||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)|
|Born||25 August 1968
Kent, Ohio, United States
Todd Hido (born 25 August 1968, Kent, Ohio, United States) is an American contemporary artist and photographer. Currently based in San Francisco, much of Hido's work involves photographs of urban and suburban housing across the U.S.. He has produced a number of well received books, had his work exhibited widely and included in various public and private collections.
Life and work
Hido graduated in 1991 with a B.F.A. from Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts and School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Massachusetts. Between 1991–92 he studied at Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, Rhode Island. In 1996 he gained an M.F.A. from California College of Arts and Crafts, Oakland, California.
Publications by Hido
- House Hunting.
- Outskirts. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2002. ISBN 978-1590050286. Text by Luc Sante. Edition of 2000 copies.
- Taft Street. One Picture Book 6. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2001. ISBN 978-1590050170.
- Roaming Landscape Photographs. New York: Zingmagazine, 2002. ISBN 978-1590050958. Curated by Melanie Flood. Edition of 3000 copies.
- Roaming. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2004.
- Between the Two. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2006. ISBN 978-1590051764. Edition of 2000 copies.
- Crooked Cracked Tree in Fog. One Picture Book 60. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2009. ISBN 978-1-59005-292-1. Edition of 500 copies.
- Ohio. TBW Subscription Series #2. Oakland, CA: TBW, 2009. ASIN B0087G1LD4. Edition of 800 copies. The other volumes are by Abner Nolan, Marianne Mueller and Alec Soth.
- A Road Divided. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2010. ISBN 978-1590052662.
- Nymph Daughters. Kamakura: Super Labo, 2010. ISBN 9784905052012. Edition of 500 copies.
- Excerpts from Silver Meadows. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2013. ISBN 978-1590053683
- Todd Hido on Landscapes, Interiors, and the Nude. The Photography Workshop Series. Aperture, 2014. ISBN 978-1-59711-297-0 . With an introduction by Gregory Halpern.
- B-Sides - Silver Meadows. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2014. ASIN B00KP206DO. Edition of 500 copies. 50 individual cards in a clear plexi box, similar to a pack of playing cards.
- Khrystyna's World. Amsterdam: Reflex, 2015. Edition of 500 copies.
Publications with contributions by Hido
- Witness No. 7. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2009. Photographs by Hido and Leon Borensztein, and photographs of images from books by various people that have inspired Hido.
- Cracked Trees. One Picture Book 59. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2009. ISBN 978-1590052914. Photographs by Hido, paintings by 3rd grade students. Edition of 500 copies.
- Motel Club. Nazraeli Press Six by Six, set 1 v. 4. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2010. ISBN 1590052978. Edition of 100 copies. The other volumes are by Anthony Hernandez, Raymond Meeks, Martin Parr, Toshio Shibata and Mark Steinmetz.
- Alec Soth's Lonely Boy Mag 2: Boys and Their Cars. St. Paul, MN: Little Brown Mushroom, 2011. Edition of 1000 copies. Text and photographs by Todd Hido, Alec Soth, Chad States and erotic dioramas by Peter Davidson.
- One Day: 10 Photographers. Heidelberg: Kehrer, 2011. ISBN 978-3-86828-173-6. A boxed set, edited by Harvey Benge, of ten slim books of photographs taken on 21 June 2010, each book by one of Hido, Jessica Backhaus, Gerry Badger, Benge, John Gossage, Rob Hornstra, Rinko Kawauchi, Eva Maria Ocherbauer, Alec Soth and Martin Parr.
- Leon Borensztein: American Portraits 1979-1989. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2011. ISBN 978-1-59005-305-8. Photographs by Leon Borensztein. Edited by Hido.
