Videbæk is a town and a former municipality (Danish, kommune) in Ringkøbing-Skjern Municipality, Region Midtjylland. The town is close to Ringkøbing Fjord on the Jutland peninsula in west Denmark. The former Videbæk municipality covered an area of 289 km2, and had a total population of 12,140 (2005). Its last mayor was Torben Nørregaard, a member of the Venstre (Liberal Party) political party.
The town of Videbæk
The town of Videbæk, with a population of 4,273 (1 January 2014), is known for Per Arnoldi's large corten steel sculpture in the shape of a V, known as "The V", which is found at a roundabout at the entrance to the town. The sculpture was dedicated on 15 August 1996.
The Videbæk Transmitter is one of the tallest masts in Denmark.
The town has a local area museum (Videbæk Egnsmuseum) that opened in 2002 on an old family farm with stables, barn, and machine house. The collection features farm and handicrafts machinery and tools, as well as household daily items that are typical of the daily life in the area. It also has a collection of Danish elf (nisser) dolls that were donated by Ellen Bredahl, formerly holder of the Guinness Record for the largest collection of these popular Danish dolls.
The art pavilion Vestjyllands Kunstpavillon (VK) opened in 2017, designed by Henning Larsen Architects. It is situated in a small park and exhibits changing artists and hosts concerts, lectures and cultural events. Architect Henning Larsen grew up around Videbæk and the art pavilion has some of his artwork on permanent display. There is also a permanent museum dedicated to Danish artist Arne Haugen Sørensen.
The formermunicipality was created in 1970 due to a kommunalreform ("Municipality Reform") that combined a number of existing parishes:
- Brejning Parish
- Brejning Parish
- Nørre Vium Parish
- Troldhede Parish
- Videbæk Parish
- Vorgod Parish.
On January 1, 2007 Videbæk municipality ceased to exist due to Kommunalreformen ("The Municipality Reform" of 2007). It was merged with Egvad, Holmsland, Ringkøbing, and Skjern municipalities to form the new Ringkøbing-Skjern Municipality. This created a municipality with an area of 1,485 km2 and a total population of 57,818 (2005).
Videbæk municipality was recognised as the Year's Environment Municipality (Årets Miljøkommunne) in 1991, the Year's Entrepreneurial Municipality (Årets Iværksætterkommune) in 1992, and one of four Green City Municipalities in 1993-1994.
- Jens Berthel Askou (born 1982 in Videbæk) a Danish football coach and former professional footballer
- Ida (born 1994 in Videbæk) Ida Østergaard Madsen is a Danish singer who won season 5 of the Danish X Factor
- Henning Larsen (1925-2013), architect. He grew up around Videbæk.
- BEF44: Population 1st January, by urban areas database from Statistics Denmark
- "Vestjyllands Kunstpavillon" (in Danish). Vestjyllands Kunstpavillon. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Arne Haugen Sørensen Museum åbner i Videbæk" [Arne Haugen Sørensen Museum opens in Videbæk] (in Danish). kunsten.nu. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Arne Haugen Sørensen Museum i Videbæk" (in Danish). TV MidtVest. 9 September 2017. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- Municipal statistics: NetBorger Kommunefakta, delivered from KMD aka Kommunedata (Municipal Data)
- Municipal mergers and neighbors: Eniro new municipalities map
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Videbæk.|