|Former editors||Sasha Emmons (2013-2018), Karine Ewart (2011-2013), Caroline Connell (2006-2011), Linda Lewis (1997-2006), Fran Fearnley (1987-1997), Beverly L. Topping (1984-1987)|
|Founder||Beverly L. Topping|
|First issue||December 1984|
|Company||St. Joseph Communications|
|Based in||Toronto, Ontario|
Today's Parent is a Canadian bi-monthly magazine for parents of children from birth to age 14. Topics like health, education, behaviour, and nutrition are covered each month. Due to falling print ad revenues, Today's Parent was published on a monthly basis and reduced its publication frequency to six times a year effective January 2017.
Before launching Today's Parent, founder Beverly Topping acquired the pregnancy publication Great Expectations in 1983, hoping to use the mailing list to promote a parenting magazine.
Today's Parent was first published in December 1984 as a 48-page saddle-stitched book. The magazine was originally published bimonthly and distributed through doctor offices. It did not reach newsstands until Rogers Publishing Ltd purchased the magazine.
In 2003, Today's Parent won the gold award in the parenting magazine category from Folio Magazine, the trade publication for the US magazine industry.
In the Canadian National Magazine Awards, the magazine has been repeatedly recognized, having won 4 gold medals (in 1992, 2003, 2011, and 2012) and a silver medal (2004). In 2012, Today's Parent won the Magazine of the Year — Digital award for its website.
Karine Ewart became editor-in-chief in June 2011, after Caroline Connell left the position in February 2011. After spending three years as executive editor, Connell was promoted to editor-in-chief in September 2006 when Linda Lewis resigned to launch More magazine at Transcontinental Media.
Under Ewart's editorial direction, the magazine emphasized a variety of real-life stories from parents while balancing expert testimonials from pediatricians and psychologists. Ewart's parenting motto was, "Whatever works for your family is the right answer".
Since its March 2012 issue, Today's Parent has undergone a redesign to foster a sense of community between its readers/parents. The magazine introduced more lifestyle content (topics like fashion, beauty, travel and finance) in shorter pieces. The food section was also revamped, focusing more on images and simple recipes with accompanying grocery lists.
- "Changes to the Rogers Magazine Service Program". Rogers. Magazine Service. Retrieved 15 January 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Family Planning :: Ryerson Review of Journalism :: The Ryerson School of Journalism". Rrj.ca. Retrieved 2012-09-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Canadians honoured with stateside awards :: Masthead News Archives :: Masthead Online". October 31, 2003.
- "Past Awards". Magazine-awards. Retrieved September 4, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Winners of the 35th anniversary National Magazine Awards! " Magazine Awards". Magazine-awards. June 7, 2012. Retrieved September 4, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Anonymous (2011-06-01). "Canadian Magazines". Canadianmags.blogspot.ca. Retrieved 2012-08-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Connell joined Today's Parent as a Senior Editor in 2002.
- "Today's Parent redesigns". Marketing Magazine. February 23, 2012. Retrieved August 31, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Karine Ewart". Brain power initiative. Retrieved August 31, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "New editor-in-chief at Today's Parent". www.adnews.com. 30 January 2014. Retrieved 2020-02-11.
- Laird, Kristin (3 February 2014). "On The Move – Weekly Roundup". Strategy. Retrieved 2020-02-11.
- Rody, Bree (14 June 2017). "Today's Parent targets time-starved families with new app". Media in Canada. Retrieved 2020-02-11.
- Rody, Bree (3 August 2018). "ICYMI: Sportsnet vet departs; Rogers names new EICs". Media in Canada. Retrieved 2020-02-11.
- "Toronto Life owner St. Joseph Communications to buy Rogers magazines". The Globe and Mail, March 20, 2019.
- "ACCESS ABC: eCirc for Consumer Magazines". ABC. 2019-11-01. Retrieved 2019-11-01. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Today's Parent". Rogers Media. Archived from the original on 2019-11-01. Retrieved 2019-11-01.