The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (July 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founder||Travis Pittman, Shawn Pittman|
Number of locations
|Vienna, Toronto, Brisbane|
|Products||Multi-day group tours|
|Services||Internet booking engine|
Number of employees
TourRadar is an online travel agency and reviews website that specializes in multi-day tours. It claims to have more than 40,000 tours available from more than 1,500 different tour operators worldwide, and acts as an online marketplace for third party tour operators to list their tours so travelers can find and book them.
Founded in 2010, TourRadar was created by Australian brothers Travis and Shawn Pittman, and was inspired by their social travel website BugBitten. TourRadar has since grown to include reviews, and an online travel blog called Days to Come.
In June 2013, TourRadar announced a round of angel funding from investors including ex-CEO of Expedia, Erik Blachford.
In May 2014, TourRadar appeared on Austria's version of Dragons' Den, "2 Minuten, 2 Millionen" (2 Minutes, 2 Million), and secured $500,000 USD in funding led by former chief executives from Expedia and HolidayCheck, as well as funding from SpeedInvest, an Austrian Investment Company.
In September 2015, TourRadar launched in North America, establishing an office in Toronto, Canada. Christian Wolters, former VP of Sales and Marketing at Intrepid Travel, was announced as the North America Managing Director.
In October 2017, TourRadar announced that they had completed a Series B funding round. In total, an additional $10,000,000 USD was raised to expand the company's technology and product departments. Later that year, TourRadar was named one of the top 3 start-ups in Austria by Trend Magazine. In the same year they also made the Travolution Awards Shortlist in the following categories:
- Best for Experiences
- Best Travel Blog
- Best Use of Search Engine Marketing
In June 2018, TourRadar raised $50 million in Series C funding, led by Silicon Valley growth venture capital firm, TCV, who previously backed Expedia and Airbnb. The funding also included participation from existing investors Cherry Ventures, Endeit Capital, Hoxton Ventures and Speedinvest. In November, the company was named Austria's Best Start-up of the Year by Trend Magazine.
In February 2019, TourRadar launched a global search for two strangers willing to travel the world together for 50 days. Together the two strangers would have their experiences documented by a film crew while they traveled on 5 tours to 5 different destinations, sponsored by Intrepid Travel. The winners were announced by TourRadar on May 15th, 2019 and the first episode of their experience aired on YouTube on May 30th, 2019. The series is called Tour the World.
TourRadar has offices in the following 3 cities:
- Brisbane (Australia)
- Vienna (Austria)
- Toronto (Canada)
TourRadar employs more than 200 employees worldwide.
- "VIDEO: TourRadar on raising money and thinking about a big market | PhocusWire". www.phocuswire.com. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- "TourRadar, #1 Online Travel Agency for Multi-Day Tours, Announces US$50M Series C Funding Round Led by TCV". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- “Our Founders”. TourRadar. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Kevin May:“TLabs Showcase - TourRadar”. TNooz. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- “Dear tour operators, welcome to 2014 – online reviews drive bookings”. Tnooz. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Days to Come by TourRadar.com | Travel Magazine, Blog, and Articles". Days to Come. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- Robin Wauters: “Social group tour marketplace TourRadar books funding from ex-Expedia CEO and others”. The Next Web. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Michael Altrichter (3 April 2014), 2 Minuten 2 Millionen / Puls4 - Michael Altrichter "Tourradar", retrieved 25 July 2018
- Thomas Ohr:"Group tour platform TourRadar secures $500k in angel funding". EU-Startups. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "TourRadar Launches in North America". TravelPress. 2 September 2015. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- “TourRadar Launches in North America”. TravelPress. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "TourRadar locates $6M Series A for its travel tour booking site". TechCrunch. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- "TourRadar wades into the river cruise market: Travel Weekly". www.travelweekly.com. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- http://www.travolution.com/articles/104813/tourradar-raises-10-million-in-series-b-funding. Retrieved 25 July 2018. Missing or empty
- "Ranking: Österreichs beste Start-ups 2017". trend.at (in German). 23 November 2017. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- Group, Travel Weekly. "Travolution Awards: Travolution Awards 2017". www.travolutionawards.co.uk. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- "TourRadar, the OTA for tour holidays, scores $50M Series C led by Silicon Valley's TCV". TechCrunch. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- "TourRadar, the OTA for tour holidays, scores $50M Series C led by Silicon Valley's TCV". TechCrunch. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- https://plus.google.com/+travelandleisure/posts. "You Can Travel the World for Free — If You're Willing to Do It With a Stranger". Travel + Leisure. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- "Small Group Tours & Travel, Big Adventures | Intrepid Travel". www.intrepidtravel.com. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- "Meet the Two People Who Will Be Touring the World with TourRadar". Days to Come. 15 May 2019. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- TourRadar (30 May 2019), Tour the World - Ep 1: "Is that a yes?", retrieved 18 June 2019
- "Contact us". www.tourradar.com. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- "LinkedIn". LinkedIn.