Lip in 2010
Frank Anthony Vallelonga|
July 30, 1930
Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
January 4, 2013 (aged 82)|
Teaneck, New Jersey
|Residence||Paramus, New Jersey|
|Spouse(s)||Delores Lip (?-1999)|
Tony Lip (born Frank Anthony Vallelonga; July 30, 1930 – January 4, 2013) was an American actor and occasional author, best known for his portrayal of crime boss Carmine Lupertazzi in the HBO series The Sopranos. He portrayed real-life Bonanno crime family mobster Philip Giaccone, in Donnie Brasco, and real-life Lucchese crime family mobster Francesco Manzo, in Goodfellas. It was at the Copacabana Nightclub where he first met Francis Ford Coppola and Louis DiGiamo, leading to his film debut in The Godfather but in a very small role. He also co-wrote his own book in 2005 named Shut Up And Eat!
Early and personal life
Lip was born in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania but grew up in The Bronx near John Gotti's boyhood home. He earned the nickname "Lip" in 1938 as he was very persuasive and could out-talk anyone. Lip also served in the United States army in years 1951 and 1953 while stationed in Germany. He worked at the Copacabana, starting in 1961, as maître d’ and supervisor, and met famous people like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. Lip had resided in Paramus, New Jersey with his wife Dolores who died in 1999.
- The Godfather (1972) - Wedding Guest (uncredited)
- Crazy Joe (1974) - Mafia Hood (uncredited)
- The Super Cops (1974) - Detroit Hitman (uncredited)
- Dog Day Afternoon (1975) - Cop at JFK (uncredited)
- The Godfather: A Novel for Television (1977) - Wedding Guest (uncredited)
- Raging Bull (1980) - Nightcluber (uncredited)
- The Pope of Greenwich Village (1984) - Frankie
- Year of the Dragon (1985) - Lenny Carranza
- Heart (1987) - Max
- Last Rites (1988) - Cabbie
- Lock Up (1989) - Guard
- Goodfellas (1990) - Frankie The Wop
- 29th Street (1991) - Nicky Bad Lungs
- Innocent Blood (1992) - Frank
- Who's the Man? (1993) - Vito Pasquale
- A Brilliant Disguise (1994) - Pete
- In the Kingdom of the Blind, the Man with One Eye Is King (1995) - Paulie
- Donnie Brasco (1997) - Philly Lucky
- A Brooklyn State of Mind (1998) - Bartender
- The Signs of the Cross (2005) - Mario
- All In (2006) - Darkman
- Stiletto (2008) - Gus (final film role)
- Coutros, Evonne. " Who's the boss now? -- Paramus actor worked his way up to role he couldn't refuse", The Record (Bergen County), February 9, 2003. Accessed October 14, 2007.
- Coutros, Evonne (April 2008). "That Was Show Biz: Bill Miller's Riviera nightclub was a stage for top talent". (201) Magazine. Archived from the original on 2010-11-20. Retrieved 2010-01-11.
- "Actor Tony Lip Dies At Age Of 82, Known For Portraying Carmine Lupertazzi In HBO's The Sopranos". CBS News New York. Retrieved 6 January 2013.