The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack
|The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack|
O'List, Davison, Jackson, Emerson
|Studio album by The Nice|
|Recorded||Olympic Studios, Autumn 1967|
|Genre||Psychedelic rock, progressive rock|
|The Nice chronology|
1967 was a strange year for pop music with groups experimenting with new sounds and bouncing on and off bandwagons with dizzying speed and agility. They were calling themselves ridiculous names and regretting it shortly. The Nice came together in a void and will be here when the others are in pantomime in Wolverhampton.
The original disc credits all compositions to "Emerlist Davjack"; later releases gave more specific credits.
At the 1967 Windsor Jazz & Blues Festival, lead singer Jackson said the song "Flower King of Flies" was about Beatle Paul McCartney. "The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack" was used as incidental music for the 1968 children's television drama "The Tyrant King", directed by Mike Hodges and written by Trevor Preston for Thames Television, from the London Transport book by Aylmer Hall. The 6-part series also featured music by the Rolling Stones, the Moody Blues and Pink Floyd.
"Rondo" includes a short excerpt from Johann Sebastian Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, as well as an extended quote and re-harmonization of the Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Blue Rondo à la Turk". "The Cry of Eugene", which was later re-recorded by Jackson's group Jackson Heights, refers to "Harlequin & Columbine".
- "Flower King of Flies" (Keith Emerson, Lee Jackson) – 3:19
- "The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack" (Emerson, David O'List) – 2:49
- "Bonnie K" (Jackson, O'List) – 3:24
- "Rondo" (Dave Brubeck, Emerson, O'List, Brian Davison, Jackson) – 8:22
- "War and Peace" (Emerson, O'List, Davison, Jackson) – 5:13
- "Tantalising Maggie" (Emerson, Jackson) – 4:35
- "Dawn" (Davison, Emerson, Jackson) – 5:17
- "The Cry of Eugene" (Emerson, Jackson, O'List) – 4:36
Additions on reissues of the album
- "The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack" [Single Version] (Emerson, O'List) – 2:48
- "Azrial (Angel of Death)" (Emerson, Jackson) – 3:44
- "The Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon" (Davison, Jackson) – 2:47
- "America" [instrumental] (Leonard Bernstein, Davison, Jackson, Stephen Sondheim) – 6:18
- "America" (Bernstein, Davison, Jackson, Sondheim) – 3:55
- The Nice
- Keith Emerson - organ, piano, harpsichord, vocals
- Lee Jackson - bass, guitar, vocals, timpani
- David O'List - guitar, trumpet, flute, vocals
- Brian Davison - drums, tubular bells, timpani
- Derek Burton and Gered Mankowitz - cover design
- "allmusic ((( The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack > Overview )))". www.allmusic.com. Retrieved 2009-12-05.
- Classic Rock magazine, July 2010, Issue 146.