The Once performing at Woody Point in 2012
|Origin||St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada|
|Years active||2004 – present|
|Associated acts||Amelia Curran|
The Once is a folk trio based in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. The group features Geraldine Hollett on lead vocals and vocalist-instrumentalists Phil Churchill and Andrew Dale playing a variety of instruments. The group performs a mix of original and traditional material and is noted for their three part harmonies, which are sometimes performed a cappella.
The members of The Once met while taking part in a summer repertory theatre company in Trinity, Newfoundland. In August 2009, they released an eponymous album on Borealis Records. In 2014, the group went on Passenger's Whispers Tour through the US, Canada, Europe and Australia. The group also supported Passenger on his 2016 album, 'Young as the Morning Old as the Sea', and his 2018 album, 'Runaway'.
- 2009 Atlantis Music Prize (nominated for The Once)
- 2010 Canadian Folk Music Awards (won Traditional Album of the Year for The Once and New/Emerging Artist of the Year)
- 2011 East Coast Music Award (nominated for Group Recording of the Year for The Once)
- 2009 - The Once
- 2011 - Row Upon Row of the People They Know
- 2012 - This is a Christmas Album
- 2014 - Departures
- 2016 - We Win Some We Lose (EP)
- 2018 - Time Enough
- Doug Gallant, "Debut album by The Once shows plenty of promise", The Guardian March 12, 2011
- "The Once, Beyond the Pale, both win two at Canadian Folk Music Awards". Nov 21, 2010 Waterloo Region Record
- Espiritu, Camille (September 15, 2014). "Concert Review: Whispers Tour with Passenger | The Young Folks". The Young Folks. Retrieved 2015-11-02.
- Passenger, 'Runaway', Black Crow Records, 2018, album liner notes