A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
VeeamON conference hall
|Privately held company|
Ratmir Timashev |
Andrei Baronov (Co-CEO, CTO and Co-Founder)
|Peter McKay (Co-CEO and President)|
|Revenue||US$ (2017) 827 million|
Number of employees
Veeam Software is a privately held information technology company that develops backup, disaster recovery and intelligent data management software for virtual, physical and multi-cloud infrastructures.The company’s headquarters is in Baar, Switzerland.
The name "Veeam" came from the phonetic pronunciation of the letters "VM", as in virtual machine.
Ratmir Timashev and Andrei Baronov founded Veeam in 2006. Timashev and Baronov had sold their previous IT management software company, Aelita Software Corporation, to Quest Software in 2004; Dell subsequently acquired Quest Software in 2012. On June 2016, Dell announced the sale of their software division, which included Quest, to Francisco Partners and Elliott Management Corporation.
The first Veeam products, Veeam Monitor and Veeam Reporter, provided virtual-infrastructure monitoring, reporting, analysis and documentation. Later, in 2010, the company combined both products to form Veeam ONE. Veeam gained attention in 2007 with its free VM backup copy product, FastSCP which became a basis for building Veeam's data-protection software for hardware virtualization.
In 2016, Veeam appointed Peter C. McKay, prior Senior Vice President and General Manager, Americas with VMware, as President/COO. In 2017, Peter McKay and Andrei Baronov were promoted to the company’s Co-CEO roles.
The company has a number of international offices, including regional headquarters for EMEA in Paris, France, for the Americas in Columbus, Ohio, for the Middle East in Dubai and for the Asia-Pacific region in Sydney, Australia.
In 2008, with 10 employees, the company released Veeam Backup & Replication, a tool that provided VMware vSphere VMs with incremental backups and image-based replication, with built-in data deduplication and compression. Veeam Backup & Replication started supporting Microsoft Hyper-V in 2012.
In 2015, Veeam extended its product line with a free backup utility for physical endpoints — Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE. This utility supports PCs running 32- and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows OS and integrates with Veeam Backup & Replication. In the same year, Veeam released Veeam FastSCP for Microsoft Azure, a tool for copying files between on-premises and Microsoft Azure VMs.
In 2016, Veeam launched Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365, a software utility for backing up Office 365 Exchange servers, and Veeam Availability Orchestrator, a multi-hypervisor disaster recovery orchestration software with documenting, testing and reporting capabilities.
In 2017, Veeam introduced three new products for physical and cloud workloads:
- Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows and Veeam Agent for Linux — applications dedicated to physical workload data protection with various backup/restore scenarios including cloud.
- Veeam Availability Console — a free tool for managing Veeam-powered data protection and disaster recovery in distributed infrastructures and enabling BaaS and DRaaS services delivered through service providers.
This resulted in two new products:
- Veeam nworks Management Pack for VMware allowed users to directly integrate VMware management into Microsoft System Center Operations Manager.
- Veeam nworks Smart Plug-In for VMware allowed users to directly integrate VMware management into HP OpenView.
In 2012, both products were renamed to Veeam Management Pack and Veeam Smart Plug-In, omitting the word "nworks."
Awards and honors
- Veeam was awarded three GOLD and two SILVER Stevie International Business Awards 2015.
- Late 2015, Veeam won "Backup and Recovery/Archive Product of the Year" from SVC Awards.
- Veeam was named Market Leader in the Ovum Decision Matrix: Data Availability and Protection Solution for the Cloud Era, 2016-17.
- Veeam was selected the winner in the Preferred Data Recovery Solution category of the WindowsNetworking.com Readers’ Choice Awards.
- Veeam Availability Suite was named Product of the Year for Backup & DR Software and Services by Storage magazine/SearchStorage.com and was awarded the 2015 Editor's Choice Award from Virtualization Review.
- Veeam ONE won VirtualizationAdmin.com Readers’ Choice Award.
- Veeam Backup & Replication v9 was named the Product of the Year in the category: Software and Cloud Solutions – Backup by IT Professional magazine.
- Veeam was listed for the second consecutive year in Forbes 2017 World’s Best 100 Cloud Companies.
- Veeam was included for the second consecutive year as one of the “Leaders” in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Center Backup and Recovery Software.
- Veeam Availability Suite 9.5 won a Product of the Year award in the Backup and Disaster Recovery Software and Services category by TechTarget’s Storage magazine and SearchStorage.
- SMB World named Veeam Availability Suite 9.5 a winner of the SMB World Awards 2017, in the Software category.
- Veeam was named one of the 100 Coolest Cloud Computing Vendors of 2018 by CRN, a brand of The Channel Company.
