This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Open standards for graphics, media and parallel computation|
|Purpose||Creating open standards to enable the authoring and acceleration of graphics, rich media and parallel computation on a wide variety of platforms and devices|
|Headquarters||Beaverton, Oregon, US|
The Khronos Group, Inc. is an American non-profit member-funded industry consortium based in Beaverton, Oregon, focused on the creation of open standard, royalty-free application programming interfaces (APIs) for authoring and accelerated playback of dynamic media on a wide variety of platforms and devices. Khronos members may contribute to the development of Khronos API specifications, vote at various stages before public deployment, and accelerate delivery of their platforms and applications through early access to specification drafts and conformance tests.
The Khronos Group was founded in 2000 by companies including ATI Technologies, Discreet, Evans & Sutherland, Intel Corporation, NVIDIA, Silicon Graphics (SGI), and Sun Microsystems. It now has roughly 120 member companies, over 30 adopters, and 24 conforming members. Its president is Neil Trevett.
- EGL, an interface between Khronos rendering APIs such as OpenGL ES or OpenVG and the underlying native platform window system
- glTF, a file format specification for 3D scenes and models
- NNEF reduces machine learning deployment fragmentation by enabling a rich mix of neural network training tools and inference engines to be used by applications across a diverse range of devices and platforms
- OpenCL, a cross-platform computation API.
- OpenGL, a cross-platform computer graphics API
- OpenGL ES, a derivative of OpenGL for use on mobile and embedded systems, such as cell phones, portable gaming devices, and more
- OpenGL SC, a safety critical profile of OpenGL ES designed to meet the needs of the safety-critical market
- OpenVG, an API for accelerating processing of 2D vector graphics
- OpenVX, Hardware acceleration API for Computer Vision applications and libraries
- OpenXR, an open and royalty-free standard for virtual reality and augmented reality applications and devices
- SPIR, an intermediate compiler target for OpenCL and Vulkan
- SYCL, a single-source C++ DSEL for heterogeneous computing
- Vulkan, a low-overhead computer graphics API
- COLLADA, a file-format intended to facilitate interchange of 3D assets
- OpenML, an API for capturing, transporting, processing, displaying, and synchronizing digital media
- OpenKODE, an API for providing abstracted, portable access to operating system resources such as file systems, networks and math libraries
- OpenKCam, Advanced Camera Control API
- OpenMAX, a layered set of three programming interfaces of various abstraction levels, providing access to multimedia functionality
- OpenSL ES, an audio API tuned for embedded systems, standardizing access to features such as 3D positional audio and MIDI playback
- OpenWF, APIs for 2D graphics composition and display control
- StreamInput, an API for consistently handling input devices
Khronos Group divides its members followingly:
- Promoter - have full working group participation and voting rights plus the right to designate a Director to the Khronos Board.
- Contributor - have full working group participation and voting rights.
- Associate - have full working group participation but without working group voting rights.
- Academic - have full working group participation but without working group voting rights.
Current members (as of 11 November 2016[update]) are (highlights):
- ATI (before being purchased by AMD)
- Creative Technology
- id Software
- Lucasfilm Ltd.
- Oracle/Sun Microsystems
Khronos Group maintains current lists of its members on its website.
- "OpenGL ARB to pass control of OpenGL specification to Khronos Group". Khronos press release.
- "OpenGL ARB to Pass Control of OpenGL Specification to Khronos Group". AccessMyLibrary Archive.
- "Khronos Group Conformant members".
- "EGL Overview". Khronos website. October 15, 2009.
- "glTF". Khronos website. September 2, 2016.
- Neural Network Exchange Format (NNEF)
- "Khronos launches heterogeneous computing initiative". Khronos press release. June 16, 2008.
- "Khronos Members". khronos.org.
- Wawro, Alex (September 22, 2015). "Nintendo joins graphics standards body Khronos Group". Gamasutra.
- "Khronos members". khronos.org.