Three Floyds Brewing
|Headquarters||9750 Indiana Parkway
|Nick Floyd (president)
Chris Boggess (head brewer)
Pat Niebling (chef)
Scout Hughes (chef)
|20,000 (in 2011)|
Three Floyds Brewing is a brewery founded in 1996 by brothers Nick and Simon and their father Mike Floyd in Hammond, Indiana. Since 2000, the brewery has been located in Munster, Indiana. In 2005, Three Floyds opened a brewpub adjacent to the brewery in Munster.
In 2011, an article in the Washington Post said that Three Floyds "has won over the beer geek elite," and "has been making the best beers on the planet for four of the past five years — at least according to the more than 1 million beer reviews logged each year on RateBeer.com. (In 2008, it slipped to second place.)"
|Alpha King||American pale ale||6.7||66||Year-round|
|Robert the Bruce||Scottish-style ale||7.0||30||Year-round|
|Pride & Joy||Mild ale||5.0||42||Year-round|
|Dreadnaught||Imperial India pale ale||9.5||100||Year-round|
|Arctic Panzer Wolf||Imperial India pale ale||9.5||100||Year-round|
|Zombie Dust||Pale ale||6.4||60||Year-round|
|Blackheart||India pale ale||8.0||70||Seasonal|
|Apocalypse Cow||Double India pale ale||11.0||100||Seasonal|
|Gorch Fock||Helles lager||5.0||25||Seasonal|
|Broo Doo||India Pale ale||7.0||80||Seasonal|
|Alpha Klaus||Christmas porter||6.0||38||Seasonal|
|Black Sun||Irish stout||6.5||50||Seasonal|
|Dark Lord||Russian imperial stout||15.0||50||Seasonal|
Dark Lord is perhaps the most sought-after beer brewed by Three Floyds. It is a Russian imperial stout with a very high alcohol content, brewed with Dark Matter coffee, vanilla and sugar or molasses. It is sold at the brewery only on "Dark Lord Day", historically on the last Saturday in April but recently moved to mid-May. Attendance at this event is now limited to 6,000 via pre-sold tickets, after crowd control problems in the past. As of November 2015, Dark Lord was ranked the #15 best beer in the world on RateBeer and was ranked #166 on BeerAdvocate.
- "Three Floyds State of the Brewery Address 2011", Three Floyds. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Noel, Josh (April 26, 2012). "Three Floyds' Evil Genius", Chicago Tribune. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Sudo, Chuck (August 6, 2012). "Three Floyds Details Growing Pains" Archived 2013-03-04 at the Wayback Machine., Chicagoist. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Konkol, Mark (April 26, 2013). "Three Floyds Founder Doesn't Hate Your Favorite Bar" Archived 2014-03-02 at the Wayback Machine., DNAinfo. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Bendersky, Ari (June 25, 2009). "Chicago's New Wave of Microbrews", New York Times. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Thiel, Julia. "Three Floyds Brewpub", Chicago Reader. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Fromson, Daniel (November 1, 2011). "Beer: The Secret Behind the Cult of Three Floyds", Washington Post. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Our Beers", Three Floyds. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Three Floyds Brewing Company", RateBeer. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Montoro, Philip (October 22, 2012). "Beer and Metal: Three Floyds' Rye da Tiger", Chicago Reader. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Montoro, Philip (April 8, 2013). "Taste the Waste: Three Floyds and Municipal Waste's Toxic Revolution Stout", Chicago Reader. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Montoro, Philip (November 11, 2013). "Three Floyds and Pelican Team Up Again, This Time for the Black IPA Immutable Dusk", Chicago Reader. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Three Floyds Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout", RateBeer. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Stambor, Zak (March 17, 2011). "Brewery Aims to Lighten the Stress of Dark Lord Release", Chicago Tribune. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Lazerus, Christin Nance (April 27, 2013). "For Beer Lovers, 'Dark Lord Day' Offers a Rare Taste" Archived 2014-05-25 at the Wayback Machine., Post-Tribune. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Montoro, Philip (April 29, 2013). "Dark Lord Day Spreads Out and Levels Up for 2013", Chicago Reader. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "The Top Beers at RateBeer", RateBeer. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Top 250 Beers", BeerAdvocate. Retrieved February 20, 2014.