory Reporting
- Edgar May - Pulitzer Prize winner for Local Reporting, served in the Vermont House of Representatives and Senate
- Garry Marshall - director, producer, famous for Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, and Mork and Mindy.
- Robert E. Mulholland - former president, National Broadcasting Company
- Brent Musburger - ABC sportscaster
- John Musker - writer and director of Disney's The Little Mermaid and Aladdin
- Charles F. Neubauer - Pulitzer Prize winner (shared), LA Times reporter
- Bill Ostendorf - founder of Creative Circle Media Solutions, media trainer and software innovator
- Ralph Otwell - former Chicago Sun-Times editor
- Susan Page - USA Today White House correspondent
- Tom Philp - Pulitzer Prize winner
- Jim Puzzanghera - Los Angeles Times national business writer
- Daniel Roth - Conde Nast business writer, formerly of Fortune magazine
- Sidney Sheldon - novelist
- Richard Stolley - founding editor of People magazine
- Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan - author and journalist
- Steven Twomey - Pulitzer Prize winner for Feature Writing
- John Walter - former Atlanta Journal-Constitution executive editor
- David Weigel - Washington Post journalist
- Beth Whitehouse - Pulitzer Prize winner for Spot News Coverage (shared), author of The Match: "Savior Siblings" and One Family's Battle to Heal Their Daughter
- Michael Wilbon - Washington Post sports columnist and host of Pardon the Interruption
- Lois Wille - Pulitzer Prize winner for Editorial Writing, Chicago Tribune
- Columbia Scholastic Press Association : 2007 Collegiate Circle Recipients
- ACP - Contest Winners Archived 2009-04-21 at the Wayback Machine
- The Evanston Review publishes weekly, the Evanston Roundtable publishes fortnightly, Evanston Now publishes daily online.
- "Support The Daily's Future: Donate Today". The Daily Northwestern. 2018-10-10. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- The Daily Grind
- Anderson, Michael (9 November 2003). "The Organizer". The New York Times. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Latham, Tori. "Tina Fey set to play Medill alumna, former Daily editor in chief in new movie". The Daily Northwestern. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "LISC Names LA Times' Baum to Lead Communications". www.prnewswire.com.
- "Stephan Benzkofer". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Taft, William H. (July 16, 2015). Encyclopedia of Twentieth Century Journalists. Routledge. p. 84. ISBN 978-1-317-40325-8.
- "Lester Crystal, President of MacNeil/Lehrer Productions, to retire in August 2010 | Press". PBS NewsHour.
- "John J. Edwards III - News, Articles, Biography, Photos - WSJ.com". WSJ.
- Pashman, Manya Brachear. "Jack Fuller, ex-Tribune editor and publisher, dies at 69". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Mcfadden, Robert D. (20 August 2012). "Donal Henahan, a Music Critic for The Times, Dies at 91". The New York Times. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Roush, Chris (June 25, 2013). "WSJ names Horvath its world editor - Talking Biz News". talkingbiznews.com. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Phil Rosenthal (March 28, 2011). "Tower Ticker: Luft named Chicago Tribune senior editor; Lauter new Tribune Co. D.C. chief". newsblogs.chicagotribune.com. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "Explanatory Journalism". www.pulitzer.org. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Smith, Sally Bedell (17 March 1984). "Mulholland resigns as president of NBC". The New York Times. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "Chuck Neubauer". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "Bill Ostendorf". Creative Circle Media Solutions. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- O'Donnell, Maureen (March 15, 2017). "Former Sun-Times editor Ralph Otwell dies; guided investigations". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "Tom Philp of The Sacramento Bee". www.pulitzer.org. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "Jim Puzzanghera". latimes.com. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Singh Gee, Alison (July 8, 2016). "Cheryl Lu-lien Tan's comic novel barhops through Singapore with the sarong party girls". South China Morning Post. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- "Steve Twomey of The Philadelphia Inquirer". www.pulitzer.org. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Tagami, Kirsten (2008). "John Walter's Obituary on Atlanta Journal-Constitution". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Whitehouse, Beth (2010). The Match: Savior Siblings and One Family's Battle to Heal Their Daughter. Beacon Press. ISBN 978-0-8070-7286-8.
- Lipinski, Ann Marie (March 31, 1989). "Tribune wins Pulitzers for editorials, commentary (March 31, 1989)". archives.chicagotribune.com. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- The Daily Northwestern
- NU Library's 125th Anniversary Exhibit, 2006
- The Daily Northwestern - Exhibit celebrates 125 years of The DailyArchived May 1, 2011[Calendar], at the Wayback Machine
- Northwestern Syllabus Yearbook
- Northwestern University Archives, the Northwestern University Archives holds a complete run of The Daily Northwestern.