- The Open Road: Photography & the American Road Trip. Edited and with text by David Campany, photographs by Hido, Robert Frank, Ed Ruscha, Inge Morath, Garry Winogrand, William Egglestone, Lee Friedlander, Joel Meyerowitz, Jacob Holdt, Stephen Shore, Bernard Plossu, Victor Burgin, Joel Sternfeld, Shin'ya Fujiwara, Alec Soth, Ryan McGinley, Justine Kurland, and Taiyo Onorato and Nico Krebs.
- New York: Aperture, 2014. ISBN 978-1-59711-240-6.
- Road Trips: Voyages photographiques à travers l’Amérique. Paris: Textuel, 2014. ISBN 9782845975002. French-language version.
- En la Carretera: Viajes fotográficos a través de Norteamérica. Madrid: La Fábrica, 2014. ISBN 9788415691822. Spanish-language version.
- 1997 SF Camerawork, San Francisco, CA.
- 1998 House Hunting, Stephen Wirtz Gallery, San Francisco, CA.
- 1999 Inman Gallery, Houston TX.
- 2000 Photographs Taken at Night, Kohn Turner Gallery, Los Angeles, CA. Julie Saul Gallery, New York, NY. Homing In, Stephen Wirtz Gallery, San Francisco, CA.
- 2001 New Photographs, Stephen Wirtz Gallery, San Francisco, CA. Inman Gallery, Houston, TX.
- 2002 The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, Ohio. Open House, Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art.
- 2002 Roaming, Paul Morris Gallery, New York, NY. Carrie Secrist Gallery, Chicago, IL. Taft Street, 3A Garage, San Francisco, CA.
- 2003 Baldwin Gallery, Aspen Colorado. Carrie Secrist Gallery, Chicago, IL.
- 2004 Roaming-New Landscapes, Julie Saul Gallery, New York, NY.
- 2004 Roaming, Stephen Wirtz Gallery, San Francisco, CA. Carrie Secrist Gallery, Chicago, IL. Michael Berger Gallery, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania . Baldwin Gallery, Aspen, Colorado.
- 2005 Todd Hido, Sheppard Gallery, University of Nevada, Reno, NV. Inman Gallery, Houston, TX. Karyn Lovegrove Gallery, Los Angeles, CA.
- 2006 Unfinished Narratives, Photographic Center Northwest, Seattle, Washington.
- 2007 Between the Two, Stephen Wirtz Gallery, San Francisco, CA.
- 2007 Todd Hido, Rose Gallery, Santa Monica, CA.
- 2008 A Road Divided; Stephen Wirtz Gallery, San Francisco, CA.
- 2008 Between the Two, Yours Gallery, Warsaw, Poland
- 2009 A Road Divided; Bruce Silverstein Gallery, New York, NY.
- 2010 Househunting / Nudes; Kaune, Sudendorf Gallery, Cologne, Germany
- 2011 A Road Divided; Kaune, Posnik, Spohr Gallery, Cologne, Germany.
- 2011 Fragmented Narratives; Bruce Silverstein Gallery, New York, NY.
- 2012 I Drive..., La Galerie Particulière, Paris.
- 2013 Excerpts from Silver Meadows; Kaune, Posnik, Spohr Gallery, Cologne, Germany.
- 2004 Arti&Architettura, Genova, Italy. Do, Pace/MacGill Gallery, New York, NY. Light and Atmosphere, Miami Art Museum, FL.
- 2005 Camera Sacra: Capturing the Soul of Nature, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem. The Big Picture: Contemporary Large-Scale Photography, University Art Gallery Sonoma State University, Sonoma, CA. Marks of Honour, FOAM, Amsterdam, Netherlands. Marks of Honour, Gellerie van Zoetendaal, Amsterdam, Netherlands. InFocus: Contemporary Photography, North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh, NC.
