June 5, 1975 |
|Alma mater||University of Helsinki|
|Occupation||CEO, Angel investor|
|Relatives||Tuomas Vimma (Brother), Jorma K. Miettinen (Grandfather)|
Ville Ilmari Miettinen (Born June 5, 1975 in Geneva, Switzerland) is a Finnish serial entrepreneur and computer programmer. Miettinen was the co-founder and CTO of Hybrid Graphics, a graphics technology company acquired by NVIDIA in 2006. Miettinen is a founding partner at Lots, one of the accelerators in the Finnish governmental Vigo Programme. Miettinen is also the CEO and co-founder of the crowdsourcing technology company Microtask.
Entrepreneurship and venturing
Miettinen is the chairman of the board of the ACM SIGGRAPH Helsinki Chapter, an advisory board member of IGDA Finland, a referrer at the European pre-seed venture fund HackFwd, and a startup mentor at Aalto Venture Garage. He has held board seats in a number of graphics and gaming related companies, including Fake Graphics, Xiha, Recoil Games, Ardites (merged with Symbio ), and Cowboy Rodeo. He is also a technical advisory board member at the fabless semiconductor company Movidius and a referrer with the European pre-seed investment company HackFwd.
Graphics industry technology focus
Miettinen was actively involved in the Khronos Group, participating in the standardization of OpenGL ES, OpenVG and OpenKODE, as well as in the Java Community Process where he contributed to the JSR-184, JSR-297, and JSR-239 standards. He is the co-author of the SurRender 3D engine and the dPVS occlusion culling middleware.
Miettinen is a frequent lecturer at various universities and industry events, such as Game Developers Conference, SIGGRAPH, EUROGRAPHICS and CrowdConf. He also contributes to different blogs related to crowdsourcing and entrepreneurship.
Miettinen is an avid hobbyist photographer.
- NVIDIA press release: NVIDIA Corporation to Acquire Hybrid Graphics, March 22, 2006
- Arctic Startup: Government-Backed Accelerators Chosen - March on Finland, July 24, 2009
- Vigo programme home page
- New York Times: When the Assembly Line Moves Online, October 31, 2010
- Microtask management
- ACM SIGGRAPH Chapters
- IGDA Finland: New Advisory Board Members, December 27, 2010
- HackFwd people
- Arctic Startup:HackFwd has come to Finland, 9 November 2010
- Aalto Venture Garage Coaches
- CrunchBase on Fake Graphics
- XIHA Closes First Round Financing - Finland Enjoys Increased Activity in VC Investments, 26 January 2010
- GigaOm: Symbio Makes a Global Play With Merger, 22 Sep, 2009
- Movidius Technical Advisory Board
- dPVS: An Occlusion Culling System for Massive Dynamic Environments
- SIGGRAPH 2005 courses
- Eurographics 2006: Developing Mobile 3D Applications with OpenGL ES and M3G
- CrowdConf 2010: Possible vs. Impossible: Determining the Power of Crowdsourcing
- Microtask Blog
- The Daily Crowdsource
- Boardman2020 Blog (in Finnish)
- Artist Spotlight: Totally Overdone HDR Photography (& Lovin' It!) 02 Apr, 2010