|Full name||José María Añibarro Astondoa|
|Date of birth||26 July 1979|
|Place of birth||Zeberio, Spain|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|Athletic Bilbao (youth)|
|2015–||Athletic Bilbao (youth)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Born in Zeberio, Biscay, Añibarro played amateur football well into his 20s. In the 2005 summer, he joined Sestao River Club in Tercera División, and appeared in 32 matches in his debut season, which ended in promotion.
On 5 June 2008, Añibarro signed with Basque neighbours SD Eibar. He played his first match as a professional on 3 September, starting and being sent off in a 0–1 loss at CD Castellón for the campaign's Copa del Rey. He made his Segunda División debut on the 20th, starting in a 0–0 home draw against Celta de Vigo, and scored his first professional goal on 25 April of the following year, but in a 2–3 home loss to Real Zaragoza.
Añibarro appeared in 25 matches in his first season, as the Armeros were relegated to the third level. He remained as a starter in the following years, contributing with 27 appearances in the promotion campaign of 2012–13.
On 25 June 2014, after Eibar's promotion to La Liga, 34-year-old Añibarro renewed his contract for a further year. He only made his debut in the competition on 16 January of the following year, coming on as a second half substitute for Borja Ekiza in a 1–1 away draw against Córdoba CF.
|2006–07||Segunda División B||31||1||1||0||—||32||1|
|2007–08||Segunda División B||30||0||1||0||—||31||0|
|2009–10||Segunda División B||30||0||1||0||4[a]||0||35||0|
|2010–11||Segunda División B||33||1||1||0||4[a]||0||38||1|
|2011–12||Segunda División B||30||0||2||0||2[a]||0||34||0|
|2012–13||Segunda División B||21||0||6||0||6[a]||0||33||0|
- Appearances in Promotion play-offs
- Txema Añibarro no quiere «jugar en otro equipo que no sea el Eibar» (Txema Añibarro does not want to «play for a club other than Eibar»); El Correo, 17 July 2013 (in Spanish)
- Txema Añibarro: 'Messi igual piensa que Añibarro es un río de Eibar' (Txema Añibarro: 'Maybe Messi thinks Añibarro is a river in Eibar'); El Mundo, 14 March 2015 (in Spanish)
- Añibarro; at Futbolistas Vascos de Bronce (in Spanish)
- 43 novatos (43 rookies); Mundo Deportivo, 25 October 2002 (in Spanish)
- El Eibar ficha al central Txema Añibarro y al lateral Alvaro Martínez, del Sestao (Eibar sign stopper Txema Añibarro and full-back Alvaro Martínez, from Sestao); El Correo, 10 June 2008 (in Spanish)
- El Castellón ilusiona a su afición y pasa a la siguiente ronda (Castellón excite supporters and go through to the next round); Levante-EMV, 4 September 2008 (in Spanish)
- El Celta consigue su primer punto en Ipurúa (Celta get their first point in Ipurúa); Marca, 20 September 2008 (in Spanish)
- El Zaragoza coquetea con el desastre (Zaragoza flirt with disaster); Marca, 25 April 2009 (in Spanish)
- Una regeneración completa, o casi, para una nueva etapa (Complete regeneration, or nearly, for a new spell); Gara, 3 June 2009 (in Spanish)
- Añibarro: "Voy a cumplir mi sueño de pequeño de jugar en Primera y con el Eibar" (Añibarro: "I am going to fulfill my childhood dream of playing in Primera and with Eibar"); Marca, 17 July 2014 (in Spanish)
- Txema Añibarro renueva por una temporada (Txema Añibarro renews for a season); SD Eibar, 25 June 2014 (in Spanish)
- El Eibar aprovecha una mala noche (Eibar take advantage of a bad night); Marca, 16 January 2015 (in Spanish)
- Organigrama de técnicos de Lezama (Lezama's coach organigram); Athletic Bilbao, 17 June 2015 (in Spanish)
- Añibarro se retira y ficha por el Athletic como técnico (Añibarro retires and signs for Athletic as coach); Marca, 18 June 2015 (in Spanish)
- Txema Añibarro at Soccerway
- "Añibarro: José María Añibarro Astondoa". BDFutbol. Retrieved 22 March 2015.