|Established||1878-1905 & 1965-present|
|Postgraduates||up to 1,000|
|Location|| Urmia, West Azerbaijan Province, Iran
|Campus||Urban & Suburban|
|Colors||turquoise and white
Urmia University (Persian: دانشگاه ارومیه (also known as University of Urmia) is a public university in West Azerbaijan province, Iran. The main campus of Urmia University is in Nazlu in vicinity of Urmia. It has six campuses, seven schools, more than 14,000 students, and several exclusive research centers including: Microelectronic, Antenna and Microwave Laboratory, NanoTechnology, MEMS, and Artimia. The Urmia University also has two satellite campuses in Khoy and Miyandoab city. Nazlu campus of Urmia University is the biggest university campus in size in northwest of Iran. Urmia University is ranked as one of Iran's "Grade A" universities by Iranian Ministry of Science.
West Minster Medical College (1878-1905)
Urmia University is founded in the place of West Minster Medical college in the city of Urmia, which was founded by Joseph Cochran in 1878. West Minster College is considered the first attempt to establish higher education institution in Urmia. Dr. Cochran an American citizen who born in Urmia spent whole of his professional life in developing the medical college and hospital in Urmia.
The website of Urmia University credits attempts of Cochran for "lowering the infant mortality rate in the region"  and for founding one of Iran's first modern hospitals (Westminister Hospital) in Urmia. The medical faculty Cochran established was joined by several other American medical doctors including Drs. Wright, Homlz, van Nourdon, and Miller. They lived for whole of their life in Urmia.
The certificates of the graduates from West Minster Medical College were signed jointly by Dr. Cochran and King Mozaffar-edin Shah. This college continued to educate medical science until the death of Dr. Cochran in 1905. The office of Dr. Cochran and his medical college in wooden building are preserved in city campus of Urmia University. The university website honored Cochran and his team's work saying
There they lie in peace away from their homeland, and the testimonial epitaphs on their tombs signify their endeavor and devotion to humanity.
Later developments (1965-)
The formal foundation for current Urmia University was in 1965, when the Agricultural College of Rezaeiye was established. Mr. Shabani was appointed as the first consular of the newly established college. In 1969, Jafar Rassi was appointed as chancellor to continue expansion of the University. In 1970 Iranian Ministry of Science assigned further development of the college to university. An agreement was signed between Iranian government and Near East Foundation in United State to establish four-year program. Later Dr. Rassi appointed as the new consular of the college. Dr. Rassi, the longest serving chancellor of Urmia University till now, established the Animal Science and Science Departments. Under his leadership the college started four-year program of bachelor's degree. He also established partnership with European and American schools to establish exchange of scholars. He planned the expansion in Nazlu Campus which is now the primary location for the University. With the new developments the complex was renamed University of Rezaeye in 1977. After revolution in 1979, the name of the university is changed to Urmia University. On 1980, the faculty of Medical Science is established. As part of Iranian Ministry of Health Urmia University of Medical Sciences detached from the main school in 1985. Faculty of Humanitarian Science established on 1989 and Faculty of Engineering established on 1990.
- Nazlu Campus, the main campus, in Nazlu village.
- City Campus, in Urmia city.
- Literature Campus, inside Urmia city.
- School of Economics Campus, 1.5th km of Serow Rd.
- School of Arts Campus, inside Urmia city.
- Khoy Campus
One of the famous building of Urmia University is Wooden Building, which is the oldest building in the city campus. In present-day most of the major building of Urmia University are in Nazlu campus are
- Central library
- School of Science
- School of Engineering
- School of Agriculture
- School of Medical Science
- Department of Natural Resources
- Department of Paramedical Science
- Animal Science Department
- Veterinary Science Building
- Classroom Building
- Enrollment office building
- Azadegan Gymnasium
- Chamran Auditorium
- Technology Park
- Central Restaurant
- North campus (boys residence)
- South campus (girls residence)
Urmia University consists of seven schools including
School of Engineering
- Department of Mechanical engineering
- Department of Electrical engineering
- Department of Civil engineering
- Department of Computer Engineering
- Department of Surveying
- Department of Mining
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Industrial Engineering
School of Sciences
- Department of Physics
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Geology
- Department of Biology
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Environmental science
School of Humanities Science and Literature
- Department of Islamic History
- Department of Geography
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Physical Education & Sport Sciences
- Department of English literature
- Department of Persian literature
- Department of Turkish literature
- Department of Islamic Mysticism
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Painting
School of Agriculture
- Department of Agricultural Extension & Education
- Department of Agronomy & Plant Breeding
- Department of Animal Sciences
- Department of Food Industry
- Department of Horticulture
- Department of Irrigation
- Department of Plant Protection
- Department of Soil Sciences
School of Economics
Faculty of Veterinary
Faculty of Arts
- Artemia & Aquatic Animals Research Center (English)
- MicroElectronics Research Center, established by Prof. Hadidi from UCLA, USA 
- Urmia MEMS Center (UMC) 
- Biological Sciences Research Center 
- Urmia University Research Center of Structure
- Antenna and High Frequency Research Center, established by Prof. Ghobadi and Prof. Nourinia
- Artimia Research Center
- Nanotechnology Center
|Joseph Cochran||1878-1899||New York Medical College||Medicine|
|Jafar Rassi||1969-1979||Cornell University||Education|
|Javad Farhoudi||1980-1982||University of Southampton||Hydraulic Structures Engineering|
|Javad Farhoudi||1986-1991||University of Southampton||Hydraulic Structures Engineering|
|Rahim Hobbenaghi||1997-2001||University of Tehran||Veterinary Science|
|Goudarz Sadeghi-Hashjin||2001-2005||Utrecht University||Pharmacology|
|Hassan Sedghi||2006-2014||University of New South Wales||Solid State Physics|
|Rahim Hobbenaghi||2014–present||University of Tehran||Veterinary Science|
- Isa Kalantari, former Minister of Agriculture in Iran.
- Mohammad Oraz, first Iran national who climbed Mt. Everest.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Urmia University.|