I've been cross-referencing the Melway first edition (1966) with the current edition. Of course, Melbourne has grown a lot since 1966, but I'm more interested in the things that have disappeared; railway lines and stations, drive-ins, schools, government facilities etc. I'm interested in the streets which have disappeared to make room for freeways or shopping centres - ghost-streets, I've decided to call them.
|Altona||55 D7||Altona Migrant Hostel||Williamstown Techno Park|
|Williamstown||55 J9||Williamstown Rifle Range||suburban streets|
|Williamstown||56 F10||Williamstown Pier Railway Station||gone|
|Newport||55 G3||Quarry||Soccer complex|
|Williamstown||55 C6||Mobiltown Railway Station||gone|
|Altona||55 A5||Paisley Railway Station||gone|
|Altona||55 A5||Altona Railway Station terminus||Line now continues|
|Altona||54 C7||Galvin Railway Station terminus||gone|
|Derrimut||53 F4||Village Drive-in||Go-Kart track|
|Deer Park||25 A12||Dept of Supply Ravenhall Explosives Railway Siding||gone|
|Deer Park||25 A12||ICIANZ Factories & Explosives Reserve ||Orica|
|Broadmeadows||6 J8||Broadstore Sidings ||Gone|
|Wantirna South||73 A1||Riddell Road||Gone|
|Macleod West||19 K5||Mont Park Railway Station||Gone|
|Preston||19 C11||Olympic Twin Drive-in theatre||Gone|
|Kensington||42 G3||Railway siding into MCC Abattoirs ||Housing|
|Kensington||42 G3||MCC Abattoirs||Housing|
|Kensington||42 H3||Army Ordnance Depot||Housing
I've also been cross-referencing the 8th edition of Gregory's Street Directory (1973) with the current Melway. This generally covers things not in the 1966 Melway. As the Melway is generally more comprehensive than the Gregory's, I'm presuming these are things built between 1966 and 1973, but now gone or changed.
|Suburb||Gregorys ref.||Melway ref.||1966||2005|
|Altona North||154 A11||54 H6||C. O. R. railway station ||gone|
|Altona North||153 H4||54 E1||Hoyts Drive-in||gone|
|Ardeer||152||26 C7||Sunshine Tip||Carrington Drive Reserve|
- A thread on the aus.rail newsgroup regarding Hoffman's Sidings, a railway siding that ran from Jewell Station, into the Hoffman Brickworks . Includes link to aerial photo of sidings . Although dismantled in 1972, it does not appear in the 1966 Melway.
- Campbellfield Station is listed in the 1966 Melway, even though it was closed in 1956.
- A post on Railpage states that more copies of the Melbourne UBD are sold outside Victoria than inside .
- ^ In the 8th edition of Gregory's Street Directory (1973), this is listed as Wiltona Migrant Hostel, presumedly a mix of Altona & Williamstown.
- ^ According to the first issue of Somersault , the journal of the Signalling Record Society of Victoria, the Ravenhall Siding opened on 9 December 1943 for defence purposes. It was little used, and dismantled in 1977 or 1978.
- ^ ICIANZ was the Australian and New Zealand arm of Imperial Chemical Industries
- ^ The Broadstore Siding was perhaps dismantled in 1985. It left the Broadmeadows Line just north of Broadmeadows Station and headed east into Broadmeadows Military Camp and Broadmeadows Migrant Hostel. A thread about the line on Railpage  and a photo from 1987 .
- ^ A thread on Railpage discussing this line .
- ^ The Commonwealth Oil Refinery (COR) began operations in Altona in 1924.