||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Thure Riefenstein is an actor, director, writer and producer. He was born in Germany with an Austrian-Serbian background.
Riefenstein graduated 1989 as an actor in Germany, worked for five years on stage in repertory and Berlin Broadway theaters (see below) and continued studying acting and film in New York and Los Angeles. He since has been working internationally for cinema, television and theater in the United States, Canada, Germany, Great Britain, France, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Sweden, Serbia, Morocco and Turkey.
Important features in leading parts are the US-Canadian feature “Sophie” (director: Leif Bristow) with John Rhys-Davies and Deborah Kara Unger. In the “Golden Czech Lion Award” winning WW2 drama “Dark Blue World”, he played for director and Academy Award Winner Jan Sverák and in the action thriller “Hostile Takeover” he worked with director Carl Schenkel. In the US-German feature “Baltic Storm” (Dir.: Reuben Leder) he took a leading part aside Greta Scacchi, Jürgen Prochnow, and Donald Sutherland. In 2012 he worked with Academy Award Winner Steven Soderbergh in "Behind the Candelabra" and played with Michael Douglas, Matt Damon and Dan Aykroyd.
Mr. Riefensteins acclaimed TV-work includes the French period movie “Julie, chevalier de Maupin” (Dir.: Charlotte Brändström), where he starred with Marisa Berenson, Pierre Arditi and Gottfried John and which achieved an 'International Emmy Award' nomination for best foreign film. The TV production series Kommissarin Lucas, (Detective Lukas) with Thure Riefenstein as the male leading detective, achieved the highly acclaimed German “Adolf Grimme Award” nomination” for ‘Best Film’. In the Film “Boseckendorf, the night a village vanished” he was nominated as “Best Lead Male Actor” (Bambi Audience Award 2009 & Quotenmeter Award 2010) and was also semi finalist for the International Emmy Award 2010 in the same category as Best Lead Male Actor. He guest starred in the US-Series "Leverage" (TNT) with Academy Award Winner Timothy Hutton and also in The Brink (HBO) where he played with Academy Award Winner Tim Robbins.
Mr. Riefenstein starred in the international action drama mini-series “Crusaders” (Dir.: Dominique Othenin-Girard) with Armin Mueller-Stahl and Franco Nero, the successful feature comedy “666: In Bed with the Devil” (Dir.: Rainer Matsutani), the Canadian film “Criminal Instinct” (Dir.: Brad Turner) with Victor Garber or in the science fiction feature “Ainoa” (Dir.: Marko Kalantari).
Riefenstein is also a trained theater actor and has been seen in theater-plays such as Shakespeares "Pericles", Bertolt Brechts "Life of Galileo", Walter Jenss "The Downfall", Ariane Mnouchkines "Mephisto" and also in musicals such as "Linie 1" or the revue “The Blue Angel” where he played with Ute Lemper at the Berlin Broadway theater Theater des Westens and the Hamburger Schauspielhaus". The legendary show was directed by European theater icons Peter Zadek and Jérôme Savary. Riefenstein also worked with Bertolt Brechts former assistant Peter Palitzsch on "Pericles" at the Berliner Ensemble and with Vlad Mugur Carlo Goldoni's "The Liar".
He lived in London to practice in fringe theatre and in New York to work with Kristin Linklater. His American debut was in the New Yorker production of Jean Genet’s “The Maids” for the Berkshire Theatre Festival. In Los Angeles he studied acting at the ACI based on Lee Strasberg's and Sandford Meisner’s working techniques and worked with several coaches such as Doug Warhit, Sam Christensen, Bruce Davison and others.
Riefenstein also works as director, producer and writer.
He is married Patricia Luger and has a son Paris (b. 2005).
- 1998: Oskar und Leni, (Nomination for Adolf Grimme Award, Nomination for Max Ophüls Award ), (theatrical)
- 1998: The Best of the Best IV-Without Warning (theatrical)
- 1998: Doppeltes Spiel mit Anne (movie for TV)
- 1998: Romantic Fighter (movie for TV)
- 1998: Pensacola - Wings of Gold, (movie for TV), USA, Dir.: James Brolin, Cast: James Brolin, Sandra Hess, Kenny Johnson, a.o.
- 1998: Gefährliche Lust-Ein Mann in Versuchung (movie for TV)
- 1999: Der letzte Zeuge (movie for TV)
- 1999: Maria Magdalena, (DE, IT), (movie for TV)
- 1999: Kein Weg zurück (movie for TV)
- 2000: Anna H. - Geliebte, Ehefrau und Hure, (movie for TV)
- 2000: Feindliche Übernahme - althan.com, (theatrical)
- 2000: Das Teufelsweib, (movie for TV)
- 2000: Geliebte Diebin, (movie for TV)
- 2001: The Crusaders, (DE, IT), (Mini Series) Dir.: Dominique Othenin Girard, Cast: Allesandro Gassman, Armin Müller Stahl, Franko Nero, Uwe Ochsenknecht, a.o.
