University of Isfahan
|Endowment||US$ 35.14 million|
(September 20, 2014)
|President||Dr. Hossein Harsij|
|Campus||Urban (652 acres)|
The University of Isfahan (UI) (Persian: دانشگاه اصفهان Dāneshgāh-e Esfāhān) is a state-operated university located in Isfahan, Iran. It is ranked among the top 10 universities in Iran. The university is located on Azadi square of Isfahan. It has another campus in Khansar. University of Isfahan offers undergraduate degrees in 71 fields, graduate degrees in 185 fields and postgraduate in 119 fields.
The University of Isfahan was built in 1946. The decision to establish the university was an idea developed by a number of doctors at Amin Hospital in 1939. Eventually, the board of directors of the hospital approved a plan to establish Isfahan Higher Medical Institute in 1946. In September of the same year, an ad signed by lecturer Dr. Jelveh, then caretaker of Isfahan Province Health and Medical Treatment Department, was published in local newspapers calling on prospective students to enroll in the new institute. The first classes were held at Sadi High School (now Soureh Institute). Many more students enrolled in subsequent years; therefore, the institute had to find a larger campus to accommodate the growing number of new students. The first classes took place on October 29, 1950. Medical sciences were split off into a separate school, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, in 1985.
As of 2020, the university has fourteen faculties which are:
- Faculty of Administrative Sciences and Economics
- Faculty of Biological Science and Technology
- Faculty of Chemistry
- Faculty of Civil Engineering and Transportation
- Faculty of Computer Engineering
- Faculty of Education and Psychology
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Foreign Languages
- Faculty of Geographical Sciences and Planning
- Faculty of Literature and Humanities
- Faculty of Mathematics and Statistics
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Sport Sciences
- Faculty of Theology and Ahl Al-Bayt (Prophet's Descendants) Studies
|Mohammad Ali Tusi||1977-1979|
|Mohammad Ali Shahzamanian||1980-1981|
|Akbar Shah Mohammadi||1981-1982|
|Seyed Morteza Saghaiannejad||1982-1985|
|Mohammad Hossein Ramasht||2005-2013|
The university's logo was designed by Dr. Hossein Yaghini in 1968 by order of Dr. Motamedi, the president of the university.
|Global – Overall|
CWTS Leiden Ranking:
2019: (P indicator): 765
2018: (P indicator): 776
2017: (P indicator): 797
Times Higher Education World University Rankings:
- Business and management: 584
- Chemistry: 692
- Engineering ranking: 598
- Nusrat Bhutto, former First Lady of Pakistan.
- Farideh Firoozbakht, a mathematician.
- Mohammad Khatami, former President of Iran.
- Ata'ollah Mohajerani, former minister of culture of Iran.
- Houshang Golshiri, Fiction writer, critic and editor
- Hrant Markarian, head of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation.
- Fatemeh Shayan, Political Scientist and winner of the 10 International Farabi Award
- Higher Education in Iran
- Isfahan University of Technology
- Isfahan University of Medical Sciences
- Mohajer Technical University of Isfahan, Isfahan
- "جدول بودجه 42 دانشگاه کشور/ کمترین و بیشترین بودجه ها از آن کدام دانشگاهها شد". خبرگزاری مهر | اخبار ایران و جهان | Mehr News Agency. 9 December 2013.
- "University of Isfahan". Ui.ac.ir. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- "روءساي گذشته تاكنون". admin.ui.ac.ir.
- "نشان واره دانشگاه (آرم)". ui2.ui.ac.ir.
- Studies (CWTS), Centre for Science and Technology. "CWTS Leiden Ranking". CWTS Leiden Ranking.
- "University of Isfahan". Times Higher Education (THE). 23 March 2020.