The Shielding Shadow
|The Shielding Shadow|
|Directed by||Louis J. Gasnier
|Written by||Randall Parrish
George B. Seitz
|Distributed by||Pathé Exchange
The 15 chapter story involves the heroine being protected by a shadow with burning eyes. There's also a cloak of invisibility, some hypnotism and a giant octopus added to the mix.
- Grace Darmond as Leontine
- Ralph Kellard as Jerry Carson
- Léon Bary as Sebastian Navarro
- Madlaine Traverse as Barbara
- Lionel Braham as The Bouncer
- Frankie Mann as The Cabaret Singer
- Leslie King as One Lump Louie
- Hallen Mostyn
- Madeline Francine
Most of the chapters of this serial are lost with only chapters 4, 10, 11, 14 and 15 still remaining according to Treasures from the Film Archives by Ronald S. Magliozzi.
A French-American production, The Shielding Shadow was directly inspired by another silent movie serial, Judex - produced by Pathé Exchange's competitor Gaumont - whose first episode was titled The Mysterious Shadow. As Judex's release was delayed because of World War I, The Shielding Shadow was distributed in the United States before Judex. The Gaumont production, however, managed to be released in France before The Shielding Shadow (known in France as Ravengar). Both films appear to have been inspirations for the American pulp character The Shadow, who wears a costume similar to Judex's and has a power of invisibility like The Shielding Shadow's protagonist.
- "Progressive Silent Film List: The Shielding Shadow". Silent Era. Retrieved 2009-07-05.
- Xavier Fournier, Super-héros : une histoire française, Huginn Muninn, 2014, p. 70-73
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Shielding Shadow.|
|This article about a silent film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an action film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|