- 2001: Dark Blue World (CZ, GB) (Czech Golden Lion, European Film Award, u. a.), (theatrical) Dir.: Jan Sverak, Cast: Ondrej Vechtry, Kristoff Hadek, Tara Fitzgerald, Charles Dance, a.o.
- 2001: The wandering soul murder, (CAN), (Golden Reel Award, USA), (movie for TV) Dir: Brad Turner, Cast: Wendy Crewson, Victor Garber, a.o.
- 2003: Baltic Storm, (DE), (theatrical) Cast: Greta Scacchi, Jürgen Prochnow, Donald Sutherland, a.o.
- 2003: Ainoa (A), (theatrical)
- 2003: Heiraten macht mich nervös (Marrying makes me nervous), (movie for TV)
- 2003: Kommissarin Lucas, die Blaue Blume, (movie for TV, special)
- 2003: Im Namen des Herrn, (movie for TV)
- 2003: Polizeiruf 110, Tiefe Wunden, (Adolf Grimme Award), (movie for TV)
- 2004: Kommissarin Lucas, Vertrauen bis zuletzt, (movie for TV, special)
- 2004: Kommissarin Lucas, Vergangene Sünden, (movie for TV, special)
- 2004: Rose unter Dornen, (movie for TV)
- 2004: Julie, Chevalier de Maupin, (France) (nomination for "international Emmy Award"), (Mini Series) Dir.: Charlotte Brandström, Cast: Sarah Biasini, Pierre Arditi, Jürgen Prochnow, Marissa Berenson, Gottfried John, a.o.
- 2006: Kommissarin Lucas, Das Verhör, (Grimmepreis nomination), (movie for TV, special)
- 2006: Kommissarin Lucas, Skizze einer Toten, (movie for TV, special)
- 2006: Wachgeküsst, (movie for TV)
- 2007: Alarm für Cobra 11, (movie for TV)
- 2007: Kommissarin Lucas, German Angst, (movie for TV)
- 2007: Kommissarin Lucas, (movie for TV, special)
- 2008: Kommissarin Lucas, Wut im Bauch, (movie for TV, special)
- 2008: Der Amokläufer, (movie for TV)
- 2008: Jack Hunter and the Lost Treasure of Ugarit (mini series), Sci-fi Channel (US release) Dir.: Terry Cunningham, Cast: Ivan Sergei, Joanne Kelly, a.o.
- 2008: Jack Hunter and the Star of Heaven, (mini series), Sci-fi Channel (US release)
- 2008: Jack Hunter and the Quest for Akhenaten's Tomb, (mini series), Sci-fi Channel (US release) Cast: Ivan Sergei, Joanne Kelly, a.o.)
- 2009: A date for life, (movie for TV)
- 2009: Bösekendorf - The Night a village vanished, TV-Event Film, nomination for "Bambi audience award 2009", Quotenmeter Award: "Best lead actor"
- 2009: High Society Murder - Das eitle Gesicht des Todes, (movie for TV)
- 2009: Erntedank - Ein Allgäukrimi (movie for TV)
- 2010: The Whore, (Event-movie for TV)
- 2011: Inga Lindström: Das dunkle Haus (movie for TV)
- 2011: Machtergreifung (Hitler-The Takeover), (Movie for TV)
- 2011: Sophie, USA, Canada, (theatrical) Dir.: Leif Bristow, Cast: Brittany Bristow, John Rhys Davies, Augustus Prew, Donna Kara Unger a.o.
- 2012: Running with the Wind, (movie for TV)
- 2012: Leverage - "The Blue line Job", (TNT, USA) Dir.: Mark Roskin, Cast: Timothy Hutton, Gina Bellman, Christian Kane, Beth Riesgraf, Aldis Hoge, a.o.
- 2013: Behind the Candelabra, (USA) Dir.: Steven Soderbergh, Cast: Michael Douglas, Matt Damon, Dan Aykroyd a.o.
- 2013: Schwestern, Dir.: Olaf Krainsen, Cast: Sophie Schütt, Alwara Höfels, a.o,
- 2014: My Whole Half Life (mini series for TV)
- 2014: Der Geruch von Erde (feature for TV)
- 2014: The Old Fox (feature for TV)
- 2014: The Wedding Planner – Hochzeitsreise nach Dubai
- 2015: SOKO 5113 - Der Rattenfaenger (TV-Series)
- 2015: Der Staatsanwalt (feature for TV)
- 2015: The Cello Player (Short-Feature, USA)
- 2015: The Brink (Series, USA), Dir.: Michael Lehmann, Cast: Tim Robbins, Jack Black, a.o.
- 1994: Lonely Nights (comedy, English) (German Board of film Classification: "Highly Precious Movie")
- 2003: God is no Soprano (comedy, English) (Filmfestival Audience Award; German Film Classification: "Highly Precious Movie")
- 2007: Hagen (writer, producer)
- 2015: Leon (writer, producer)