The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2017
|The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018|
|Considered by||Parliament of India|
|Bill citation||Bill No. 247 of 2017|
|Introduced by||Ravi Shankar Prasad (Ministry of Law and Justice)|
The BJP Government formulated the bill after 100 cases of instant triple talaq in India since the Supreme Court judgement in August 2017. On 28 December 2017, Lok Sabha passed the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2017. The bill makes instant triple talaq (talaq-e-biddat) in any form — spoken, in writing or by electronic means such as email, SMS and instant messengers illegal and void, with up to three years in jail for the husband. MPs from CPI(M), RJD, AIMIM, BJD, AIADMK and IUML opposed the Bill, calling it arbitrary in nature and a faulty proposal, while Congress supported the Bill tabled in Lok Sabha by law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad. 19 amendments were moved in Lok Sabha but all were rejected.
- The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act 1986
- Triple talaq in India
- The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018
- The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955
- Christian Personal Law
- "'100 cases of instant triple talaq in the country since the SC judgement'".
- "Lok Sabha passes triple talaq bill".
- "Triple Talaq Bill Passed In Lok Sabha". Republic TV. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Congress' backing of triple talaq bill indicates it's gradually withdrawing from Muslim appeasement politics".
- "Congress backs triple talaq bill, Khurshid strikes discordant note".