|Born||December 20, 1968|
Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.
Tom Bukovac (born December 20, 1968) is an American guitarist, producer and songwriter. Born in Cleveland, Ohio, and raised in nearby Willowick, Ohio, Bukovac picked up his first guitar when he was eight years old. His earliest gigs were played at The Surfside Lounge in Eastlake Ohio, which was owned and run by his widowed mother, Norma. In 1992, Bukovac made the move to Nashville to pursue a career as a guitarist.
To date, Bukovac has played on over 700 albums, including recording projects by:
- Stevie Nicks
- Ann Wilson
- Dan Auerbach
- Dean Deleo
- Vince Gill
- Steven Tyler
- Bob Seger
- Willie Nelson
- Dave Stewart
- Joan Osborne
- Sheryl Crow
- Joss Stone
- Faith Hill
- Keith Urban
- Blake Shelton
- Morgan Wallen
- Hank Williams Jr.
- Kid Rock
- Taylor Swift
- Joe Cocker
- Ceelo Green
- Rascal Flatts
- Don Henley
- Rob Thomas
- Cyndi Lauper
- Lionel Richie
- Beach Boys
- Kenny Chesney
- Lady A
- John Waite
- John Oates
- Carrie Underwood
- Martina McBride
- Richie Furay
Into the spotlight
In the spring of 2020, as the world settled into lockdown, Bukovac launched a YouTube series called Corona Lessons, which was initially intended to be a tongue-in-cheek commentary on all things guitar culture, as well as an offering of free guitar lessons to viewers. Rather by surprise to Bukovac, Corona Lessons quickly developed an audience into the thousands, popularizing nicknames like Uncle Larry, Session Man, Starship Trooper, Your Sagittarius Buddy from Cleveland, Little Tommy (6’3”), King of the Smears; amongst others.
As pandemic-fatigue grew, Bukovac decided to rename the series Homeskoolin’. In celebration of the 100th episode, he hosted two livestream shows at Nashville’s Third and Lindsley, which sold out almost immediately and were broadcast to his more than 50,000 subscribers.
In 2021, Bukovac is scheduled to release two new albums. Stay tuned!
After 15 years in collaboration with, and as an endorser of, Duesenberg Guitars, in early 2021 the company released “The Session Man” model as part of their Alliance Series. Many of Bukovac’s design features were slightly unusual compared to the company’s other models.
These features include:
- The guitar has no fretboard inlays, except for “Session Man” being etched into the 12th fret
- The Session Man is Duesenberg’s first natural finish guitar, with a flamed maple top, two humbuckers and a blendable Piezo pickup
- The two control knobs are labeled “M’ and “L” for Bukovac’s two sons, Marshall and Leo
From 2014 to approximately 2016, Bukovac owned and operated 2nd Gear Used Music in the Berry Hill area of Nashville.
Bukovac has toured with:
Wynonna Judd (mid 90’s) | John Fogerty (2000) | Faith Hill (2007) | Vince Gill (2016, 2018) | Joe Walsh (2017) | Ann Wilson (2021)
Producers and production credits
Among the producers who have called upon Bukovac for sessions are: Mutt Lange, Don Was, Matt Serletic, Dan Auerbach, Dann Huff.
Bukovac has himself served as producer for artists like Ann Wilson, Trigger Hippy and Gianna Naninni.
Bukovac has two sons, Marshall and Leo, from his 11 year marriage to songwriter Sarah Buxton. The couple divorced in 2021.
Awards and nominations
Music Row Magazine Awards
|2005||Session Guitarist of the Year||Winner|
|2006||Session Guitarist of the Year||Winner|
|2007||Session Guitarist of the Year||Winner|
|2008||Session Guitarist of the Year||Winner|
|2009||Session Guitarist of the Year||Winner|
Academy of Country Music Awards
|2004||Guitar Player of the Year||Nominee|
|2005||Top Guitar Player of the Year||Nominee|
|2006||Guitar Player of the Year||Nominee|
|2007||Top Guitarist of the Year||Nominee|
|2008||Top Guitarist of the Year||Winner|
|2010||Guitarist of the Year||Winner|
|2012||Guitarist of the Year||Nominee|
|2014||Guitar Player of the Year||Winner|
- Guitar, Vintage. "September 2005 | Vintage Guitar® magazine". Retrieved 2021-06-25.
- "Tom Bukovac | Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2021-06-25.
- "501chorusecho - YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2021-06-25.
- "(SOLD OUT) Tom Bukovac's Homeskoolin". 3rd and Lindsley. Retrieved 2021-06-25.
- "Alliance Series Tom Bukovac | DUESENBERG GUITARS". Duesenberg. Retrieved 2021-06-25.
- "2nd Gear Used Music Consignment". originalfuzz.com. Retrieved 2021-06-25.
- "Past Musician Award Winners". MusicRow.com. 2009-05-08. Retrieved 2021-06-25.
- "Academy of Country Music | Search Winners". www.acmcountry.com. Retrieved 2021-06-25.