User talk:I JethroBT
|If you are looking to get in touch with me about m:IdeaLab, Inspire Campaigns, WMF Grants, or anything related to the Wikimedia Foundation, I will likely miss your message here. Please instead contact me at User talk:I JethroBT (WMF). Thanks!|
- 1 DYK for Trying to trash Betsy DeVos
- 2 American Dental Association
- 3 Comment
- 4 Unbanning advice
- 5 For Deletion flag raised on National Indian Students and Alumni Union
- 6 Chicago Meetup
- 7 Orphaned non-free image File:JohnBooth Rabbit.jpg
- 8 Unable to edit on wikimedia
- 9 Books and Bytes - Issue 21
- 10 Precious two years!
DYK for Trying to trash Betsy DeVos
American Dental Association
Hey Jethro. The ADA is interested in collaborating with / working on Wikipedia. They are Chicago based. Wondering if you know of any Wikipedia's who could do an inservice for them? Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 03:52, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
- @Doc James: Thanks for reaching out. There's just a few of us so far who have some capacity to run full programs in Chicago at the moment, but we might be able to arrange something. Airplaneman, TonyTheTiger and myself might all be able to help in some capacity. We have a meetup later this month where we can ask other experienced editors if they are interested. What goals do they have for working with Wikipedia, and what kind of inservice are they looking for, exactly? Thanks, I JethroBT drop me a line 18:59, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
Thanks so much for making me feel welcome! I was intimidated, still am - but not afraid to try new things. My reason for removing the rsvp, though, was because I realized I'm out of town that whole weekend. I had mistaken the date. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Datgrrl137 (talk • contribs) 16:55, 8 March 2017 (UTC) — Preceding unsigned comment added by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk • contribs)
Your message at my Talk Page has stuck with me, as you seem to be one of the few editors to actually look at the WP:ANI dispute with open eyes and try to see the situation for what it was. Even if I was far from being THE problem with that discussion, I can definitely see that I could have handled it better (even if it would have still ended up as a trainwreck). For this reason, I am asking for input on what direction I should take with getting unbanned.
On one hand, the ANI dispute itself and the result are easily ArbCom-worthy. However, I really don't want to have to go through the exact same dispute again and so, I was thinking of just going to WP:AN and making an unban request focusing on "Why I shouldn't be banned from comics" instead of "What happened at the dispute". But I'm also worried that, if I post an unban request there, certain users that I won't name will immediately accuse it of being disruptive (no matter what it says), or someone will try to disrupt it with more accusations. What is your opinion on what I should do? DarkKnight2149 20:12, 10 March 2017 (UTC)
- @Darkknight2149: If you want to post an unban request at WP:AN, here's what I have to say. You said you want to focus on Why I shouldn't be banned from comics instead of What happened at the dispute, and I think that's a step in the right direction in terms of making a successful unban request in general. The other important matter is focusing on the other thing you said above, I can definitely see that I could have handled it better. If you know how to handle yourself better, tell us in your request. The reason why this is important is because folks will be looking at your request to ascertain whether you understand why you were topic banned, and what you will do to avoid that behavior in the future when you contribute in this topic area. I JethroBT drop me a line 20:58, 12 March 2017 (UTC)
- I see your point (they want to know that this won't happen again). Though, the problem with the ban to begin with, is that it doesn't have anything to do with the topic area. I was banned for the self-contained argument at ANI, not for anything that happened at WP:COMICS. Regardless, thanks for the advice. DarkKnight2149 19:30, 13 March 2017 (UTC)
For Deletion flag raised on National Indian Students and Alumni Union
Thanks for the advice and feedback on Saturday. It was good to finally meet other Wikipedians after all this time. I've being busy with some job-related things the last few days but I hope to get back to my Wikipedia tasks soon.
- @Mtminchi08: Glad you were able to join us! Hope to see you at a future event. And thanks for taking the time to help me understand that issue; let me know if you need a second opinion on anything. I JethroBT drop me a line 16:07, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
Orphaned non-free image File:JohnBooth Rabbit.jpg
Thanks for uploading File:JohnBooth Rabbit.jpg. The image description page currently specifies that the image is non-free and may only be used on Wikipedia under a claim of fair use. However, the image is currently not used in any articles on Wikipedia. If the image was previously in an article, please go to the article and see why it was removed. You may add it back if you think that that will be useful. However, please note that images for which a replacement could be created are not acceptable for use on Wikipedia (see our policy for non-free media).
Note that any non-free images not used in any articles will be deleted after seven days, as described in section F5 of the criteria for speedy deletion. Thank you. Ronhjones (Talk) 23:59, 30 March 2017 (UTC)
Unable to edit on wikimedia
Hi, I JethroBT, Sorry for contacting you through here about unblocking questions, but the question is that i'm frequently being affected by blocking on ip range that i'm usually part of, and this time i've been blocked for editing on wikimedia, and i'm not even able to edit on my user page or talk page on wikimedia in order to request for an unblocking request.
I've contacted two administrators i believe for more than a week, but the question still unsolved and there's no answer.
Since, you are an administrator, i'm contacting, expecting you can solve it, please..
- @Dorivaldo de C. M. dos Santos: Thanks for your request. There's a permission called IP block exempt available that will effectively override any IP rangeblocks. Can I ask how frequently this has happened to you? I JethroBT drop me a line 16:38, 5 April 2017 (UTC)
- @Dorivaldo de C. M. dos Santos: Ah, I just noticed that you were given this permission yesterday! Looks like you should be all set. Thanks, I JethroBT drop me a line 17:31, 5 April 2017 (UTC)
- @I JethroBT: Hi, Thank You for your attention, I just noticed that I'm still not able to edit on my user page on meta.wikimedia.org in order to request for an IP block exempt. The frequency it's happening, lately, is high, i guess it is the fourth time, and third this year. The problem I found, is because of users on same range IP address misusing Wikimedia's web sites.
- Thank You, once again,
- Dorivaldo de C. M. dos Santos (talk) 18:36, 5 April 2017 (UTC)
- @Dorivaldo de C. M. dos Santos: I'm not an administrator on Meta, so you'll need to make a request to a Steward to get IP-block exempt on that project. Probably the fastest way to get in touch with one is to use the IRC channel for Stewards (#wikimedia-stewards) and write !steward in chat. I JethroBT drop me a line 19:57, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
- Dorivaldo de C. M. dos Santos (talk) 18:36, 5 April 2017 (UTC)
Books and Bytes - Issue 21
Precious two years!