Victor R. Basili, born April 13, 1940 in Brooklyn, New York, is an emeritus professor at the Department of Computer Science, which is part of the University of Maryland College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences, and the Institute for Advanced Computer Studies. He holds a Ph.D. in computer science from the University of Texas at Austin and two honorary degrees. He is a fellow of both the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE).
From 1982 through 1988 he was chair of the Department of Computer Science at the University of Maryland. He is currently a senior research fellow at the Fraunhofer Center for Experimental Software Engineering - Maryland and from 1997-2004 was its executive director.
He is well known for his works on measuring, evaluating, and improving the software development process, as a pioneer of empirical software engineering, especially through his papers on the Goal/Question/Metric Approach, the Quality Improvement Paradigm, and the Experience Factory. Many of these ideas developed through his affiliation with the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Software Engineering Laboratory (SEL), which he helped to create and was one of its directors from 1976 through 2002.
- "Curriculum vitae" (PDF). 2008-11-14. Retrieved 2008-11-18.
- Computer Aid, Inc. (January 2007). "Focus on Dr. Victor Basili: A CAI State of the Practice Interview" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-11-12.
- "Dr. Victor R. Basili UMD home page". Retrieved 2008-11-12.
- Shull, F.; Seaman, C.; Zelkowltz, M. (2006). "Victor R. Basili's Contributions to Software Quality". IEEE Software. 23: 16–18. doi:10.1109/MS.2006.33.
- Basili V., F. McGarry, R. Pajerski, M. Zelkowitz, Lessons learned from 25 years of process improvement: The rise and fall of the NASA Software Engineering Laboratory, IEEE Computer Society and ACM International Conf. on Soft. Eng., Orlando FL, May 2002, 69-79.
- Barry Boehm; Hans Dieter Rombach; Marvin V. Zelkowitz (2005). Foundations of Empirical Software Engineering: The Legacy of Victor R. Basili. Springer-Verlag New York, Inc. ISBN 978-3-540-24547-6.