This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Owner||City of Tampere|
|Previous names||Neulan huvipuisto (different park at the same location 1973-74)|
|Operating season||April to September (rides area) /
throughout the year
|Area||50.000 m² (rides area)|
|Major exhibits||aquarium, children's zoo|
Särkänniemi is an amusement park in Tampere, Finland. The park features an aquarium, a planetarium, a children's zoo, an art museum, an observation tower Näsinneula (Näsi Needle). Särkänniemi is the most popular amusement park in Finland with Linnanmäki in Helsinki. Särkänniemi has five, 6th under construction rollercoasters: inverted coaster Tornado, flying coaster Trombi, MotoGee, Half Pipe and Hype, a launched steel coaster Sky Rocket II opening in spring 2017, and family coaster Vauhtimato ("Whirly Worm"). Särkänniemi is owned by the city of Tampere and attracts about 1.100.000 visitors per annum. Särkänniemi is the biggest rival for Linnanmäki as the lead amusement park in Finland. Both are about the same size. The park gave up the dolphinarium in 2016 and the dolphins were safely transported to Attica Zoological Park in Greece. The kiddie flume "Taikajoki" has been demolished, and it is expected to return to the park sometime between season 2018 or 2019.
Särkänniemi has been voted several times as the best leisure center and the greatest amusement park in Finland.
This multi-purpose park is owned by the city of Tampere and boasts a variety of rides as well as an Aquarium that was opened in 1969, a Planetarium that opened in 1969, a children's zoo that opened in 1970, a 168m tall Observation Tower that opened in 1971, Sara Hilden Art Museum opened in 1979, the Dolphinarium opened in 1985.
The amusement part aspect of Särkänniemi started in 1973 with the opening of Neulan Huvipuisto (Neulan´s Amusement); in the beginning the park offered only a handful of children's rides. In 1975 the city of Tampere took over the operations of the fun park and integrated it into other attractions on the peninsula.
Located on the peninsula, about a kilometer from the city center of Tampere, that juts out into the Black Gulf. The area used to house three different breweries in the 18th century onward and in the 20th century a huge warehouse serving the log industry was built on the peninsula of Särkänniemi. These buildings were demolished in the 1960´s.
The park is easily accessible by bus nr 4 and nr 16.
The 25-acre amusement park is not divided into specifically themed sections although one area is called Kiddie Land and in 2012 an Angry Birds Land was opened.
|Ride Name||Type||Opened in||Manufacturer||Additional Informations|
|Hype||steel launched sit down||under construction. Opening May 2017||Premier Rides||Reaches a speed of 62 mph (100 km/h) and a height of 150 ft (46 m) on a 853 ft (260 m) steel track with one full inversion (heartline twist, sky loop) and one twisted loop. Height limit 1.4 m (4 ft 7 in). Sky Rocket II model, train 1x12. Under construction until spring 2017.|
|Half Pipe||steel sit down||2003||Intamin||Reaches a speed of 43 mph (69 km/h) and a height of 98 ft (30 m) on a 230 ft (70 m) long half pipe track. Height limit 1.4 m (4 ft 7 in). Half Pipe model, train 2x8.|
|Motogee||flywheel launch sit down||2010||Zamperla||Reaches a speed of 42 mph (68 km/h) in just 2 seconds on a 1,194 ft (364 m) long track. Height limit 1.2 m (3 ft 11 in). Motocoaster model, train 2x5.|
|Tornado||steel inverted||2001||Intamin||Reaches a speed of 46 mph (74 km/h) and a height of 82 ft (25 m) on a 2,296 ft (700 m) long track with 5 inversions (loop, tunnel, cobra roll, heartline roll, heartline roll). Height limit 1.4 m (4 ft 7 in). Suspended looping coaster, train 2x12.|
|Trombi||steel flying||2005||Zamperla||Reaches a speed of 25 mph (40 km/h) and a height of 50 ft (15 m) on a 1,283 ft (391 m) long track with 2 inversions (heartline roll, heartline roll). Height limit 1.4 m (4 ft 7 in). Spiral lift Volare model, car 4x1.|
|Vauhtimato (Whirley Worm)||steel sit down||1984||Zierer||Reaches a speed of 16 mph (26 km/h) and a height of 11 ft (3 m) on a 197 ft (60 m) long track (60m). Height limit 1 m (3 ft 3 in) / 1.2 m (3 ft 11 in) alone. Small Tivoli model, train 2x5.|
|Ride Name||Type||Opened||Closed||Manufacturer||Additional Informations|
|Jet Star||Steel||1980||2012||Anton Schwarzkopf||Reaches a speed of 31 mph (50 km/h) and a height of 44 ft (13 m) on a 1,765 ft (538 m) track. Height limit 1.4 m (4 ft 7 in). Jet Star model, designed by Ing-Buro Stengel, car 1x4.|
- Rapids Ride- this Rapids Adventure ride was opened in 1999. Intamin; a 6-passenger boat journeys a 490 meters course with a tunnel and a waterfall.
