User talk:Acetic Acid/Archive 1
|This is an archive of past discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the current talk page.|
Hello Acetic Acid/Archive 1, and welcome to Wikipedia. Thank you for your contributions. I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
- The Five Pillars of Wikipedia
- How to edit a page
- Editing, policy, conduct, and structure tutorial
- Picture tutorial
- How to write a great article
- Naming conventions
- Manual of Style
- Merging, redirecting, and renaming pages
- If you're ready for the complete list of Wikipedia documentation, there's also Wikipedia:Topical index.
I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wikipedian! By the way, please be sure to sign your name on Talk and vote pages using four tildes (~~~~) to produce your name and the current date, or three tildes (~~~) for just your name. If you have any questions, see the help pages, add a question to the village pump or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome! --Phroziac (talk) 04:38, 23 July 2005 (UTC)
- Joy! @_@ --Acetic Acid 04:41, 23 July 2005 (UTC)
- 1 Neopets
- 2 Ahem
- 3 Page move vandal
- 4 .Thanks.
- 5 Re: Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream)
- 6 re:archive template
- 7 Are you new?
- 8 Page blanking
- 9 Exceptional Newcomer
- 10 Important VFD
- 11 THANKS!
- 12 Re: Welcome
- 13 Thanks Ryan
- 14 Hi Ryan
- 15 When all of your welcomes have been stolen...
- 16 Re:Welcome!
- 17 Thank you
- 18 More thanks
- 19 Re:Inappropriate user page
It really depends on the approach that is planned to be taken on that section. I personally think that the template is not needed, but feel free to use your judgement about wether it should be there or not. Anyway, I hope you find motivation to continue working on that article, as it could surely use some work. Cheers. --Sn0wflake 08:09, 24 July 2005 (UTC)
People might accuse you of being the same person as User:Ethanoic Acid.
Acegikmo1 04:58, 25 July 2005 (UTC)
- Replied. --Ryan 06:01, July 25, 2005 (UTC)
Page move vandal
Glad to hear you've gone straight. As long as you stick to making useful contributions, I promise to keep the auto de fe in check. Consider your prior sins absolved, and a plenary indulgence granted. Go and sin no more, pax tecum. -- Essjay · Talk 14:26, July 26, 2005 (UTC)
Re: Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream)
If you want to post a song on Wikipedia, just saying "Song xxx is a song by band yyyy is pretty useless. At least give us some information about it: Who wrote it, when was it written, who performed it, when was it performed, what is the song about, what album was it on, what kind of music is it, how popular was it, what's notable about it, etc. Lots of stuff you could write. Provide links to the band and possibly to other notable related songs. If the band doesn't have a link on Wikipedia, write it. Regards, DanMS 01:41, 28 July 2005 (UTC)
- Nice job on expanding the Birds Fly article. Now it looks like something worthwhile. My VFD for this article was not wasted—it got someone to do something with the article! DanMS 18:03, 31 July 2005 (UTC)
First of all, I think the creation of an archive template was long overdue, I'm actually fairly happy with that as a first generation of the template though I'm sure there's a way to due it better so any input on it is appreciated, I'm gonna make that something to actively work on to make better. Secondly don't apologize, you have your personal criteria for an RFA nomination, I have mine and I perfectly understand why users prefer a user have a certain amount of time under their belt before voting for them, I'm in no rush to have the extra weight on my shoulders and will probably try again in 2 months or so. Jtkiefer T | @ | C ----- 01:53, July 31, 2005 (UTC)
Are you new?
Saw you doing a lot of welcoming of new users this morning. Your page says you created the account July 22, 2005. That was like last week, right? I'm thinking of writing an article about people who become obsessed, um, I mean very active in Wikipedia in a very short time. Are you one of them? DavidH 09:02, July 30, 2005 (UTC)
- Thanks for the reply Ryan. I am collecting info for possible use in a (mainstream media) article. If you would be interested in being quoted, you can post on my talk page or reply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Here's what I'd like to know, with as much or little detail as you want to provide:
- Some general info 'bout you: Age, occupation or school, where you live, your general interests.
- What led you to Wikipedia?
- How involved you are, the kind of things you're doing on WP and how much time you're spending on it.
- Anything you particularly like about it.
- Any comments on how "addictive" you've found it or why you are such an active newcomer.