- 2006 Spectacular City, Netherlands Architecture Institute, Rotterdam. I <3 the 'Burbs,' Katonah Museum of Art, Katonah, New York. Joint Venture, Richard L. Nelson Gallery & Pence Gallery, UC Davis, CA. Contemporary Complexities, The Harn Museum of Art, Gainesville, FL. Natural Selection, Microsoft Art Collection, Redmond, Washington. Contemporary Art and Photography, Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, Ohio. Something of the Night: Imaging the City, 1875–2005, Leeds City Art Gallery, London.
- 2006-07 POV: Photography Now and the Next Thirty Years, Photographic Resource Center, Boston, Massachusetts. Spectacular City, NWR Forum Düsseldorf, Germany. Suburban Escape, San Jose Museum of Art, San Jose, CA.
- 2007 The Philosophy of the Bedroom, Chelsea Art Museum, New York, NY. ELOI: Stumbling Towards Paradise, UCR CA Museum of Photography, Riverside, CA. The Gray Area, Sonoma Valley Museum, Sonoma, CA.
- 2010 Day & Night, Main Exhibition Copenhagen Photo Festival, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 1996: Barclay Simpson Award, California College of the Arts, CA. Joinet winner with Geoffrey Chadsey.
- 1998: The Wallace Alexander Gerbode Foundation, Visual Arts Award.[n 1]
- 1998: Recent Graduate of Distinction Award, California College of the Arts, CA.
- 2001: Eureka Fellowship, Fleishhacker Foundation.
- 2002: Best First Monograph of 2001, Photo-Eye.
||This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015)|
Hido's work is held in the following public and private collections:
- The Art Institute of Chicago, IL.
- Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Fort Worth, TX.
- Avampato Discovery Museum, Charleston, WV.
- Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive, Berkeley, CA.
- Berman Collection, Los Angeles, CA.
- Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, OH.
- David Winton Bell Gallery, Brown University, Providence, RI.
- Di Rosa, Napa, CA.
- George Eastman House, Rochester, NY.
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, NY.
- Heiting Collection, Los Angeles, CA.
- Joy of Giving Something, Inc., NY.
- JPMorgan Chase Art Collection, NY.
- Katonah Museum of Art, NY.
- Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, Kansas City, MO.
- LaSalle Bank, Chicago, IL.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, CA.
- Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, Madison, WI.
- Margulies Photography Collection, Miami, FL.
- Mellon Financial, Pittsburgh, OH.
- Metropolitan Bank and Trust, Cleveland, OH.
- Microsoft Art Collection, Redmond, WA.
- Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago, OH.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, TX.
- National Media Museum, Bradford, England.
- New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans, LA.
- The New York Public Library, NY.
- North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh, NC.
- Norton Museum of Art, West Palm Beach, FL.
- Oakland Museum of California, CA.
- The Progressive Corporation, Mayfield Village, OH.
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, CA.
- SEI Investments Company, Oaks, PA.
- Sierra Great Basin Collection, Reno, NV.
- Toledo Art Museum, Toledo, OH.
- Whitney Museum of American Art, NY.
- The Wallace Alexander Gerbode Foundation's "Special Awards Recipients 1987-Present" PDF here does not list Hido.
- Berwick, Carly. Todd Hido: Julie Saul, ART news, November, pp. 153–154. 2004.
- Helfand, Glen. Todd Hido. (Stephen Wirtz), Artforum International, October 2001.
- Grundberg, Andy. House sitting: the photography of Todd Hido, Artforum, May 1998.
- Glueck, Grace. "Art in Review : Todd Hido - 'Roaming: New Landscapes'". The New York Times. Retrieved October 8, 2004.
- "Space 15 Twenty". Space 15 Twenty. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Kemper Museum of Art Exhibitions". Kemperart.org. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "The MMoCA Collects Site Has Moved". MMoCA. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Official website
- Bruce Silverstein Gallery
- Kaune, Posnik, Spohr Gallery
- Todd Hido at Kadist Art Foundation
- 'Working in the Vicinity of Narrative: Todd Hido and Darius Himes' from School of Visual Arts. Hido presentation of his career (video)