The Hong Kong Massacre
|The Hong Kong Massacre|
The Hong Kong Massacre is a video game developed and published by VRESKI for Windows and PS4 in January 2019. It is the first game to be developed by the studio. Set in 1990s Hong Kong, the game follows a former police detective as he sets out to exact revenge against the Triad for the death of his partner.
Inspired by classic action movies such as those of John Woo as well as other video games like Hotline Miami and Max Payne, The Hong Kong Massacre is a top-down shooter in which the player character will die by being shot only once. As a balance measure, the game features a number of special abilities, such as a slow-motion system, a dive/dodge which renders the player invincible for a small amount of time as well as weapon upgrades.
The story of the game is told through a series of conversations and cutscenes, with each of the 35 levels serving as a flashback. At the beginning of each level, the player can choose to equip one of four guns available: pistol, rifle, SMG or shotgun. They must then enter the level and kill all enemies inside it in order to progress to the next level. Visually, the game is reminiscent of Hong Kong action films, including locations such as ruined buildings, kitchens, back alleys, rooftops and abandoned restaurants.
According to review aggregator Metacritic, The Hong Kong Massacre has received "mixed or average reviews".
Although the game was praised for its intense action and for its emulation of classic action movies, it was criticized for the lack of variety in gameplay and challenges and for quickly becoming repetitive.
- Romano, Sal (January 17, 2019). "The Hong Kong Massacre launches January 22". Gematsu. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Turi, Tim (January 25, 2019). "The Drop: New PlayStation Games for January 29, 2019". PlayStation. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Rosenberg, Adam (January 29, 2019). "The Hong Kong Massacre wears its inspirations proudly, and to great effect". Mashable. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Shamdasani, Pavan (February 10, 2019). "The Hong Kong Massacre video game channels John Woo with slow-motion gameplay". South China Morning Post. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Furu, Eirik (February 1, 2019). "The Hong Kong Massacre". Gamereactor. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Marshall, Cass (January 24, 2019). "The Hong Kong Massacre focuses on the joy of a cinematic gunfight". Polygon (website). Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Ogilvie, Tristan (January 23, 2019). "THE HONG KONG MASSACRE REVIEW". IGN. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- O'Connor, James (January 22, 2019). "The Hong Kong Massacre Review - I Know Gun-Fu". Gamespot. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Glagowski, Peter (February 3, 2019). "Review: The Hong Kong Massacre". Destructoid. Retrieved May 21, 2019.