- Veeam won the inaugural Hewlett-Packard Enterprise (HPE) Momentum Technology Partner of the Year 2018 — Data and Analytics Solutions Award.
- Veeam was recognized as a 2018 Gartner Peer Insights Customer's Choice Distinction winner for Data Center Backup and Recovery Software.
- StorageNewsletter (January 10, 2018). "$827 Million in 2017 Total Bookings for Veeam". StorageNewsletter.com. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- "22% Y/Y Growth for Veeam in 2015". StorageNewsletter. January 27, 2016.
- Mellor, Chris (23 May 2013). "Backup bods Veeam quietly gobbling up ever-greater market share". The Register.
- Rogers, Bruce (7 January 2014). "Is Veeam The Next $Billion Virtualization and Cloud Software Company?". Forbes.
- "Official company registry for Veeam Software AG in Baar, Zug, Switzerland". State of Zug. Archived from the original on 2014-11-09. Retrieved 2015-01-08.
- Sramana Mitra (August 22, 2014). "Unicorn in the Making: Veeam CEO Ratmir Timashev". One Million by One Million. Retrieved November 22, 2015.
- "Aelita buyout closes". Columbus Business First. 18 March 2004.
- RUSLI, EVELYN M. (2 July 2012). "Dell Acquires Quest". The New York Times.
- Miller, Ron. "Confirmed: Dell sells software division to Francisco Partners and Elliott Management". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- "Release: Veeam ONE 1.0". Virtualization.info. September 7, 2010. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- Dubie, Denise (5 September 2007). "Veeam takes on virtual management". Network World. Archived from the original on 1 November 2008. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- Buffington, Jason (6 October 2014). "Could VeeamON be the next MMS?". Enterprise Strategy Group.
- "Veeam Appoints New President And CEO | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews". www.storagereview.com. 2016-06-28. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- "Release: Veeam Backup 1.0". Virtualization.info. March 3, 2008. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- Sander Martijn (December 1, 2011). "Veeam Backup & Replication v6 released". VMGuru. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- Mellor, Chris (15 June 2015). "Veeam-ing all the way to the bank: No IPO for these VM replicants". The Register.
- Adam Armstrong (6 May 2015). "Veeam Introduces FastSCP For Azure & Management Pack v8 For System Center". StorageReview.
- "With Microsoft Office 365 backup, Veeam breaks into new market". Searchdatabackup Techtarget. 10 November 2016.
- "What is Veeam Availability Orchestrator? | ESX Virtualization". ESX Virtualization. 2018-03-02. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- "Touching the physical world: Veeam Agents for Windows & Linux". Running System. 3 March 2017.
- "Veeam Availability Console offers multi-tenant environment management". TechGenix. 2017-12-14. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- Dubie, Denise (24 June 2008). "Virtual server management marriage: Veeam acquires Nworks". Network World. Archived from the original on 20 March 2009. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- "Veeam acquisition of N2WS enhances cloud protection". SearchDataBackup. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- Bent, Kristin (29 October 2013). "The Top 25 Innovators Of 2013". CRN Magazine.
- Kuranda, Sarah (3 August 2015). "The Top 25 Innovators Of 2015". CRN Magazine.
- "2015 Stevie Award Winners | Stevie Awards". stevieawards.com. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- SVC Awards (15 December 2015). "2015 WINNERS AND RUNNERS-UP". SVC.
- "Veeam Named Market Leader in Data Availability | Scoop News". www.scoop.co.nz. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- "WindowsNetworking.com Readers' Choice Awards". windowsnetworking.com. Archived from the original on 2016-06-25.
- "Veeam Availability Suite v8". SearchDataBackup. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- "Virtualization - TechGenix". TechGenix. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- "Veeam Software's Veeam Availability Suite v9". SearchDataBackup. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- Dave Russell; Pushan Rinnen; Robert Rhame (31 July 2017). "Magic Quadrant for Data Center Backup and Recovery Software". Gartner.
- "Best data storage products 2017: Products of the Year". SearchStorage. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- "SMB Awards 2017". www.questexevent.com. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- Griffin, Chris (2018-02-05). "The 100 Coolest Cloud Computing Vendors Of 2018". CRN. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- "Veeam Momentum Continues as the Company Strengthens its Partnership with HPEDATAQUEST". www.dqindia.com. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- Inc., Gartner,. "Gartner Peer Insights Customers' Choice 2018 - Data Center Backup and Recovery Solutions". Gartner. Retrieved 2018-07-05.
- "Veeam Receives 2018 Gartner Peer Insights Customers' Choice Recognition". The Availability Lounge. 2018-02-26. Retrieved 2018-07-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Veeam.|