- Log River - a log flume ride that opened in 1982. Reverchon, Tamperer; a 400 meter long course with 3 drops, the highest of which is 13 m tall.
- Magic River - leisurely canal boat ride that opened in 1979. Sarkanniemi Park.
- Audi Racing - bumper cars that opened in 1986. Reverchon.
- Funny House - walkthrough
- Gazebo - swing ride that opened in 1996. Gestlauer.
- Hurricane - giant swing that opened in 1991; height limit 1,2m. Mondial.
- Planetarium - opened in 1969.
- Take Off - breakdance spinner that opened in 2006; height limit 1,3m. Huss.
- Time Carpet - magic carpet that opened in 1983; height limit 1,4m. Zierer.
- Troika - troika spinner ride that opened in 1975; height limit 1m. Huss.
- Surge - diskO that opened in 2009; height limit 1,2m. Zamperla.
- Viking Ship - swinging Viking ship that opened in 1988. Zierer.
- Ilmaveivi - wave swinger that opened in 1989. Zierer.
- Angry Birds - play area with kiddie rides that opened in 2012. Lappset / Rovio.
- Angry Birds Obstacle Course - obstacle course that opened in 2012. Lappset.
- Angry Birds Rides - kiddie rides that opened in 2012. Zamperla.
- Bounce Castel - bouncy castle for kids only.
- Candy Carousel - merry go round that opened in 1993. Bertazzon.
- Coffee Cups - spinning cups for kids only. Soriani&Moser.
- Convoy Truck Race - convoy trucks for kids only. Cosetto.
- Crazy Bus - crazy bus ride. Zamperla.
- Lady Bird - roundabout. Modern Products.
- Little Ladybird - mini roundabout for young kids only. Modern Products.
- Magic Bikes - magic bike ride that opened in 2008. Zamperla.
- Mushroom Race roundabout ride. Modern Products.
- Old Timers - on track cars that opened in 1981. Ihle.
- Pavilion Carousel - carousel for kids. Modern Products.
- Piggy Train - mini train for kids only that opened in 1994. Zamperla.
- Pirate Ship - small swinging pirate ship. Modern Products.
- Red Baron - airplanes. Soriani & Moser.
- Regatta - roundabout boat ride. Soriani & Moser.
- Rocking Tug - rocking tug ride that opened in 2004. Zamperla.
- Turtle Train - mini train for kids only that opened in 1999. Zamperla.
- The Aquarium at Särkänniemi was opened in 1969. It has a total combined aquarium volume of 550,000 litres (150,000 US gal), and is home to more than 3,000 animals representing 200 species. The lower floor of the aquarium includes a mangrove swamp habitat that is home to monos, archer fish, gourami fish, rainbow sharks and blowfish.
- The Children´s Zoo that opened in 1970 has over 30 different species of animals on show.
- The Dolphinarium that opened in 1985 had 5 bottlenosed dolphins that performed all year around. The Dolphinarium was closed in 2015
- Näsinneula Observation Tower that opened in 1971 is 168 meters tall and it has a restaurant on the top floor.
- Sara Hilden Art Museum opened in 1979 and has on display works from mostly contemporary Finnish artists.
- "Beautiful and delightfully dreadful things swim in the Aquarium". sarkanniemi.fi. Särkänniemi. Retrieved July 14, 2012.