|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
|Services||Distribution and support on the Lightbend Reactive Platform|
Lightbend, formerly known as Typesafe, is a company founded by Martin Odersky, the creator of the Scala programming language, Jonas Bonér, the creator of the Akka middleware, and Paul Phillips in 2011. It provides an open-source platform for building Reactive applications for the JVM, consisting of the Play Framework, Akka middleware and Scala programming language, with additional supporting products and development tools such as the Scala IDE for Eclipse, the Slick database query, and access library for Scala and the sbt build tool. Lightbend also provides training, consulting and commercial support on the platform.
In February 2016, the company was renamed from Typesafe to Lightbend and adopted a new logo.
The company's CEO is Mark Brewer and the CTO is Jonas Bonér. Viktor Klang serves as the Chief Architect and Derek Henninger as its Vice President of Engineering.
Lightbend initially raised $3 million for Series A funding from Greylock Partners. Lightbend then raised another $14 million for Series B from Shasta Ventures, Greylock Partners, Juniper Networks and Francois Stieger. Intel Capital is leading a new $20 million Series C round of funding along with new investor Blue Cloud Ventures and current backers Bain Capital Ventures, Polytech Ecosystem Ventures, and Shasta Ventures. This brings funding to date to $42 million.
Lightbend leads the following open-source software projects:
- Scala programming language
- Akka event-driven middleware
- Play Framework
- Spray Framework - RESTful framework for scala
- Slick database query and access library for Scala
- sbt build tool
- Scala IDE for Eclipse
- Typesafe Activator & Typesafe Console
- Lagom Reactive Microservices Framework
Lightbend also offers Lightbend Subscription, which offers 24/7 developer support and a commercial product Lightbend Production Suite. Lightbend Production Suite includes Service Orchestration, Lightbend Monitoring, Application Resilience, and Enhanced Availability.
Lightbend hosts an annual conference called Scala Days which brings together developers from around the world to share their experiences and new ideas around creating applications with Scala.
- "Paul Phillips: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- Darrow, Barb (2011). "Scala sets sights on top-tier status among the Java faithful". gigaom.com. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- Reactive Streams Releases First Stable Version for JVM
- A Journey into Reactive Streams
- Reactive Streams 1.0.0 interview
- "Company Leadership". typesafe.com. 2014. Retrieved January 24, 2014.
- Matz, Cade (2011). "Scala daddy wraps his Java baby in Red Hat-ness". theregister.co.uk. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- Rao, Leena (2012). "Typesafe Raises $14M From Shasta, Greylock, And Juniper To Commercialize Scala". techcrunch.com. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- "Intel Invests in Lightbend and Its Scala Language". Fortune. 2016-05-26. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- Darrow, Barb (2012). "Typesafe Announces Scala Language Integrated Connection Kit". drdobbs.com. Retrieved January 24, 2014.
- Darrow, Barb (2013). "Slick: Functional Relational Mapping for Scala". typesafe.com. Retrieved January 24, 2014.
- Darrow, Barb (2011). "Scala IDE for Eclipse". scala-ide.org. Retrieved January 24, 2014.
- Darrow, Barb (2013). "Typesafe Activator". typesafe.com. Retrieved January 24, 2014.
- "Lightbend Lagom". Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Reactive Platform for Production". Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- "ConductR - A Reactive Application Manager for Operations". Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- "Lightbend Monitoring". Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- "Split Brain Resolver". Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- "Scala Days 2013". scaladays.org. 2013. Retrieved September 13, 2013.