The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
|The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel|
|Directed by||John Madden|
|Produced by||Graham Broadbent|
|Written by||Ol Parker|
|Music by||Thomas Newman|
|Edited by||John Madden|
|Distributed by||Fox Searchlight Pictures|
|Countries||United Kingdom |
|Box office||$86 million|
The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is a 2015 comedy-drama film directed by John Madden and written by Ol Parker. It is the sequel to the 2011 sleeper hit film The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and features an ensemble cast consisting of stars Dev Patel, Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Penelope Wilton, Tina Desai, Lillete Dubey, Maggie Smith, Celia Imrie, Rajesh Tailang, Ronald Pickup, David Strathairn, Tamsin Greig, and Richard Gere.
Muriel Donnelly and Sonny Kapoor travel to San Diego, California to propose a plan to hotel magnate Ty Burley for buying and opening a second hotel in India as a companion to the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. They are told that a company inspector will anonymously visit India to evaluate the project.
Back in Jaipur, Evelyn Greenslade is offered a job as a fabric buyer. She is concerned that at age 79, the job will require many responsibilities and considerable travel. Douglas Ainslie, who is in love with Evelyn, is worried about losing time with her as well, and also eager to introduce her to his daughter.
Sonny's life becomes complicated by plans for his upcoming wedding to Sunaina, plus a possible rival for her affections and his business interests. He is also desperate to impress American visitor Guy Chambers, whom he immediately identifies as the American hotel chain's anonymous inspector. Noting the interest Guy has taken in Sonny's mother, he encourages a romantic relationship between them at first, then angrily resents it when he concludes Guy is not the inspector after all.
Madge Hardcastle's dilemma is deciding between two suitors from India and which to wed. Norman Cousins becomes frantic when he believes a local taxi driver mistakenly assumed Norman wanted a fatal accident to befall his current sweetheart, Carol, but then discovers that she has been sleeping with other men. And Douglas' daughter arrives for a visit with his estranged wife Jean (who returned to the UK at the end of the previous film) seeking a divorce so that she can remarry.
Muriel, while having received bad news from a medical appointment, struggles to keep Sonny from ruining his wedding, his business and his future, having become quite fond of him. Decisions come to a head for all during the colourful wedding of Sonny and Sunaina.
- Dev Patel as Sonny Kapoor
- Judi Dench as Evelyn Greenslade
- Maggie Smith as Muriel Donnelly
- Bill Nighy as Douglas Ainslie
- Celia Imrie as Madge Hardcastle
- Tina Desai as Sunaina
- Penelope Wilton as Jean Ainslie
- Ronald Pickup as Norman Cousins
- Diana Hardcastle as Carol Parr
- Claire Price as Laura Ainslie
- Lillete Dubey as Mrs. Kapoor
- Richard Gere as Guy Chambers
- David Strathairn as Ty Burley
- Tamsin Greig as Lavinia Beech/Theresa
- Shazad Latif as Kushal
- Rajesh Tailang as Babul
- Denzil Smith as Mr Dhurana, the Viceroy Club Secretary
On 29 October 2012, Vulture reported that screenwriter Ol Parker was consulted to deliver a treatment to Fox Searchlight Pictures executives for a sequel titled The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2. Most of the cast agreed to come back. On 28 October 2013, Radio Times revealed that the cast would be flying to India to shoot the sequel film in January 2014.
On 28 October 2013 Radio Times stated that Penelope Wilton confirmed the cast, including Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Maggie Smith, Ronald Pickup and Celia Imrie, would return for the sequel, set to start filming in January 2014. On 30 October, Deadline reported that Richard Gere was in talks to join the ensemble cast of the sequel. Later on 10 January 2014, Gere confirmed his new role in the film; other newcomers added to the film include Tamsin Greig and David Strathairn.
The film was released in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland on 26 February 2015, and in the United States on 6 March 2015.
|The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel|
|Soundtrack album by |
|Released||February 20, 2015|
After the success of the first part, Thomas Newman returned to compose music for the sequel. The Soundtrack Album consisting of 28 tracks was released on 20 February 2015. The Soundtrack included various songs by Indian Artists including Pritam, Himesh Reshammiya and Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy.