Thanks for any insight you can provide. I'll keep you updated and of course give links if I get something published. DavidH 18:04, July 30, 2005 (UTC)
To be fair, I haven't blanked my user page in a long long time, and the only times I've ever blanked my user page are those times when secretly I didn't think I'd come back to the project for extended periods, such as those times when I would be busy recording or such. I don't intend to blank my user page often, but from now on I am comfortable creating archives, no problem. Thank you. Bobo192|Edits
I hope you enjoy your first award. ;) Feel free to tinker with its position as you see fit. Best regards. --Sn0wflake 16:21, 30 July 2005 (UTC)
- You might find it meaningful to read WP:BS. It's merely rare to see somebody catching on so fast, so I decided to award you a little award. And given your... not so favorable background, that makes the situation even better. Cheers. --Sn0wflake 22:20, 30 July 2005 (UTC)
Please see the VFD for commons:List of victims of the 1913 Great Lakes storm. This is of vital importance. This list and others like it are being pushed off of the entire Wikimedia project. It started at Wikipedia, where they were VFDd in favor of moving to Wikisource/Commons. Now they are being VFDd off Wikisource (they don't really belong there, since they are not original source texts), with people there saying they should be on WP/Commons, and it is also being VFDd on Commons, where people don't realize that Commons accepts texts (says so right on the Main Page). This will set a precedent for any user-created lists. --
Ryan, thanks for your rapid reply to my query about your experience on Wikipedia. Shame <wags finger> on you for your early vandalism -- but you seem to be making up for it, and I appreciate your honesty. Keep on the straight path young man and good luck! DavidH 23:57, July 30, 2005 (UTC)
hey, cheers for the nice welcome, I was awfully surprised by it, havent seen that before! I've been a regular user of wikipedia since, well, early last year (2004), but never found something to add that hadn't been put there before.. Still learning the ropes in regards to composition, but we'll see how I go :) lol, definitely still learning :)
- AberBeta 10:27, 31 July 2005 (UTC)
It was great to see your message. Being a first timer, I am pleasantly surprised at the speed with which Wikipedia works, or at least some wikipedians like you start ragging innocent newcomers like me. I've just updated the Maharashtra 2005 floods page to add links to two blogs in the references section. Can you check if it was alright? Will go through the links you provided - just don't have the time right now. By the way what is all this award things and all. And I see that you too are a newcomer. Quite a vandal at that. Keep it up and thanks again. By the way how did you find me as a newcomer? How do I get all those awards? I'll stop here, I ask too many questions ;) Suhailkazi 10:30, 31 July 2005 (UTC)
Thanks for the welcome message ... I doubt I'll be a prolific Wikipedian, but I hope I can be useful here and there. (Speculative catholic 10:45, 31 July 2005 (UTC))
Same from me here. Otto ter Haar 17:59, 31 July 2005 (UTC)
When all of your welcomes have been stolen...
Thanks for the welcome :) It should please you that I read most of those tutorials, guides and whatnot before registering, I just decided to register because I've been reading and tweaking for almost two weeks straight now... I just hope I can continue to find my way in all the FAQs, guides, topics, help, wikipedia namespace stuff,.... ;) --Rygir 00:20, 1 August 2005 (UTC) PS: Signing on an azerty keyboard is harder than typing the name ;) (yes, button, yes link, I know :p)
- Not all of them, just the ones that I needed !Maybe that's something you could improve in the welcome message; throwing ten tons of guides at people is bound to scare them away, like you said yourself... it's like "giving a person a fish feeds them for a day, teaching them how to fish ...", in other words, telling people where to find answers (an hour ago I went looking for how to properly revert a page, I came across some vandalism and knew you should revert, but I didn't know how. Luckily a simple search for revert let me find wikipedia:revert :) .
- Heh...I love rambling on, that's why I stick to fixing spelling errors here :D
Btw...how do I put a proper line break here? And any clue why some pages respond to ** by making it a "double element", rather than nesting it?
- Rygir 00:34, 1 August 2005 (UTC) (forgot to sign it last time :p hope you're not getting confused by all the msgs)
- Hmm, it's 3am for me so coming up with a good phrasing appears to have become difficult :p
Maybe I should explain the problem : I wanted to indent this entire reply at once, while still having line breaks (not page breaks, I need the same as
does in html, or the "return" key on a keyboard). Which I'm now doing with excessive amounts of colons :)
- The other thing is the bulleted list. In some articles, doing ** results in an indented list...
- let's try it here (one asterisk)
- wonder what this does (colon+asterisk, should produce similar effect to what I'm talking about, but I'm expecting an indented asterisk...)
- Now what I've seen happening when using ** is :
- The item receives TWO bullets
- The item is indented, and then bulleted. This makes it look as though it is a sublist, a nested list. Like
- I hope this is clearer... and not becoming to messy. While I'm at it, what kind of stuff should I put up at my user page, and what kind of maintenance should I perform on my talk page (I saw a mention of blanking it up there, and archiving (but wouldn't know how to do that))? And what's that anon tag for (Am I being nosy now)?
Rygir 01:21, 1 August 2005 (UTC) PS: I wasn't expecting that result O_O
Hi Ryan: As you can see it's been a while since I first edit en. I'm from the portuguese wikipedia and I come here mainly for placing some interwikis. Indeed, nobody ever had welcome me. Thank you very much. Juntas 01:36, 1 August 2005 (UTC)
Ryan: Thanks for the welcome the other day. Sorry I haven't responded sooner but I've got involved in some copyediting and Wikification. I'm very new, and don't know how much time I can put in, or can resist putting in is probably nearer the truth. It's nice to have someone in touch so promptly. I've found getting to grips with Chat more difficult than editing. I've also finally figured out how to set up Babel boxes on my User page (Welsh and some French). Perhaps you wouldn't mind if I hit you for some advice mow and again? Again many thanks for the welcome. (Ynysgrif)
Re:Inappropriate user page
Hi Ryan - To be honest, I've not dealt with an inappropriate user page before, but I've left details about it at Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Incidents - someone there is bound to know how to proceed. Grutness...wha? 05:14, 1 August 2005 (UTC)