The Devil's Blood
|The Devil's Blood|
|Genres||Psychedelic rock, Hard rock, Progressive rock, Gothic rock, Pagan rock|
|Labels||Metal Blade Records (United States)
VÁN Records (Europe)
Farida "F. The Mouth of Satan" Lemouchi
The Devil's Blood was a Dutch occult rock band from Eindhoven, formed in 2006. Their style is rock-and-roll-flavoured hard rock in the vein of Black Widow, Coven, Black Sabbath and a plethora of 1970s underground progressive rock. The group's name is taken from "Devil's Blood" by the Swedish black-metal band Watain.
The group was founded by lead guitarist, lyricist and principal songwriter Selim 'SL' Lemouchi. SL's sister, Farida "F. The Mouth of Satan" Lemouchi, was asked to join the group after providing vocals for the song "The Graveyard Shuffle".
On 11 November 2011, the band released their second full-length album, The Thousandfold Epicentre, also through Ván Records; it was later released in the United States through Metal Blade Records on 17 January 2012. Following the US release of the album, the band embarked on The Decibel Magazine Tour 2012 – headlined by the Polish blackened-death-metal band Behemoth – which encompassed twenty-six tour stops across North America. During the tour, the band received some publicity after their bus driver allegedly ran off with their money leaving them stranded in an intersection in San Antonio, Texas. SL stated the group planned to continue to tour throughout the remainder of the year and play in as many locations as possible.
On 25 January 2013, the band's official Facebook announced that The Devil's Blood was no more. However, they announced on 7 February 2013 that they would release their unfinished third album, III: Tabula Rasa or Death and the Seven Pillars, an acoustic EP, 66:2, a live DVD and some live recordings.
On June 20th, 2017, The Devil's blood members Farida Lemouchi, Ron van Herpen, Oeds Beydals, Thomas Sciarone, Job van de Zande, Sander van Baalen and Micha Haring did a one-off reunion to perform 'Voodoo Dust' at a memorial service for their former manager and booking agent Danny 'Bidi' van Drongelen.
Musical style and influences
SL was heavily influenced by his spiritual beliefs, namely Satanism. In several interviews SL has stated his primary influence in songwriting (and in life) are "the three principalities of Adversity – The Death, The Chaos, and The Satan", stating "That (Satan) is the driving force behind all my creative power". SL has also cited Slash of the American hard-rock band Guns N' Roses as being influential in his work as a guitarist.
The Devil's Blood was founded by Selim Lemouchi and was joined by his sister Farida, who would be the group's core musicians. The band's line up has changed several times over its existence.
- Selim 'SL' Lemouchi - guitars, vocals (2007-2013)
- Farida 'The Mouth Of Satan' Lemouchi - lead vocals (2007-2013)
- Sander 'B' van Baalen - drums (2007-2011)
- Thomas 'T' Sciarone - guitars (2008-2011)
- Benjamin 'Jimmy Blitzer' Dokter - bass guitar (2008)
- Willem 'Will Power' Verbuyst - guitars (2008)
- Job 'J' van de Zande - bass guitar (2008-2013)
- Ron 'R' van Herpen - guitars (2008-2013)
- Micha 'M' Haring - drums (2011-2013)
- Oeds 'O' Beydals - guitars (2011-2013)
- The Time of No Time Evermore (2009)
- The Thousandfold Epicentre (2011)
- III: Tabula Rasa or Death and the Seven Pillars (2013)
- Demo 2007 (2007)
Extended plays and singles
- The Graveyard Shuffle 7" single (2008)
- Come Reap EP (2008)
- I'll Be Your Ghost CD/12" single (2009)
- Fire Burning 7" single (2011)
- List of classic-rock bands
- List of Dutch musicians
- List of psychedelic-rock artists
- Music of the Netherlands
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "The Devil's Blood". Allmusic. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- Wigger, Jan (4 September 2009). "Rockband The Devil's Blood: Keine Angst vor Satanisten" (in German). Der Spiegel. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- Lemouchi, Selim. "Invisible Oranges Interview". Invisible Oranges.
- Invisible Oranges Editor. (9 January 2012). "Interview: Selim Lemouchi of The Devil's Blood". Invisible Oranges. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "“When I Die, I Hope I Go to Roadburn”: Notes from Roadburn Festival, 2014". Noisey. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- Huber, Nic (26 January 2012). "Decibel Magazine Tour Dates Available (Behemoth, Watain, In Solitude)". Metal Injection. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "The Devil's Blood 'Declare Never-Ending & Total War' on Tour Driver (Who Says He Didn't Steal Anything) Updated". Brooklyn Vegan. (30 April 2012). Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- Kelley, Kim (20 June 2012) "Devil's Blood Guitarist Talks About Satan Worship, Riffs, and Lyrics". Hails and Horns. 3 Retrieved September 2012.
- "Selim "SL" Lemouchi Dead at 33".
- Maurice Gijsbers (2017-06-22), The Devil's Blood - Voodoo Dust (20-06-2017 Tilburg), retrieved 2017-08-22
- MetalMattLongo (13 January 2012). "The Devil's Blood Interview with SL in Which Satan Is Not Discussed". Mind Over Metal. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- RoyBalowski (4 September 2009). "The Devil's Blood – Psychedelic Rock 'n' Roll in Honour of the Devil". Metalrage.com. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- (3 February 2012). "The Devil's Blood Interview with Selim Lemouchi: '…To Death, to Chaos and to Satan'". The Obelisk. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- Kopija, Ken (20 January 2012). "The Devil's Blood: A Quick Chat with Guitarist Selim Lemouchi". Metal Buzz. Retrieved 3 September 2012.