All tracks are written by Thomas Newman (except where noted).
|2.||"Second Best Exotic"||3:05|
|3.||"Knees Then Names"||1:56|
|6.||"Yeh Ishq Haaye" (Composed by Pritam, Sung by Shreya Ghoshal)||3:55|
|7.||"Busy Pensioner Bee"||1:14|
|8.||"Nimish & Abhilash"||1:27|
|11.||"Soft Hiss of Treachery"||1:12|
|13.||"Balma" (Composed by Himesh Reshammiya, Sung by Shreya Ghoshal & Sriram)||3:48|
|14.||"The Fun Never Starts"||1:39|
|18.||"The Brilliant Bits"||2:43|
|20.||"Bringer of New Things"||0:34|
|21.||"Aaila Re Aaila" (Composed by Pritam, Sung by Daler Mehndi & Kalpana Patowary)||3:15|
|24.||"Reservoirs of Affection"||1:23|
|26.||"Jhoom Barabar Jhoom" (Composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, Sung by KK, Sukhwinder Singh, Shankar Mahadevan & Mahalaxmi Iyer)||3:38|
|27.||"Life Piled On Life"||1:06|
|28.||"Map of The World (End Title)"||4:42|
The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel grossed $33.1 million in North America and $52.9 million in other territories for a total gross of $86 million, against a budget of $10 million.
The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel topped the UK box office during its first week, earning £3.8 million. It stayed top of the UK box office chart for a second week, grossing over £1.9 million and held on to the top spot for the third week in a row, fended off competition from latest Liam Neeson actioner, Run All Night, and claimed £1.4 million in total. In the United States, it opened strong at number three at the US box office with an estimated $8.6 million in its first weekend of release. During its opening weekend, the film also scored the highest average gross of any film in wide release, averaging $5,467 from 1,573 theaters.
On Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of rating of 65%, based on 185 reviews, with an average rating of 6/10. The site's consensus reads, "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is about as original as its title—but with a cast this talented and effortlessly charming, that hardly matters." On Metacritic the film has a weighted average score of 51 out of 100, based on 36 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". According to CinemaScore, audiences gave the film a grade of "B+" on an A+ to F scale.
Peter Debruge of Variety wrote: "It’s not so common to find an ensemble of this caliber so enthusiastic to work together, and that chemistry comes across." Leslie Felper of The Hollywood Reporter called it "a sluggish also-ran compared to its predecessor."
- "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2015)". British Film Institute (BFI).
- "THE SECOND BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (PG)". British Board of Film Classification. 23 December 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "BFI Statistics 2015: UK independent films win audiences in a blockbuster box office year". Bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 6 October 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Box Office Preview: 'Chappie' Edging Out 'Unfinished Business' in Slow Weekend". Variety. Retrieved 19 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2015)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 16 June 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Dowell, Ben (28 October 2013). "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2 to start filming in January". radiotimes.com. Retrieved 12 January 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Brodesser-Akner, Claude (30 October 2012). "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Sequel Script on Way: Hollywood Now Drawn to Senior Set". vulture.com. Retrieved 12 January 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Fleming Jr, Mike (30 October 2013). "Richard Gere Courted For 'Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2′". deadline.com. Retrieved 12 January 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Fleming Jr, Mike (10 January 2014). "Richard Gere Checks Into 'Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2′". deadline.com. Retrieved 12 January 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Bhaskaran, Gautaman (11 January 2014). "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel sequel begins shoot in Jaipur". hindustantimes.com. Archived from the original on 14 January 2014. Retrieved 11 January 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Anderton, Ethan (7 August 2014). "Richard Gere Arrives in 'Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' Trailer". firstshowing.net. Retrieved 7 August 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Release Info at IMDb
- "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Thomas Newman on iTunes". iTunes. Retrieved 25 April 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2015)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 1 April 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel beats Fifty Shades at UK box office". Digital Spy. Retrieved 13 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel stays top of UK box office chart". Digital Spy. Retrieved 13 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel wins UK box office again". Digital Spice. Retrieved 18 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Opens at #3 at US Box Office". Bolly Spice. Retrieved 13 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 1 May 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 9 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Cinemascore". CinemaScore. Archived from the original on 20 December 2018.
- Debruge, Peter (17 February 2015). "Film Review: 'The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel'". Variety.
- Leslie Felper (17 February 2015). "'The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter.